Please keep Derrick Byars!

pyobuttah

Liked Posts:
I am not saying this after one game, but I am saying this after watching him here in Nashville when he played for Vandy. To me, Byars was used to be a go-to-guy at Vandy and was a streaky shooter here. However, he had all the intagibles, is athletic, has a good mid-range game. Sometimes he played a little out-of-control, but he did such a great job igniting teams on runs with his heart. At 6-7 he is a good guy to come off the bench and provide a spark on defense and shoot a jumper. He is not like a Hassel, Bowen, Basden, or Gardner, as he has talent on both sides. His IQ is pretty high and he just needs to learn to come off screens and learn not to be the go-to-guy. I think he has learned that from his overseas and NBDL experience. To me he could be a poor man's Salmons or a player like a Bobby Phils.

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think of the remaining scrubs signed to the preseason roster, Bryars has the best chance of staying. If he does though, I don't want him wearing #7...it's a bit soon for a player to wear that number. But that's just me. I know houheffna will come charging in here with a "WHO CARES IF BEN GORDON WORE THAT NUMBER HE'S NOT THAT GOOD" type of statement.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
You damn skippy! Leave the mushy stuff for all-stars....

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
houheffna wrote:
You damn skippy! Leave the mushy stuff for all-stars....
Way to prove me right :laugh:

cool007

Liked Posts:
I think Richards is prolly out, meaning we should have 1 more spot and I would love to keep Byars as our 3rd string guard incase there is an injury.

Imagine if Salmons is injured, We can slide Hinrich to 2-guard but then who plays backup Point/SG??? I think Pargo can play pg as a backup for few mins, and Byars backs up Hinrich off the bench.

I really also like Byars, although it was only 1 game, let's see more.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
Everybody calm down about Byars! Dickey Simpkins had a decent rookie preseason too...

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
My guess is that he gets cut like the rest. He does have the best chance of staying if only due to the horrible depth in our backcourt. Boy Thabo looks really good right now <_<

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
clonetrooper264 wrote:
I think of the remaining scrubs signed to the preseason roster, Bryars has the best chance of staying. If he does though, I don't want him wearing #7...it's a bit soon for a player to wear that number. But that's just me. I know houheffna will come charging in here with a "WHO CARES IF BEN GORDON WORE THAT NUMBER HE'S NOT THAT GOOD" type of statement.

Yeah, I was pissed when I saw Byars wearing Ben's #. Whose this scrub wearing Ben's #?

But then Byars sure looked damn good, creating contradictory feelings.

If he keeps this type of play up, Bulls better keep him. He looks like he can shoot pretty well, and he has good size, and a decent handle.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
I'd rather keep 500k of money open to take on some extra salary in a trade at the deadline.

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
dougthonus wrote:
I'd rather keep 500k of money open to take on some extra salary in a trade at the deadline.

Bulls are over the cap, so signing Byars would be the best thing for a trade, as we'd have 473K or so player that we can add onto a trade under the guise of the minimum salary exception to help aide a trade.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
Yeah, I was pissed when I saw Byars wearing Ben's #. Whose this scrub wearing Ben's #?

You know that is kind of how I felt about Noah wearing Longley's number...who the hell this dude think he is wearing that number? That's Luuuuuuuuuuc's number!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
houheffna wrote:

You know that is kind of how I felt about Noah wearing Longley's number...who the hell this dude think he is wearing that number? That's Luuuuuuuuuuc's number!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
I said that too, but then I came to love Joakim so it was ok. The many years in between also helped that cause.

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
Bulls are over the cap, so signing Byars would be the best thing for a trade, as we'd have 473K or so player that we can add onto a trade under the guise of the minimum salary exception to help aide a trade.

I think it's far more likely that salaries won't match exactly and we'll want to have 473k in extra salary room to take a little more salary on under the tax than we'll need to throw in 473k more salary to match things.

A team isn't likely to want to take an extra minimum salary player unless it has to.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
I was being sarcastic...I don't get that sentimental over numbers, and I definitely don't get pissed unless someone was wearing #23 or #33...Kukoc was one of my favorite players, never got mad when Gordon wore his number, and would have laughed at anyone who would have gotten mad about it...

TheStig

Liked Posts:
Why is there so much hype around a guy who shot 4 of 11? Even Kirk could doo that.

pyobuttah

Liked Posts:
I bring the hype because we are thin at guard. Maybe offer him a partial contract like the Pacers and Luther that won't put us over the cap. He is an energy guy, can play D, and has some offense. He can be a solid player in this league!

clonetrooper264

Retired Bandwagon Mod
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Golden State Warriors
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
TheStig wrote:
Why is there so much hype around a guy who shot 4 of 11? Even Kirk could doo that.
Even Kirk? Kirk is a starting PG in this league

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
This guy is 25 & has been to NO, ORL, & OKC camps the last 3 seasons n hasn't hooked on. I'm thinking more of the same here. We're currently 400k over the tax threshold, don't see us carelessly spending money on a scrub.

TheStig

Liked Posts:
Diddy1122 wrote:
This guy is 25 & has been to NO, ORL, & OKC camps the last 3 seasons n hasn't hooked on. I'm thinking more of the same here. We're currently 400k over the tax threshold, don't see us carelessly spending money on a scrub.

We are under the LT. We bought out Tim Thomas and saved a couple of mill.