My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Didn't say hi to me?
Where were you hanging out? I spent most of the day on the rope in the end zone on the first field. Bears O v Dolphins D...

I could watch the Bear D to my left especially in red zone.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Yo you for real have a writing talent and obviously were tuned in because you def in your bag with this post, thanks for this.

Couldn't agree more on Hicks btw. He's just a beast you won't be able to replace and most teams don't even have a Hicks type player. Run it.

Did you get a good up close look at Jenkins?

I'm starting to think that getting drafted in the 2nd by the bears might have been a Make a Wish Foundation thing and Jenkins has a few more weeks to live. Is he sickly looking?
Shoulda low-key poked Jenkins from behind and been like, so back tightness or nah?

greg23

Liked Posts:
Nothing on the bald guy?

Did he run the egg toss?
Did he sell any houses to floridians?
Did he mis-manage the clock in camp practice?

So many unanswered questions.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Teven Jenkins(reality):

teven-jpg.13042

Teven Jenkins(CCS version):

Z6xYbVR.jpg

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
The thing with Hicks is that he gets banged up and probably gets too much playing time and becomes less effective. Sure, he looks amazing in practice for 30 minutes, but he’s started to slow down during the season. I wouldn’t be so presumptuous about what you see in PRACTICE.

I like Hicks a lot, but EVERY player reaches a point to which you should love on from. I’d definitely wait until the later part of the season to evaluate a Hicks extension.

mecha

Liked Posts:
The thing with Hicks is that he gets banged up and probably gets too much playing time and becomes less effective. Sure, he looks amazing in practice for 30 minutes, but he’s started to slow down during the season. I wouldn’t be so presumptuous about what you see in PRACTICE.

I like Hicks a lot, but EVERY player reaches a point to which you should love on from. I’d definitely wait until the later part of the season to evaluate a Hicks extension.
he's pretty up in age already. if people are going to shit on a Trevathan extension (which shouldn't have happened, should've kept younger Kwit) the same should apply here.

Bears will get a lot more mileage if they could shore up the bad FA and extension deals. get better in the draft. I thought they did great this offseason. hopefully they've turned a corner now.

Starion

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Many of us knew Kwit became good enough to deserve to start in the league. His ceiling wasn't as high as Trevathan's though. Kwit's prior floors were REALLY LOW in pass coverage especially. Similar to a few players extended or cunted about when let go, the dropoff can be pretty sudden. None as much as Trevathan's seemed to be. He did later pick it up a bit it seems. Still not worth the extension.

Curious how this applies to Hicks, especially as such a vocal leader on the defense. It'll sour things if & when they don't, and sadly, experience w/ Halas MGMT shows they don't seem to be very upfront with their players about where they stand.

Hicks probably will be balling the hell out early, esp. to show his worth, but could fade if he doesn't get his deal and gets upset. He & ARob 12 will each have beef.

Doubtful, but curious if any conversations are heard about contracts on those 2. Players like to chirp about getting theirs & such. Could be a big issue going forward with Hicks & ARob.

Milky

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Hopefully Hicks’ PT goes down this year with Nichols, Edwards, and Blackson all on the team and at least 2 viable players (Nichols and Edwards). According to TNNL Blackson is an emerging player, I don’t know about that but we’ll see how the 2nd stringers look Saturday.

Keep the big guy fresh and healthy.
Many of us knew Kwit became good enough to deserve to start in the league. His ceiling wasn't as high as Trevathan's though. Kwit's prior floors were REALLY LOW in pass coverage especially. Similar to a few players extended or cunted about when let go, the dropoff can be pretty sudden. None as much as Trevathan's seemed to be. He did later pick it up a bit it seems. Still not worth the extension.

Curious how this applies to Hicks, especially as such a vocal leader on the defense. It'll sour things if & when they don't, and sadly, experience w/ Halas MGMT shows they don't seem to be very upfront with their players about where they stand.

Hicks probably will be balling the hell out early, esp. to show his worth, but could fade if he doesn't get his deal and gets upset. He & ARob 12 will each have beef.

Doubtful, but curious if any conversations are heard about contracts on those 2. Players like to chirp about getting theirs & such. Could be a big issue going forward with Hicks & ARob.
I kind of feel like Pace was playing the compensatory pick game when he chose between Trevathan and Kwiatkoski. Kwit had a better chance of securing a big deal than Trevathan and be re-signing Trevathan that wouldn’t hurt that formula. Still though this Roquan’s and Mack’s team and Pace should’ve re-signed Pierre-Louis to team with Smith imo.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
At one point, he was right in front of me watching o-line drills. That's when I grabbed his picture. He doesn't look like he's in any pain. Usually when your back is injured, it's hard to hide it.
But was he mentally participating? I heard he was standing on the sideline in a very unmotivated manor. :rolleyes:

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
he's pretty up in age already. if people are going to shit on a Trevathan extension (which shouldn't have happened, should've kept younger Kwit) the same should apply here.

Bears will get a lot more mileage if they could shore up the bad FA and extension deals. get better in the draft. I thought they did great this offseason. hopefully they've turned a corner now.
It's different with interior linemen. Not as big a deal when they lose a 10th or 2. Wear and tear eventually gets them but Hicks' wheels have held up.

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
This was definitely my first inclination as well, however given our current situation at tackle, it has to be considered. The deal would have to be team friendly as well and incentively more performance based.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Training Camp at Halas Hall truly beats the hell out of going there for OTAs. The whole is experience is fan friendly and extremely well executed. Anyway on to things I witnessed today...

Teven Jenkins:

Teven was standing, rocking, shifting his weight side to side and he put his hands on his hips multiple times. He can stand up straight without assistance. Great practice Teven!

View attachment 13042

The first group I watched were the outside linebackers. Trevis Gipson is long, lean and muscled. His movements are smooth. I watched him work on rip moves, swim moves and bending the edge. I have a good feeling about this guy. He definitely looks the part.

Mack looks to be in amazing shape and it is cool to see a guy with his reputation work so hard in drills.

View attachment 13043

Quinn was moving well and he can definitely bend.

View attachment 13045

This was a baby bend.

So I heard the sled popping and there were two distinct sounds. When Hicks hit it and then everyone else. The violence and explosion when Hicks fires out to strike the sled with his hands is just different than the other lineman. More on Hicks later...

So they ran some one on ones with each of the three Bear QBs. Usually this is like shooting fish in a barrel for the offense. Dalton and Fields completed most of these reps. Mr. Slice and Dice really struggled and had several of his passes defended. These were the last reps for Foles all day.

Cole Kmet:

He has taken a big jump since last year. He moves extremely well for his size and is catching everything. Also, he's playing with an edge. He was knocked out of bounds during 11 on 11 and gave the DB a shot which almost started a large skirmish. Dalton looks for him all the time. Andy feeds tight ends. Kmet also reached back and plucked a ball with his hands that was well behind him and turned upfield for a nice gain. The pass was from Dalton.

Mooney:

He looked good early in practice and then hit a rough patch that included two consecutive drops. He is sleight. His legs are tiny but he's incredibly fast and he's shifty.

Montgomery:

He ran hard all day and does appear noticeably quicker. This dude can really cut and he runs with a low center of gravity. it's easy to see why he breaks so many tackles.

Williams:

Great pick up! He has great hands and runs good routes for a RB.

Herbert:

He's easily making this team. He also runs hard, has excellent balance and vision. He probably had more carries in live drills than any other back. He had some productive kick off reps against the Dolphins too. One might have been TD. I didn't hear a whistle and he made it through the pack. He did fumble one kickoff return but he recovered it.

Brian Johnson (back up kicker): He made about ten kicks in a row out to fifty yards and split the uprights right down the middle on each one. Only one was not high up in the net. He might grab a job somewhere in the league He has a big, accurate leg.

Interior first team o-line:

They opened up some holes today. A couple of them were huge. Most of the openings were created by Whitehair and Mustipher.

Jesse James and Jesper Horsted: Both of these guys had multiple catches all of them from Fields. You can tell Fields trusts James and he pushed the ball to him several times. Horsted caught some passes in the seam that would have gone for big gains.

Dazz Newsome: I saw him catch one ball on the sideline in 11 on 11. He didn't get many reps.

Byrd:

He caught a TD from Dalton on a corner route in red zone drills. Earlier he dropped a slant behind the LBs that hit him right in the hands.

The Bears D:

They were chippy as hell today. In red zone, Hicks was pushing into the backfield on almost every snap and believe me, he was telling the Dolphins about it. Mack came across quickly off the right edge and stopped Tua for a sack. I'm not sure why you would roll out toward Mack but they did and Mack blew it up.
Anybody that believes the Bears should cut or trade Hicks should stop posting on this forum. This dude is ready for opening day. He will dominate this year.

I saw Graham and Shelley both make solid plays on the ball. However, Tua really does kind of suck.

Omar Kelly - Dolphins Beat Writer:

I saw him take multiple hits of what must have been Crack!

Ridley:

He's still the other Ridley.

Fields:

The three best players out there today were Fields, Hicks and Mack. Guys, he looks every bit the part of a franchise QB. He seems cool and confident. He wasn't perfect early but once he found his groove, he was almost unstoppable. He's a pocket first guy and I watched his head as he went through his progressions and went to his third read several times. He was making plays all day.

There was a rep where he was flushed left and threw back across the field to hit James who was wide open.

At the end of the day we had "The Series." The red zone reps that blew everyone away. I gave my description in the training camp thread. The whole tool kit was on display. Decisiveness, accuracy, velocity and pin point ball placement... And that foot speed!

4 plays - two passing TDs, one running TD and one perfect pass dropped by Ridley in the corner of the end zone...

That was my day. It was pretty cool.
Excellent work.

You put any CCS members who went to camp (and all the beat writers too) to shame.

Someone needs to donate some future tickets to Playthrough2001 for him to do this again.

HearshotKDS

Liked Posts:
Do they feed the guests at Halas or do you swing by Vernon Hills for lunch?

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Do they feed the guests at Halas or do you swing by Vernon Hills for lunch?
When you’re invited to OTAs they feed you a catered lunch or breakfast.

Training camp has vending stands that sell food.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Excellent work.

You put any CCS members who went to camp (and all the beat writers too) to shame.

Someone needs to donate some future tickets to Playthrough2001 for him to do this again.
Thank you for the kind words. I’m a season ticket holder so I get invites to OTAs, the combine and of course yesterday’s scrimmage. I’m happy to share what I see.

mecha

Liked Posts:
It's different with interior linemen. Not as big a deal when they lose a 10th or 2. Wear and tear eventually gets them but Hicks' wheels have held up.
yeah I guess their mobility doesn't factor in as much as just being a giant dude to plug holes. 2020 Bears were pretty terrible against the run, I occupied most of the season working on Sundays, I don't really remember what all they changed but it got a little better. Trevathan and Quinn I would venture were the cause of them getting run over by 35 year old Adrian Peterson and the like.