Poles gives clarity on Offensive Line during this morning's press conference

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
So, at least this clarifies some things and gives hints on some potential things.

Poles said Whitehair is under consideration for center, and wouldn't commit to where the newly-signed guard would play, LG or RG.

Unless we have a smoke screen, it looks like Whitehair may make the move to center to compete with Patrick, and between Tevin and the new guy, those will be our guards.

It means it is entirely possible, if the Bears are counting on Jones to take a step this next season, that they may only add a tackle this offseason, and the interior will be combination of Whitehair/Jenkins/Davis.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Interior looks pretty good and if Braxton Jones improves next season bears have a good offensive line aside from RT but that isn't a huge problem if everyone else is good.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Interior looks pretty good and if Braxton Jones improves next season bears have a good offensive line aside from RT but that isn't a huge problem if everyone else is good.

I am a little worried that Braxton is still 2 years away, but he should be improved next year.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am a little worried that Braxton is still 2 years away, but he should be improved next year.
He improved from the first to the second half of the season. With young players its best to analyze how they did incrementally over their rookie and sophomore years

Nelly

Liked Posts:
2 years away from what? Second half Brax was a lot different than first half Brax. He's a big time ascending player that's a perfect fit for the scheme. Imo his floor for this coming season is as an average all around left tackle with plenty of upside for more.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
He improved from the first to the second half of the season. With young players its best to analyze how they did incrementally over their rookie and sophomore years

True. I've just seen it a lot where low round picks who do pan out on the line will take a while.

Based on that, I am expecting Jones to definitely be improved next season, but I still think he is going to be inconsistent. Usually in those NFL programs where they have to remake someone to solidify their anchor, offseason 1 is dedicated to remolding their body into what they will need to have that better anchor, which brings incremental but inconsistent improvement, and then the 2nd offseason is dedicated to adding pure power to make them into a finished product.

Obviously its not exactly "A-B" as they work on power in year 1 as well, but they really can't put all their effort into that as remolding their body takes time away from that.

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
2 years away from what? Second half Brax was a lot different than first half Brax. He's a big time ascending player that's a perfect fit for the scheme. Imo his floor for this coming season is as an average all around left tackle with plenty of upside for more.
Check my response to Modo - I just explained why I think that.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Check my response to Modo - I just explained why I think that.
Still. Unless you think he'll be significantly below average there's no reason to look for a replacement. 2 years away from being a perfect player while just being a good one in the meantime is a nice place to be.

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
True. I've just seen it a lot where low round picks who do pan out on the line will take a while.

Based on that, I am expecting Jones to definitely be improved next season, but I still think he is going to be inconsistent. Usually in those NFL programs where they have to remake someone to solidify their anchor, offseason 1 is dedicated to remolding their body into what they will need to have that better anchor, which brings incremental but inconsistent improvement, and then the 2nd offseason is dedicated to adding pure power to make them into a finished product.

Obviously its not exactly "A-B" as they work on power in year 1 as well, but they really can't put all their effort into that as remolding their body takes time away from that.
to the bold, care to name 2-3 of these players you've seen a lot of this with?

Mighty Joe Young

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Still. Unless you think he'll be significantly below average there's no reason to look for a replacement. 2 years away from being a perfect player while just being a good one in the meantime is a nice place to be.

Potentially, but it is extremely inconvenient to have an inconsistent player at the 2nd most important position in football when trying to evaluate the most important position.

And frankly, I think Jones would make an excellent Swing Tackle on a playoff roster, so given what we learned from Poles, I would prefer to draft a LT who's already "ready-made" in round 1 or 2 and live with the inconsistency at RT, which is something I am good with.