Playing the 'What if' game...

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am not worried about our QB depth, though I am a bit of a pessimist. I just dont see this team as doing better than 8 wins right now, so the most important thing for this offense this year is reps in the new offense. While that is also important for Trubisky, the question was about the depth behind him. Daniel doesnt stop our WRs from learning the new offense, our younger OL players from gelling together, or Howard from improving his catching.

Besides, most teams have shit behind their starting QB. How many teams do you think really have someone that can help their team win behind their starter?

The two superbowl teams did though. one needed plan b, one did not.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
What if Mitchell Trubisky aka 10 GOD aka Mako aka Trubs aka Jesus Christ tears his ACL during preseason? Does anyone feel comfortable with who we have on the roster to step in and run Nagy's offense? Our depth chart is Trubisky, Chase Daniel, and Tyler Bray.

Chase Daniel, while being somewhat of a Veteran, hasn't thrown a TD pass since 2013. And he's never thrown for over 250 yards in a season.

Tyler Bray is a young guy, but hasn't accomplished anything in the league. He may be more inexperienced then Mitchell.

Could this be another short coming by Pace in the making? Are there any lingering vets out there we should pick up as a security blanket?
Kurt Warner was a bag boy to STL fans.
Romo backed up Chad Hutchison, Quincy Carter, Vinny Testeverde and a broken Drew Bledsoe and was a likely cut had Carter not had drug problems before ever starting
Caese Kennum was a 9-15, 78 passer rating, 2TD 5INT QB in his last 4 games as a Ram afterthought.
Even Foles was nothing more than a years ago flash in the pan.
Point is, all these guys were Tyler Bray or Chase Daniels. And while neither Bray or Daniels are likely to repeat those other guys success, what veteran QB gives the Bears any better chance?

Big Tyme D

Liked Posts:
If your starting QB goes down for the season, your season is over. Tank for a top draft pick and re-evaluate in the offseason....

.... I know some people will point to Foles in Philly where they won a Super Bowl. That's a super rare exception not the norm. In fact, that type of scenario is unlikely to happen ever again.
Typically your season will be over for many teams.... but some that isn't always the case. It happens darn near every other year... a back up comes in and the team either doesn't skip a beat or actually get better. The guy then becomes a hot commodity when his FA comes up. See the guys starting for teams like the 49ers, Vikes, possibly the Broncos and as you mentioned in Philly. In each case the starting QB now has his job after the starter on his original team went down and he came in and played nearly as good if not better than the stater.

And in Foles case taking his team to the SB... it is rare to be that successful as a back up.... but it has happened before and will likely happen again. Off the top of my head the legend of Tom Brady began when as a rookie he came in for the downed Drew Bledsoe and won the SB. Kurt Warner was another QB who did the same thing... back -up to Super Bowl. So its is rare.... but it's not as if it never happens or never will again. History says it will.

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I know damn well what isn't true?

Sorry. I assumed you actually have been paying attention to the rebuild or even this very off-season for one. You know, the same off-season where we weren't able to pick up a premier pass rusher or another defensive tackle for that matter and a case could be made for still needing another cornerback.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My feeling is that I still think Chase Daniels underachieved and sucked big fat donkey balls at Missou where he had one of the best schemes and best defenses around him, failing to win a championship was actually on his interception prone ass.

In college. He was the slowest little fuck I ever saw, lobbed the ball into chance, failed in the biggest moments, and I can't imagine in my wildest dreams how he has hung around the league but I guess like he says he got to play for a half one time and did pretty good or something.

With Daniels/Bray and the other forgettable dude behind Trubs...its definetely Trubs or bust and we will lose every single game Trubs doesn't start and finish.

Most teams don't carry a decent back-up QB until they experience life without one. The Bears have learned this lesson in multiple regimes, I guess this one has to learn the lesson we know all too well also.

For my money I would be drafting and developing the most valuable position and therefore the highest potential roster spot trade asset...I'd be keeping 4 and milking a train of them in and out the door with a guru QB coach.

Pick them out, develop them, show them off with your snazy offense and weapons in the pre-season and always have an extra one around, plus an extra one for sale.

Pump that value spot...but teams treat questions to their QB plan like the plague. There is zero threat to Trubisky and maybe that is the way they want it for a year or two.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Sorry. I assumed you actually have been paying attention to the rebuild or even this very off-season for one. You know, the same off-season where we weren't able to pick up a premier pass rusher or another defensive tackle for that matter and a case could be made for still needing another cornerback.

why are you so salty these days man?

And no team goes into a season with no question marks. Just cause there are spots with question marks doesn't mean the rebuild is still on. imo, the big roster turnover is done now. Dis shit counts now. No more rebuild deferment.