pick an outfielder...

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
SS moving to 3B are fairly common. See A-rod and Cal Ripken. It's typically an easier position defensively because you don't have to have as much of range. However, you do have to have a bit better reflexes as the ball is on you faster.

True. They are going to give Bryant every opportunity to man 3rd base, but with his frame, he is best suited in the long run for the outfield. Not too many players as tall as he is play a stellar 3rd base.

Scott Rolen comes to mind, but if I had my choice, I would take a former SS growing up and converting him to 3rd base any day. Baez is 6', and I would much rather him be the power hitter at 3rd base rather than quarterbacking the defense at SS. Let someone else do that.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I still believe they need to make that commitment to Baez going to 3B in Iowa. If he sticks at SS next year there I'd be thinking that they are going to cash in on Castro because Castro failed to adapt to their methods of hitting and his mental lapses in the field.

Baez's errors are due to his aggressive nature not out of lapses. (boredom)

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I still believe they need to make that commitment to Baez going to 3B in Iowa. If he sticks at SS next year there I'd be thinking that they are going to cash in on Castro because Castro failed to adapt to their methods of hitting and his mental lapses in the field.

Baez's errors are due to his aggressive nature not out of lapses. (boredom)

Baez gets by at short by good instincts. Castro ceiling at short is higher on the glove side. Let's get someone in there with castro. I would think the cubs would be hesitant to give up on a young player they just gave a lengthy contract to. It doesn't show good on the front office. Baez bat projects to any position. Third he could be outstanding at. Alcantara also projects to a plus glove at second but not short. He doesn't have the arm Baez or castro does and second fits him like a glove. Bryant has a strong arm and a frame made for of. Then the cubs can go from there

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
To be honest the more and more I think about it. Lake would e a guy I would trade out if he does well. He doesn't really for going forward and has tools teams will covet if he shows production at the ml level.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
It's good that this thread went from "Pie in the Sky" to a tangent and more productive conversation.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
SS moving to 3B are fairly common. See A-rod and Cal Ripken. It's typically an easier position defensively because you don't have to have as much of range. However, you do have to have a bit better reflexes as the ball is on you faster.

im not disagreeing, just saying until the cubs move bryant to the OF im going to believe they intend on him being their 3Bmen..
so, until position moves are made we have to assume their looking at bryant at 3B, castro at SS, and Baez at 2B

javier Baez can be the cubs robinson cano at 2B...

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
The other option is they are leaving people where they are until they have to make a decision. If the front office sours on Castro they could potentially move him which would open up other options. However, I still see them going with Bryant in RF, Baez at 3B and Alacantara at 2B.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The other option is they are leaving people where they are until they have to make a decision. If the front office sours on Castro they could potentially move him which would open up other options. However, I still see them going with Bryant in RF, Baez at 3B and Alacantara at 2B.

You don't take players out of their position until necessary. Look at a lot of players that come up and play a different position just to get there bat there. There is no assuming tht they will stay because needs over run all.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

I expect this is where they end up, though there are options, which is good.

Olt coming back would certainly be a plus.

Lake has tools, but has shown no sign of being a baseball player. It would be nice if he becomes one, but that is doubtful.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Baez gets by at short by good instincts. Castro ceiling at short is higher on the glove side. Let's get someone in there with castro. I would think the cubs would be hesitant to give up on a young player they just gave a lengthy contract to. It doesn't show good on the front office. Baez bat projects to any position. Third he could be outstanding at. Alcantara also projects to a plus glove at second but not short. He doesn't have the arm Baez or castro does and second fits him like a glove. Bryant has a strong arm and a frame made for of. Then the cubs can go from there

I just don't like that the team projects RH heavy long term. That burnt them in 2008. They are going to end up needing a strong SLG LH bat.

Think of it: Castro, Baez, Bryant, Almora, Soler, Castillo leaves just Alcantra and Rizzo to split them up. More I think on this it just tells me they will end up trading one of them to net back a LH power hitter.

jooo83

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. DePaul Blue Demons
Ask yourself what has Theo done here? Shed contract. He came he knowing that he would be building from the ground up. He admitted that he wanted out of Boston because he was forced to keep up with the Yankees and made some forced signings that were traded away to the Dodgers.

Ask your self why would Theo leave Boston an goto Chicago in the first place? Cubs are a smaller market. Ownership was reducing payroll. When Theo took over he stated they were building from the ground up.

In other words he left behind trying to buy a championship and embraced building one through development. That being said and seeing how he has not talked to Mike Maddux or Alomar Jr. For the manager job it tells me he doesn't walk the same path twice. Not to mention if he got burnt by it.

Now I understand your views on this but from what Theo has shown he doesn't look the type to jump back into old flings.

Once again nothing is Epstein's fault.