Poles strategy not what I expected

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
So after three drafts and off-seasons now Poles hasn’t done what I expected. You have two former OL running the show so I expected the team to be built inside out. (Trenches) But the reality is the strongest parts of this team are the secondary/lb’s and the offensive weapons. The biggest questions are at DL and OL. And it’s not like the options weren’t there to improve the DL and OL. Choices were made and other positions prioritized.

This is not a complaint! Think the team looks dramatically better and the future is bright. But if you asked me when Poles was hired would we have 3 stud WRs over dominant line play I would have laughed at that. Anyone else a little surprised that this is where we are now?

(Again, not complaining in anyway and yes I realize some investments have been made in trenches. Just a little shocked at the amazing WR room still.)

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
So after three drafts and off-seasons now Poles hasn’t done what I expected. You have two former OL running the show so I expected the team to be built inside out. (Trenches) But the reality is the strongest parts of this team are the secondary/lb’s and the offensive weapons. The biggest questions are at DL and OL. And it’s not like the options weren’t there to improve the DL and OL. Choices were made and other positions prioritized.

This is not a complaint! Think the team looks dramatically better and the future is bright. But if you asked me when Poles was hired would we have 3 stud WRs over dominant line play I would have laughed at that. Anyone else a little surprised that this is where we are now?

(Again, not complaining in anyway and yes I realize some investments have been made in trenches. Just a little shocked at the amazing WR room still.)
Just depends how FA and the drafts fall. You can predict what happens in those 2 areas. But you can try and adapt with what’s the best talent out there in the current situation. You can have all the positions with super stars. It’s not just possible. But you go with the best you can afford under the salary cap.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
Poles recognizes what wins in todays NFL...QB and WR play. After that you go pass rushers and CB's to try and stop other teams QB's and WR's

he has prioritized those positions. its just hard to get elite pass rushers when everyone else knows their value too.

2025 draft is when poles will attack more pass rushing talent, like a James Pearce Jr to complement Sweat. Till then, try to find a cut or sign some aging vet at the spot for a year

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Just depends how FA and the drafts fall. You can predict what happens in those 2 areas. But you can try and adapt with what’s the best talent out there in the current situation. You can have all the positions with super stars. It’s not just possible. But you go with the best you can afford under the salary cap.

Yeah this has nothing to do with the cap. They could have signed DL or OL. They could have drafted more there. They made other choices. Again not complaining in any way….. it’s just interesting to me that this team seems to be built outside-in vs inside-out.

alswank87

Liked Posts:
I like what he’s done so far. Last year he took oline and DLine. This year he made two no brainer picks. I think next year, he will focus on the trenches again and with 4 picks in the first two rounds, he should be able to bring in a lot of talent for the trenches. I have to admit, this guy seems like he’s a genius GM. This draft is shallow and he traded a bunch of picks from it. Next years draft looks deeper and he has a lot of picks in it. It seems like he has a multifaceted plan that will pay dividends as time goes on. That’s how you build a successful franchise. You don’t build a successful franchise by trading future assets for less value than if you would’ve hung onto them and used them yourself. That’s what fools like our last GM do. I don’t really care what the draft pick value sheet says. Patience pays off. Rome wasn’t built in a day.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Honestly right now from a personal standpoint, aside from the offensive and defensive line, it's like I'm living in a dream. This is what other teams do. This isn't what the Bears do. And yet here we are.

The Bears have the best wide receiving room in the NFL on paper.

This feels like it's going to be absolutely nuts and I'm here for it.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Poles recognizes what wins in todays NFL...QB and WR play. After that you go pass rushers and CB's to try and stop other teams QB's and WR's

he has prioritized those positions. its just hard to get elite pass rushers when everyone else knows their value too.

2025 draft is when poles will attack more pass rushing talent, like a James Pearce Jr to complement Sweat. Till then, try to find a cut or sign some aging vet at the spot for a year

Yes this feels like a little shift here for the modern NFL.

Forty-six

Liked Posts:
It's a totally different approach than what the Bears have done for 50+ years. It's very refreshing and I love it. Poles has prioritized supporting Caleb and offense. When have the Bears EVER had a set of weapons on offense like we have now?

The priority for next year's draft and future free agency periods should be on building the lines on both O and D while always keeping an eye out for dynamic skill positions on offense. I'm hoping Poles will add a piece to both lines with our remaining draft capital this year.

DefNextYear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I think a little luck (health) and good QB play with good weapons will help solidify the offensive line for now. We should continue to fortify it though.

Edge will be a massive need going into next year though unless Poles finds a gem late in this draft. Hopefully Dexter continues to grow into a threat on the IDL.

alswank87

Liked Posts:
Honestly right now from a personal standpoint, aside from the offensive and defensive line, it's like I'm living in a dream. This is what other teams do. This isn't what the Bears do. And yet here we are.

The Bears have the best wide receiving room in the NFL on paper.

This feels like it's going to be absolutely nuts and I'm here for it.
We are talking about building up the trenches, but it’s not like our Oline is terrible. And our DLine could improve just with growth from Pickens and Dexter. We should have the goal of building up the trenches from here on out, since every other position is shored up, but it’s not like they are in horrible condition at the moment. This year is going to be fun to see what we have.

We had the tear down phase. This draft hopefully finishes the complete rebuild phase. Next draft is hopefully the beginning of maintaining a quality team phase.

On a side note, Bears fans should be extremely thankful towards Lovie Smith and Justin Fields. Without them, we wouldn’t be where we are at. I wish them both the absolute best.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
I still want a fucking swing tackle and DE though! 😂
I'd be calling calais Campbell and Carl lawson asap. Draft best OG in rd 3 (depth is nonexistent and Davis is mediocre and future is murky as to who will be there) and Kamara or Harrell as a pass rusher in rd 4.

Unless of course they want to move up for Johnny Newton or Michael hall

Liked Posts:
The truth is that the offensive line has also been improved with the exception of the CENTER position.

For the past couple of seasons the Bears problems with protection failures stem from right in the middle. Especially when the CENTER has to hold his own against Odd fronts. It's been similar to watching a river damn break from the inside out every time.

The good old days of only needing a CENTER to snap the ball and help one of the GUARDS double team an interior passrusher are long gone.

You need a ROCK at the CENTER position that can hold his own against these NT/SHADES that seem to get bigger stronger and faster year after year.

A young CENTER like JPJ or Zach Frazier would give the Bears one of the better starting 5s in the league too.

greg23

Liked Posts:
1st off-season big fa signing was a dt....who was then voided due to injury.

His 1st draft included about 4 or 5 late round OL/DL

His 2nd draft went OT/DL/DL with picks in rounds 1+2

His 2nd in-season involved trading a 2nd for DL

His 3rd offseason he's signed/traded for 3 OL

He's spent a ton of resources on both "trenches" so far