HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Wrong. The Rams only won 4 games before their SB victory and 5 games the year prior. Blowing off the backup QB is a big mistake. The point is teams that are prepared are better off than a team like the Bears.

Except Kurt Warner was an undrafted player...note I was talking about drafted quarterbacks since after all that is the position we would be in...

Black Rainbow

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Citing Kurt Warner -- the absolute epitome of a backup QB making good on his chance -- is paramount to pointing to the quintessential of all 6th round picks and asking: "why didn't ______ get a Tom Brady in the sixth round last year?" You're pointing to the smallest of outliers as though they should be the norm for a team that can't even field a starting squad that's competent.

You've got me wrong. I'm responding to the view, explicitly stated in this thread, that there's very little reason to have a good backup QB in the NFL, and that most teams are screwed if their starter goes down, so who cares about it?

BeerFan

Liked Posts:
We better sign Kaepernick to a 1 year deal if Trubisky is out for season with a preseason injury. ;-)

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
What if Mitchell Trubisky aka 10 GOD aka Mako aka Trubs aka Jesus Christ tears his ACL during preseason? Does anyone feel comfortable with who we have on the roster to step in and run Nagy's offense? Our depth chart is Trubisky, Chase Daniel, and Tyler Bray.

Chase Daniel, while being somewhat of a Veteran, hasn't thrown a TD pass since 2013. And he's never thrown for over 250 yards in a season.

Tyler Bray is a young guy, but hasn't accomplished anything in the league. He may be more inexperienced then Mitchell.

Could this be another short coming by Pace in the making? Are there any lingering vets out there we should pick up as a security blanket?

34071683_10156484454764452_426047845091508224_n.jpg

You motherfucker. If he tears his ACL...

Burque

Huevos Rancheros
Liked Posts:
We better sign Kaepernick to a 1 year deal if Trubisky is out for season with a preseason injury. ;-)

I think we could use some Kaepernick like splash signing we should sign him and reid just so we can watch the media collectively explode.... This will never happen though because Nagy is a first year coach and I get the impression while he doesn't mind speaking with the media and has open conversations with them that at the same time he doesn't want to waste his time answering questions about a distraction from what the goals are for the Bears.

Although, I have been wrong before. I wonder if that would be a QB Controversy in the making. Mitch went down and Kaep got us to the playoffs and that might be it for Mr Bitchell.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
How many teams aren't guaranteed a lost season if their starting QB goes down; 2, 3 in the entire league?

Well we make it four

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Chase Daniel, while being somewhat of a Veteran, hasn't thrown a TD pass since 2013. And he's never thrown for over 250 yards in a season.

Tyler Bray is a young guy, but hasn't accomplished anything in the league. He may be more inexperienced then Mitchell.

Could this be another short coming by Pace in the making? Are there any lingering vets out there we should pick up as a security blanket?

34071683_10156484454764452_426047845091508224_n.jpg
Both have more experience in the current offense than Trubisky.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
I know some people will point to Foles in Philly where they won a Super Bowl. That's a super rare exception not the norm. In fact, that type of scenario is unlikely to happen ever again.
You are right it is more likely that, if the starting QB goes down during preseason, the backup QB will pull a Kurt Warner and have a Hall of Fame career.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
There is actually very little reason to have a good NFL back-up. First, there aren't any good NFL back-ups so it's a moot point. They are back-ups for a reason. Second, your back-up should be a young player with upside that you are grooming while your current starting QB is locked in place. If your starting QB goes down for the season, your season is over. Tank for a top draft pick and re-evaluate in the offseason.

Now, there is value in having a good QB mentor for your starting QB (if they are young and adjusting to the NFL). That person shouldn't be taking up a roster spot though. They should be a coach or some kind.

I know some people will point to Foles in Philly where they won a Super Bowl. That's a super rare exception not the norm. In fact, that type of scenario is unlikely to happen ever again.

Case keenum?

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Case keenum?

I think the OP is missing the point, the purpose of the backup is to hold the fort for 1-4 games if the starting QB gets injured, hopefully going .500 in the process.

Spunky Porkstacker

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think we could use some Kaepernick like splash signing we should sign him and reid just so we can watch the media collectively explode.... This will never happen though because Nagy is a first year coach and I get the impression while he doesn't mind speaking with the media and has open conversations with them that at the same time he doesn't want to waste his time answering questions about a distraction from what the goals are for the Bears.

Although, I have been wrong before. I wonder if that would be a QB Controversy in the making. Mitch went down and Kaep got us to the playoffs and that might be it for Mr Bitchell.

Imagine if CK were to happen, all of the CK football threads would end up in B&I.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
What if Mitchell Trubisky aka 10 GOD aka Mako aka Trubs aka Jesus Christ tears his ACL during preseason? Does anyone feel comfortable with who we have on the roster to step in and run Nagy's offense? Our depth chart is Trubisky, Chase Daniel, and Tyler Bray.

You're going to criticize him for not having Mike Glennon? Mark Sanchez?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If your starter goes down you really are not winning shit, you are just wrecking your draft pick.

There are like 3 backups in the NFL I trust not to embarrass themselsves over multiple starts.

And yes I know who Nick Foles is, that is a once in a lifetime run.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
There is actually very little reason to have a good NFL back-up. First, there aren't any good NFL back-ups so it's a moot point. They are back-ups for a reason. Second, your back-up should be a young player with upside that you are grooming while your current starting QB is locked in place. If your starting QB goes down for the season, your season is over. Tank for a top draft pick and re-evaluate in the offseason.

Now, there is value in having a good QB mentor for your starting QB (if they are young and adjusting to the NFL). That person shouldn't be taking up a roster spot though. They should be a coach or some kind.

Well, yeah. Good players are rare, especially at backup positions. Doesn't mean they don't exist. But thanks for pointing that out.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
You do realize that your examples were quarterbacks on teams that weren't rebuilding...right? Apples and oranges. When you're already winning with a filled out roster you have the luxury of making those picks. We didn't. Hell I don't even know if next off-season represents that for the Bears yet either since there are still some positions to be filled before thinking of drafting another quarterback.

isn't this shit done been rebuilt yet? i mean wtf, when are we gonna start keeping score?

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
lol, people taking this dumb ass thread all serious and getting mad

xer0h0ur

HS Referee HoF
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
isn't this shit done been rebuilt yet? i mean wtf, when are we gonna start keeping score?

By and large yes our rebuild is done. Still doesn't mean we have reloaded every position of need. You damn well know that isn't true.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
By and large yes our rebuild is done. Still doesn't mean we have reloaded every position of need. You damn well know that isn't true.

I know damn well what isn't true?