PFF Offensive Lineman Grades

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Either you can play or you can't play. If you decide you can play you are expected to perform like you are 100% when you step on the field.

This sounds like dumb shit coach potatoes say. That isnt how it works at all.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Lol. Ok meatball.
That's the expectation in the NFL. I've heard similar sentiments shared by players themselves. There is no 70% or 80% healthy in the NFL. Its either you play or you don't. But if you play the expectation is always the same.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
For example, if Fields goes out Sunday and throws an interception on an underthrow because his thumb isn't fully healed is anyone going to cut him some slack?

@remydat @bamainatlanta

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
That's the expectation in the NFL. I've heard similar sentiments shared by players themselves. There is no 70% or 80% healthy in the NFL. Its either you play or you don't. But if you play the expectation is always the same.

Its the exact thing that players themselves say.
Hockenson gauged himself as 80% healthy last week.

“I think that’s probably a pretty accurate assessment of where he was. Seeing how he was on Friday and then how the guys managed the pain going up to the game and everything.

So, there’s always a – they get to a certain point and they know that they can probably make it through. [Former NFL OL Jonathan] Ogden, I always referenced these other cats, but Jonathan Ogden was the same guy. I remember it was the first time I heard it, we were in Baltimore and he goes, yeah, the guy I’m playing today, I can play at 75, 80%. Now if we were playing [former NFL DE] Dwight Freeney, I don’t know if I could go at 80%, 85%. I don’t think anybody is playing at 100% in this league.

Everybody gets hurt, right? And so, playing at 100% once the season starts is really hard. To say you feel fresh as a daisy and all that is not probably it. So, I would say that’s probably what he was but it didn’t show. I think there were certain plays. It wasn’t like the championship game a few years ago against the Rams where he wasn’t anywhere near that and then it showed out almost every play.”

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Hockenson gauged himself as 80% healthy last week.

“I think that’s probably a pretty accurate assessment of where he was. Seeing how he was on Friday and then how the guys managed the pain going up to the game and everything.

So, there’s always a – they get to a certain point and they know that they can probably make it through. [Former NFL OL Jonathan] Ogden, I always referenced these other cats, but Jonathan Ogden was the same guy. I remember it was the first time I heard it, we were in Baltimore and he goes, yeah, the guy I’m playing today, I can play at 75, 80%. Now if we were playing [former NFL DE] Dwight Freeney, I don’t know if I could go at 80%, 85%. I don’t think anybody is playing at 100% in this league.

Everybody gets hurt, right? And so, playing at 100% once the season starts is really hard. To say you feel fresh as a daisy and all that is not probably it. So, I would say that’s probably what he was but it didn’t show. I think there were certain plays. It wasn’t like the championship game a few years ago against the Rams where he wasn’t anywhere near that and then it showed out almost every play.”

You don't get an asterisk next to your stats that say "played injured." Just like you dont get any extra credit if the guy you are up against is struggling through pain, etc.

Of course guys are playing injured and through some pain. But the expectation is the same as if they weren't once they step on the field. Everyone is judged by the same standard once they choose to play in the game.

Maybe you can make the argument there is some rare exceptions for veteran players who have proven their worth over a long period of time. I'll comcede that, but generally speaking, you don't get a pass.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
If that is the reason then sure. If he throws an int because he misread the D or threw into double coverage then no.
The point is that there is no way of 100% knowing the real reason or knowing how every player's injury affects the game. Instead you are left to make a judgement call.

Maybe the injury's affects are more subtle. Maybe it results in Field's running more. Maybe it results in more throws around the line of scrimmage. Maybe the defense is able to crowd the box knowing the QB isn't throwing deep. Maybe shotgun snaps are bobbled and timing is thrown off. Etc.

There are many effects. The expectation is still the same. Maybe some would try and make a judgement call and make excuses. But the majority would have the same high expectations of their QB or would demand he sut the bench until healthy.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Sure, you play or don't but you don't grade that p[lay on the same scale. Stop conflating.

Not directly related but I think injured players too often play when their backup could do better and it can also delay the healing process. It's obviously a macho sport but it shouldn't limit the use of branes.

Less so on shitty teams like the Bear but a generality.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You don't get an asterisk next to your stats that say "played injured." Just like you dont get any extra credit if the guy you are up against is struggling through pain, etc.

Of course guys are playing injured and through some pain. But the expectation is the same as if they weren't once they step on the field. Everyone is judged by the same standard once they choose to play in the game.

Maybe you can make the argument there is some rare exceptions for veteran players who have proven their worth over a long period of time. I'll comcede that, but generally speaking, you don't get a pass.

You claimed players dont say they are under 100% and I gave you examples of them saying just that. If you are playing injured people still expect you to produce but no they dont expect you to produce at the same level as if you were healthy. Tjat is just a delusional take.
The point is that there is no way of 100% knowing the real reason or knowing how every player's injury affects the game. Instead you are left to make a judgement call.

Maybe the injury's affects are more subtle. Maybe it results in Field's running more. Maybe it results in more throws around the line of scrimmage. Maybe the defense is able to crowd the box knowing the QB isn't throwing deep. Maybe shotgun snaps are bobbled and timing is thrown off. Etc.

There are many effects. The expectation is still the same. Maybe some would try and make a judgement call and make excuses. But the majority would have the same high expectations of their QB or would demand he sut the bench until healthy.
Or someone could just ask the player and they will tell you whether an injury was factor or not.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Injuries are always factors whether they say so or not. The issue is always how much and if the injured player is better than his backup while not getting worse. It's football. Thinking everyone on the field is playing at a 100% level is ludicrous.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
** UPDATED ON FRONT PAGE AS WELL**

After Week 15:
(Included Bye Week, Only 4 games since last update)

Darnell Wright
Snaps: 936
Penalties: 10
Sacks Allowed: 7
Grade: 61.2 -1.9

Lucas Patrick
Snaps: 809
Penalties: 8
Sacks Allowed: 0
Grade: 50.0 +3.3

Cody Whitehair
Snaps: 683
Penalties: 2
Sacks Allowed: 3
Grade: 43.1 -1.6

Teven Jenkins
Snaps: 610
Penalties: 4
Sacks Allowed: 1
Grade: 74.9 +2.9

Braxton Jones
Snaps: 533
Penalties: 7
Grade: 65.8 +4.3

Nate Davis:
Snaps: 506
Penalties: 3
Grade: 55.6 +/- 0.0

Larry Borom
Snaps: 408
Penalties: 5
Grade: 48.0 -1.5

Ja'Tyre Carter
Snaps: 175
Penalties: 1
Grade: 49.0 +/- 0.0

Dan Feeney
Snaps: 43
Penalties: 0
Grade: 57.0 -3.0

Average Grade for top 5 OL with most snaps: 59.0 +3.8
Average Grade for all OL over 10% of snaps: 55.95 +0.69

Other Significant Stats

Total Sacks Allowed: 41 (26th in League)
Sack Percentage: 8.6% (26th in League)
Pass Attempts: 438 (25th in League)
Total Dropbacks: 479[/B][/B]

Last edited:

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Observations:

1. Fields is still taking sacks, but less than he did in the beginning of the season. Justin averaged 2.75 sacks a game in the last 4 game stretch wheras he averaged 4 sacks a game for the first 6 games of the season before getting injured.

2. Nonetheless, over the course of the season Fields is still averaging 3.5 sacks per game. This is well off Bagent's mark during the 4 game stretch he started at QB. During that time he averaged only 1.25 allowed sacks per game.

3. We have 3 young players with 61+ passing grades: Tevin Jenkins, Darnell Wright, and Braxton Jones.

4. Outside of Jenkins, We can't seem to get the interior shored up. Good thing is that interior OLineman are usually easier and/or cheaper to find than your tackles.

5. Teven Jenkins is a stud. Enough said.

6. Our offense is 25th in the league in attempted passes, yet 26th in sacks allowed.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
** UPDATED ON FRONT PAGE AS WELL**

After Week 18 (END OF SEASON)

Darnell Wright

Snaps: 1127
Penalties: 11
Sacks Allowed: 7
Grade: 62.4 +1.2

Lucas Patrick

Snaps: 953
Penalties: 11
Grade: 50.5 +0.5

Cody Whitehair

Snaps: 787
Penalties: 2
Grade: 45.0 +1.9

Teven Jenkins

Snaps: 731
Penalties: 4
Grade: 73.4 -1.5

Braxton Jones

Snaps: 724
Penalties: 9
Sacks Allowed: 2
Grade: 68.7 +3.1

Nate Davis
:
Snaps: 663
Penalties: 6
Grade: 52.9 -2.7

Larry Borom

Snaps: 411
Penalties: 5
Grade: 48.0 +/- 0.0

Ja'Tyre Carter

Snaps: 175
Grade: 49.0 +/- 0.0

Dan Feeney
Snaps: 90
Grade: 44.8

Average Grade for top 5 OL with most snaps: 60.0 +1.0

Average Grade for all OL over 10% of snaps:
56.23 +0.28

Other Significant Stats

Total Sacks Allowed: 50 (25th in League)
Sack Percentage: 8.9% (26th in League)
Pass Attempts: 513 (27th in League)
Total Dropbacks: 563

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
My End of Season Observations

We were able to slightly improve as a unit as the season went on. This mostly had to do with simply getting healthy and fielding the trio of Darnell Wright (62.4), Braxton Jones (68.7) and Teven Jenkins (73.4).

2. We were never able to figure out the interior of the OL. Between Cody Whitehair and Lucas Patrick, we couldn’t sort out the Center position. Nate Davis was in and out of the line-up as well which caused a lot of flip flopping along the line. When he did play, Davis didn’t grade out well by PFF’s metrics.

3. Despite being towards the bottom of the league with 50 sacks allowed on 8.9% of dropbacks, this is an improvement from 2022 where we allowed 58 sacks on 13.3% of dropbacks. Last year it was obvious the staff would just stop throwing completely because the likelihood of a sack was so high. In 2022, we were dead last by a mile in most passing categories. This year we were competent at times and in the least weren't dead last across the board.

4. It’s time to completely revamp the depth of our Oline. There really aren’t any promising signs of growth from anyone on our bench. Larry Borom, Ja’Tyre Carter, and Dan Feeney all graded out under 50. Preferably, you would like to give those reps to someone else who may grow into a solid contributor.

5. Build Around the main three youngsters, Wright, Jones, and Jenkins. Keep Nate Davis for another year. Everyone else can go. We need a new Center, Versatile OG who can play Center in a pinch, and a Swing Tackle who can maybe push to start.

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
19. CHICAGO BEARS
Best lineup:
LT Braxton Jones
LG Teven Jenkins
C Lucas Patrick
RG Nate Davis
RT Darnell Wright

Key players Braxton Jones, Teven Jenkins and Nate Davis all missed time early in the season, which took a toll on the Bears' offensive line. Once the young group was at full strength, it flashed enough promise to make Bears fans optimistic about the future.
During the front five's best stretch, between Week 6 and Week 14, it ranked 13th in pass-blocking efficiency.
Best player: Teven Jenkins
Between Week 9 and Week 15, Jenkins earned the fifth-highest grade among guards.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
During the front five's best stretch, between Week 6 and Week 14, it ranked 13th in pass-blocking efficiency.
Best player: Teven Jenkins
Between Week 9 and Week 15, Jenkins earned the fifth-highest grade among guards.

Coincidentally, week 6 is when Tyson Bagent started at QB through week 10. To be fair, it was also the first week we had Teven Jenkins at 100% but we were still missing Nate Davis and Braxton Jones.

It wasn't until week 11, when Justin came back, that we had a fully healthy OLine and could afford to bench a rapidly declining Cody Whitehair.

Also, week 13 was a BYE week. So only three of those games Fields was even QB.