Poles on trading Fields and evaluating Caleb

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
"There was a choppy start in his rookie year," he said. "And when I came in, we had some cleaning up to do, which delayed another year of adding talent and supporting. And then in terms of the game, I feel like he was making strides and improving. … It's really the timeline and how much runway you have. Because to get a guy up off the ground, you need to support him with as much talent as possible. And then that flips because it takes so much cap space."

Think people are misinterpreting Poles comment on timeline. What Poles is getting at is that Fields contract timeline was out of sink with the rebuild. He had a wasted year under Pace and Nagy. His 2nd year was the tear down and now his 3rd year he was improving.

However the issue is he hasnt improved enough to make it clear he is the franchise and now if you give him another year you will have to then make a decision on paying him 40-50m.

Williams by contrast is coming in at the end of the initial rebuild and they will have 3-4 years to evaluate him before having to pay him big money.

So I think Poles is admitting the Bears did Fields no favors. Not out of spite or because Fields wasnt Poles guy but simply by virture of how circumstances unfolded. Bears probably should have let Pace and Nagy stay if the goal was to develop Fields as once Poles came onboard and felt a tear down was necessary that made it an uphill battle for Fields.

Last edited:

1ke

D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Bucks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
"There was a choppy start in his rookie year," he said. "And when I came in, we had some cleaning up to do, which delayed another year of adding talent and supporting. And then in terms of the game, I feel like he was making strides and improving. … It's really the timeline and how much runway you have. Because to get a guy up off the ground, you need to support him with as much talent as possible. And then that flips because it takes so much cap space."

Think people are misinterpreting Poles comment on timeline. What Poles is getting at is that Fields contract timeline was out of sink with the rebuild. He had a wasted year under Pace and Nagy. His 2nd year was the tear down and now his 3rd year he was improving.

However the issue is he hasnt improved enough to make it clear he is the franchise and now if you give him another year you will have to then make a decision on paying him 40-50m.

Williams by contrast is coming in at the end of the initial rebuild and they will have 3-4 years to evaluate him before having to pay him big money.

So I think Poles is admitting the Bears did Fields no favors. Not out of spite or because Fields wasnt Poles guy but simply by virture of how circumstances unfolded. Bears probably shoukd have let Pace and Nagy stay if the goal was to develop Fields as once he came onboard and felt a tear down was necessary that made it an uphill battle for Fields.
Agreed. That's what I got out of it. Bad timing for Justin.

nvanprooyen

Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears

See folks….. Poles is just like us!

Just like we’ve had to explain to our CCS children why moving on was good….. Poles had to explain to his child.
It's kind of funny. I had to explain it to my 15 year old daughter, who also was not happy about it.

Her comment was "Dad. I don't understand. Fields was the only thing that made the Bears worth watching the past few years".

GoDJtop10

Liked Posts:

So I think Poles is admitting the Bears did Fields no favors. Not out of spite or because Fields wasnt Poles guy but simply by virture of how circumstances unfolded. Bears probably shoukd have let Pace and Nagy stay if the goal was to develop Fields as once he came onboard and felt a tear down was necessary that made it an uphill battle for Fields.
Very fair breakdown on your part, bro.

BaBaBlacksheep

Jordan Sigler Super Fan
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
It's kind of funny. I had to explain it to my 15 year old daughter, who also was not happy about it.

Her comment was "Dad. I don't understand. Fields was the only thing that made the Bears worth watching the past few years".

Hmmm….. 15 year old daughter. 🤔 I guess I’d explain it like that boy you dated last year was fun. You had a good time and will always cherish the memories. But now a new boy moved into town and he’s better looking and has an extra Taylor Swift ticket for you….

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange

hebs

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Poles 100% wants Caleb, but won’t commit to telling anyone that until the medical checks out. Crossing all the “T’s” and dotting all the “i’s”

BaBaBlacksheep

Jordan Sigler Super Fan
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Here is to hoping one of the "big name" qb's falls to 9 and some has a hard itch to leapfrog someone else for him.

Like a Raiders/Denver bidding war?

That’s the trade down dream there

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:

Whole league knows.

And everything I’ve read this morning from other teams sounds like 4 QBs before the 9th pick. Perfect setup to get a blue chipper at 9. (Although for everyone on the Odunze at 9 train I’ve seen some talk of teams trading with Atlanta to get ahead of the Bears)
As others have mentioned, that would make Turner available. Seriously, it would take a lot for the bears to move off of 9.
It's amazing to me that there are still people out there that think the Bears are going to take Joe Alt or Marvin Harrison #1, and then draft JJ McCarthy at 9(if he's even still there at 9).

Caleb Williams is the pick. 100%.
Wait! Is this really a thing? You’re fucking with me, right?!? Nobody is that fucking d…

Last edited:

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Wait! Is this really a thing? You’re fucking with me, right?!? Nobody is that fucking d…
Literally shit like that all over social media.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

"I do. I do," Poles said. "If we don’t move at all, I think that’s 25 picks in three years which is over 8 (per year) and some change. I like where we’re at there on top of being set up next year to have a pretty good setup as well. I think it matches the draft. I think a lot of guys went back to school this year. I think you’re going to see a significant drop-off. Hopefully some guys squeak through, but it actually, the way we’re set up in the draft this year actually pairs up really well with how I think it’s going to play out."

Kind of the point I have been making. Trade down is not a necessity as Poles will have made 25 picks this past 3 years and has another 9 next year so basically 8 per year. Also given the dilution in the draft no pick getting a bunch of day 3 picks that may struggle to make the team.

TL1961

Liked Posts:

So I think Poles is admitting the Bears did Fields no favors. Not out of spite or because Fields wasnt Poles guy but simply by virture of how circumstances unfolded. Bears probably should have let Pace and Nagy stay if the goal was to develop Fields as once Poles came onboard and felt a tear down was necessary that made it an uphill battle for Fields.
Yep.

It's actually possible to agree that Fields was never in a great position, and still recognize the prudent move is to draft Williams.

It's not slamming Justin, and certainly isn't hating him. I believe Poles genuinely loves the guy. Business is messy sometimes.

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

My 14 y.o. son is still pissed.