Playing the 'What if' game...

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
What if Mitchell Trubisky aka 10 GOD aka Mako aka Trubs aka Jesus Christ tears his ACL during preseason? Does anyone feel comfortable with who we have on the roster to step in and run Nagy's offense? Our depth chart is Trubisky, Chase Daniel, and Tyler Bray.

Chase Daniel, while being somewhat of a Veteran, hasn't thrown a TD pass since 2013. And he's never thrown for over 250 yards in a season.

Tyler Bray is a young guy, but hasn't accomplished anything in the league. He may be more inexperienced then Mitchell.

Could this be another short coming by Pace in the making? Are there any lingering vets out there we should pick up as a security blanket?

34071683_10156484454764452_426047845091508224_n.jpg

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Good point. Back-up QB is woeful, this is Chicago. Probability of exposure high, and worst thing for those two and their career is probably to play 3 games in a row.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I am not worried about our QB depth, though I am a bit of a pessimist. I just dont see this team as doing better than 8 wins right now, so the most important thing for this offense this year is reps in the new offense. While that is also important for Trubisky, the question was about the depth behind him. Daniel doesnt stop our WRs from learning the new offense, our younger OL players from gelling together, or Howard from improving his catching.

Besides, most teams have shit behind their starting QB. How many teams do you think really have someone that can help their team win behind their starter?

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
If Mitchell Trubisky aka 10 GOD aka Mako aka Trubs aka Jesus Christ tears his ACL during preseason and our backup QB comes in and even plays one game decently there will be cries for him to start and more Deshaun Watson threads

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
After sufficient sacrifice, Jesus would simply heal himself.
WRWHXIQVXB.gif

ruprecht

Bills Board Hall of Famer
Donator
Liked Posts:
Bad juju

Reactions: DC

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
There is actually very little reason to have a good NFL back-up. First, there aren't any good NFL back-ups so it's a moot point. They are back-ups for a reason. Second, your back-up should be a young player with upside that you are grooming while your current starting QB is locked in place. If your starting QB goes down for the season, your season is over. Tank for a top draft pick and re-evaluate in the offseason.

Now, there is value in having a good QB mentor for your starting QB (if they are young and adjusting to the NFL). That person shouldn't be taking up a roster spot though. They should be a coach or some kind.

I know some people will point to Foles in Philly where they won a Super Bowl. That's a super rare exception not the norm. In fact, that type of scenario is unlikely to happen ever again.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
There is actually very little reason to have a good NFL back-up. First, there aren't any good NFL back-ups so it's a moot point. They are back-ups for a reason. Second, your back-up should be a young player with upside that you are grooming while your current starting QB is locked in place. If your starting QB goes down for the season, your season is over. Tank for a top draft pick and re-evaluate in the offseason.

Now, there is value in having a good QB mentor for your starting QB (if they are young and adjusting to the NFL). That person shouldn't be taking up a roster spot though. They should be a coach or some kind.

I know some people will point to Foles in Philly where they won a Super Bowl. That's a super rare exception not the norm. In fact, that type of scenario is unlikely to happen ever again.

WTF is this shit? Nick Foles completely trumps your point and is proof that your entire first paragraph is garbage.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If your starting quarterback goes down for extended time, its near certainty any shred of potential for your season is gone. I am not yet worried about quarterback depth. I am still waiting to see if the starter is the guy going forward before I clamor for a quality backup or drafting one to develop behind him.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's almost as if other posters never heard of Nick Foles...and remember, Tom Brady, Kurt Warner, Steve Young...all backups.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
To the OP

You're acknowledging the dopey nicknames...aka by who?

Mako and 10 god
tenor.gif

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Its almost like you don't know about exceptions to the rule not being the rule.

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:
It's almost as if I highlighted some prime examples on purpose to contrast what winning organizations do compared to organizations with NO F'ING PLAN.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
You do realize that your examples were quarterbacks on teams that weren't rebuilding...right? Apples and oranges. When you're already winning with a filled out roster you have the luxury of making those picks. We didn't. Hell I don't even know if next off-season represents that for the Bears yet either since there are still some positions to be filled before thinking of drafting another quarterback.

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
You do realize that your examples were quarterbacks on teams that weren't rebuilding...right? Apples and oranges. When you're already winning with a filled out roster you have the luxury of making those picks. We didn't. Hell I don't even know if next off-season represents that for the Bears yet either since there are still some positions to be filled before thinking of drafting another quarterback.

Ahhh Yea that ten year rebuild underway.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
How many teams aren't guaranteed a lost season if their starting QB goes down; 2, 3 in the entire league?

Black Rainbow

ChatGPT Created Account
Donator
Liked Posts:

Wrong. The Rams only won 4 games before their SB victory and 5 games the year prior. Blowing off the backup QB is a big mistake. The point is teams that are prepared are better off than a team like the Bears.

Tjodalv

Discoverer of Dragosaurs
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Wrong. The Rams only won 4 games before their SB victory and 5 games the year prior. Blowing off the backup QB is a big mistake. The point is teams that are prepared are better off than a team like the Bears.

Citing Kurt Warner -- the absolute epitome of a backup QB making good on his chance -- is paramount to pointing to the quintessential of all 6th round picks and asking: "why didn't ______ get a Tom Brady in the sixth round last year?" You're pointing to the smallest of outliers as though they should be the norm for a team that can't even field a starting squad that's competent.