Poles on trading Fields and evaluating Caleb

Les Grossman

Liked Posts:
"There was a choppy start in his rookie year," he said. "And when I came in, we had some cleaning up to do, which delayed another year of adding talent and supporting. And then in terms of the game, I feel like he was making strides and improving. … It's really the timeline and how much runway you have. Because to get a guy up off the ground, you need to support him with as much talent as possible. And then that flips because it takes so much cap space."

Think people are misinterpreting Poles comment on timeline. What Poles is getting at is that Fields contract timeline was out of sink with the rebuild. He had a wasted year under Pace and Nagy. His 2nd year was the tear down and now his 3rd year he was improving.

However the issue is he hasnt improved enough to make it clear he is the franchise and now if you give him another year you will have to then make a decision on paying him 40-50m.

Williams by contrast is coming in at the end of the initial rebuild and they will have 3-4 years to evaluate him before having to pay him big money.

So I think Poles is admitting the Bears did Fields no favors. Not out of spite or because Fields wasnt Poles guy but simply by virture of how circumstances unfolded. Bears probably should have let Pace and Nagy stay if the goal was to develop Fields as once Poles came onboard and felt a tear down was necessary that made it an uphill battle for Fields.
This will probably go mostly unmentioned for the short Fields era, but he played a very specific role of keeping the fans engaged and with just enough hope that we didn't completely check out while the roster was gutted and full team tear down was taking place.

Justin Fields died for Ryan Pace and Matt Nagy's sins lol

Bust

Liked Posts:
2024 Executive of the year boyz

DefNextYear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He sucks.
Sure, but a 1st rounder sucks in two years… but the coach is preaching about coaching players. He’s overstating a coaches ability, while also understating the average NFL coaching staff’s ability.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
Cant expect a lump of coal to become a diamond. Fields is far more talentwed than both.
Talented than both of them, yes. But he equally sucked as far as playing the QB position. NFL players who actually played Fields and our past big name QBs have said the same about them as well. Do I believe forum members that our past QBs were good or believe the defenders that actually studied our QBs, watched film on them, and played against them and succeeded against them? Hope Caleb breaks the curse and can actually play the QB position.

Facts don’t lie. The facts are below but they are also pretty clear to any football fan with knowledge, outside of these comments.

Packers Quay Walker speaking for his team on Fields - Whenever we can keep him in the pocket and allow him just to play quarterback and not allow him to run, we got a real, real good chance of winning the game.

Packers Tramon Williams speaking for his team on Trubisky - We wanted to make Mitch play quarterback. We knew they had a lot of weapons, we knew they were dangerous, we knew all of those things. But we knew if we could make Mitch play quarterback, that we’d have a chance.

Packers Charles Woodson speaking for his team on Cutler - Same old Jay. We don't need luck, we just need to be in position. Jay will throw us the ball.

Shit is getting old man. Time for a fucking change.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Sure, but a 1st rounder sucks in two years… but the coach is preaching about coaching players. He’s overstating a coaches ability, while also understating the average NFL coaching staff’s ability.

Picket was part of the worst QB draft in history. Never should have been a first round pick.

Talented than both of them, yes. But he equally sucked as far as playing the QB position. NFL players who actually played Fields and our past big name QBs have said the same about them as well. Do I believe forum members that our past QBs were good or believe the defenders that actually studied our QBs, watched film on them, and played against them and succeeded against them? Hope Caleb breaks the curse and can actually play the QB position.

Facts don’t lie. The facts are below but they are also pretty clear to any football fan with knowledge, outside of these comments.

Packers Quay Walker speaking for his team on Fields - Whenever we can keep him in the pocket and allow him just to play quarterback and not allow him to run, we got a real, real good chance of winning the game.

Packers Tramon Williams speaking for his team on Trubisky - We wanted to make Mitch play quarterback. We knew they had a lot of weapons, we knew they were dangerous, we knew all of those things. But we knew if we could make Mitch play quarterback, that we’d have a chance.

Packers Charles Woodson speaking for his team on Cutler - Same old Jay. We don't need luck, we just need to be in position. Jay will throw us the ball.

Shit is getting old man. Time for a fucking change.
Tomlin said he oozes potential not production. Further his running is part of him playing QB. Even if he is equally bad a passer he still is better than Picket because of his running.

Finally let's not be dense. He is noy saying every single player can be coached up. He is simply saying in some instances coaches give up on players too soon.

Spitta Andretti

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Just because Fields has immense talent doesn't mean they can coach his weaknesses out of him

What exactly does Fields immense talent do about his slow release, slow dropback and overall slow processing?

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Cant expect a lump of coal to become a diamond. Fields is far more talentwed than both.
And Talent can only take you so far. Fields inability to consistently see the field is an innate problem. Not a coaching problem. You can try and coach that until the cows come home but ultimately the player has that trait or he doesn't.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Talent for QBs is really difficult to see. He's incredibly athletic and has all the tools you want to see physically. It remains to be seen if he's talented in terms of the most important thing, and that's getting the ball where it needs to be at the right time. He didn't show enough of that.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Just because Fields has immense talent doesn't mean they can coach his weaknesses out of him

What exactly does Fields immense talent do about his slow release, slow dropback and overall slow processing?
It doesnt mean they cant. Guess we will have to wait and see.

And Talent can only take you so far. Fields inability to consistently see the field is an innate problem. Not a coaching problem. You can try and coach that until the cows come home but ultimately the player has that trait or he doesn't.

I think Fields issue is moreso he is hesitant to throw and make a mistake not that he isnt seeing the field. He seems to see the field fine when targeting Moore and Kmet as his passer rating with them is around 110. So I think a lot of it is lack of trust with the other WRs. That can come down to coaching. But of course there is no guarantee it can be fixed. Only time will tell.

Last edited:

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
Picket was part of the worst QB draft in history. Never should have been a first round pick.

Tomlin said he oozes potential not production. Further his running is part of him playing QB. Even if he is equally bad a passer he still is better than Picket because of his running.

Finally let's not be dense. He is noy saying every single player can be coached up. He is simply saying in some instances coaches give up on players too soon.
I agree. But the truth is he can’t play the QB position in the NFL, as of right now. Can he later with the Steelers, that remains to be seen.

Luke

Liked Posts:

I knew this after 2022 but understood getting DJ in the trade and the subsequent haul.
and what a HAUL it will be!

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I agree. But the truth is he can’t play the QB position in the NFL, as of right now. Can he later with the Steelers, that remains to be seen.
Think this is overstated. He is still one of the best 32 QBs in the world. He just isnt top 16.

DefNextYear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Sure, I’m not saying he’s good… but coaching did nothing for him. He performed like he was an undrafted FA basically. If fact, coaching gave up on the whole QB room.

Last edited:

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts: