Poles strategy not what I expected

Marley's Liberality

Liked Posts:
I like what he’s done so far. Last year he took oline and DLine. This year he made two no brainer picks. I think next year, he will focus on the trenches again and with 4 picks in the first two rounds, he should be able to bring in a lot of talent for the trenches. I have to admit, this guy seems like he’s a genius GM. This draft is shallow and he traded a bunch of picks from it. Next years draft looks deeper and he has a lot of picks in it. It seems like he has a multifaceted plan that will pay dividends as time goes on. That’s how you build a successful franchise. You don’t build a successful franchise by trading future assets for less value than if you would’ve hung onto them and used them yourself. That’s what fools like our last GM do. I don’t really care what the draft pick value sheet says. Patience pays off. Rome wasn’t built in a day.
He's done some nice things but his biggest move was Lovie winning a meaningless last game of the season for another team. Luck plays a role in anyone's success, but Poles used up all of his in getting that #1 pick and then the Panthers being as bad as they were.

I'd be far less thrilled with life if we had Daniels or Maye today instead of Williams

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
So after three drafts and off-seasons now Poles hasn’t done what I expected. You have two former OL running the show so I expected the team to be built inside out. (Trenches) But the reality is the strongest parts of this team are the secondary/lb’s and the offensive weapons. The biggest questions are at DL and OL. And it’s not like the options weren’t there to improve the DL and OL. Choices were made and other positions prioritized.

This is not a complaint! Think the team looks dramatically better and the future is bright. But if you asked me when Poles was hired would we have 3 stud WRs over dominant line play I would have laughed at that. Anyone else a little surprised that this is where we are now?

(Again, not complaining in anyway and yes I realize some investments have been made in trenches. Just a little shocked at the amazing WR room still.)
I think the amount of holes and early lack of draft capital dictated this.
First year was no 1st and holes everywhere so BPA.
Last year was OT, DL, CB, DL with his first 4 picks so I disagree with your assessment there.
Year three is QB , WR, DE(Sweat), 3rd, 4th WR(Allen), 5thG (Bates).

So, I think it's Bear goggles. As in, it is strange to not see a 3 yards and a cloud of dust mentality trenches avoidance, more a, whats this strange 21st century NFL thing that is happening here.

bears5150

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
First I think Allen is a one year guy here with Odunze on the roster, I don't see them spending the big money on an extension for Allen now. Second Poles has spent a lot on quantity not quality with the OL that is going to be a big mistake. The O-line needs quality and players to play together for years with each other to make the OL formidable. Drafting mid or late round OL and bringing in journey men OL does not work.

baselman1974

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
1st off-season big fa signing was a dt....who was then voided due to injury.

His 1st draft included about 4 or 5 late round OL/DL

His 2nd draft went OT/DL/DL with picks in rounds 1+2

His 2nd in-season involved trading a 2nd for DL

His 3rd offseason he's signed/traded for 3 OL

He's spent a ton of resources on both "trenches" so far
You forgot Stevenson

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
So after three drafts and off-seasons now Poles hasn’t done what I expected. You have two former OL running the show so I expected the team to be built inside out. (Trenches) But the reality is the strongest parts of this team are the secondary/lb’s and the offensive weapons. The biggest questions are at DL and OL. And it’s not like the options weren’t there to improve the DL and OL. Choices were made and other positions prioritized.

This is not a complaint! Think the team looks dramatically better and the future is bright. But if you asked me when Poles was hired would we have 3 stud WRs over dominant line play I would have laughed at that. Anyone else a little surprised that this is where we are now?

(Again, not complaining in anyway and yes I realize some investments have been made in trenches. Just a little shocked at the amazing WR room still.)
sadly its not easy to just up and change players at any position with a click of a button...the GM needs to account for what flus needs to run his scheme, the needs of what a rookie qb will need and then his areas of fous (the trenches)
- to make the tampa 2 work (3T, opportunistic CB's, MLB that can run). Hes addressed those for the most part, he also addressed the oline for the most part and now his focus was on giving caleb everything to succeed from the start...I think if odunze was off the board he would have gone after murphy but the value was just too good to pass on.
I think next years draft, the biggest needs will be EDGE and S aside from addressing those needs i can see OL and DL depth being a priority. If williams shows he is the guy, poles may go all in on adding even more talent knowing the window is now there for a superbowl run.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
We are talking about building up the trenches, but it’s not like our Oline is terrible. And our DLine could improve just with growth from Pickens and Dexter. We should have the goal of building up the trenches from here on out, since every other position is shored up, but it’s not like they are in horrible condition at the moment. This year is going to be fun to see what we have.

We had the tear down phase. This draft hopefully finishes the complete rebuild phase. Next draft is hopefully the beginning of maintaining a quality team phase.

On a side note, Bears fans should be extremely thankful towards Lovie Smith and Justin Fields. Without them, we wouldn’t be where we are at. I wish them both the absolute best.

100%

That said, I think this offensive line unit will end up ranked between 18 and 25 - somewhere in that neighborhood. Jenkins and Wright are mainstays, but I don't want to see Braxton Jones get pushed around anymore - it's year 3 and he should be fully developed by now. Likewise, the center is an upgrade on paper but we still don't know how much of one until the games start, and I think all of us would feel better if the Bears had a draft pick waiting in the wings there.

Still, even an average NFL line is a big improvement to what we had prior.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
Yeah this has nothing to do with the cap. They could have signed DL or OL. They could have drafted more there. They made other choices. Again not complaining in any way….. it’s just interesting to me that this team seems to be built outside-in vs inside-out.
I guess every person has their way. Just like a construction project, you ask 2 different project managers for their schedule and they will look different to some degree. They both have their own fastest way of attacking the project. Same with you. You’re just isn’t the same as Poles is all. But neither way is wrong, if the person truly believes that’s the best plan for the team.

Last edited:

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I think the amount of holes and early lack of draft capital dictated this.
First year was no 1st and holes everywhere so BPA.
Last year was OT, DL, CB, DL with his first 4 picks so I disagree with your assessment there.
Year three is QB , WR, DE(Sweat), 3rd, 4th WR(Allen), 5thG (Bates).

So, I think it's Bear goggles. As in, it is strange to not see a 3 yards and a cloud of dust mentality trenches avoidance, more a, whats this strange 21st century NFL thing that is happening here.

You disagree that the lines are the weakest parts of the team?

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:

BPA isn’t free agency though. There were DL to be signed this year for instance but that money went to Allen instead. That’s why I said choices were made. Everything won’t always get fixed and they chose WR/RB and safety over say DL or maybe a higher rated center.

I just think it’s interesting how they’ve done this is all.

Anytime23

Boding Well
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
BPA isn’t free agency though. There were DL to be signed this year for instance but that money went to Allen instead. That’s why I said choices were made. Everything won’t always get fixed and they chose WR/RB and safety over say DL or maybe a higher rated center.

Literally didn’t read op

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
MIN and MIA are on the phone… maybe SF and PHI as well

Miami - Hill and Waddle
Min - Jefferson and Addison
SF - Samuel and Ayuk
Phi - Smith and ?

If we use the barometer of 1000+ yrd receivers as the definition, the Bears have this and are on par with those teams except Philly, who only had one 1000+ yard receiver last year as I check the stats, unless I am missing something.

The Bears have DJ Moore and Allen, and NOW are adding a THIRD receiver who has the skill set to be another 1000+ yard receiver.

If Odunze lives up to his potential, the Bears have the best WR room in the NFL, hands down.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah this has nothing to do with the cap. They could have signed DL or OL. They could have drafted more there. They made other choices. Again not complaining in any way….. it’s just interesting to me that this team seems to be built outside-in vs inside-out.

Look at it another way, where they are paying premiums for positions they understand less to ensure quality there.

They expect themselves to be able to recognize bargain lineman at some other nodes of acquisition. Udfa, later in draft, free agency, June 1st and Sept 1st cuts.

It may take another year to solidify the offensive line.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
OL can be effective with day 2 and day 3 picks. It takes years for most OL to peak anyway. Most OL play is predicated on playing as a unit not so much individual effort plus your QB can mask a lot of deficiencies by making the right reads and getting ball out quickly. That’s how Packers managed their OL for years with Rodgers. It doesn’t mean you can neglect OL but you don’t need to spend premium picks on every position there.

thenewguy

Liked Posts:

We are just seeing a disciplined, forward thinking GM for once. He is okay having holes or weak spots instead of leveraging the future for middling, past their prime players. Too many times the Bears GM has sold out to try to squeak into the playoffs. I think Poles is really trying to create a Chiefs, Packers, Ravens type of org that are perennial playoff teams with a chance at the Superbowl.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Waldron has to get Caleb to get the ball out of his hands quickly.

3 stud WRs should help that happen.

If the OL stays healthy, they should be adequate. Big "if" though.
Right. We made some moves on the OL and it's average to acceptable, decent. Not a liability. DL is also improved with Sweat, and the LB/CS are very good. Overall a VERY good DEF. Next year is all about plugging holes. Assuming the guys we get at 75 and 122 are nothing more than depth (and that we don't trade up or in to get somebody) we should expect a good year overall and then really tweak it next year so that the OL is now good, or GREAT, and the DL gets the depth and upgrade as well. Nicely balance work over the last couple of years.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
time and again bears wr room was never a long term solution. Had some great combos in past but only were able to keep it together in short 1-2 year windows. Kramer with his trio lasted a year, miller had good wrs lasted a year, cutler with his duo 2 years. I think this is big picture move not just bpa. Extend Moore now and when Odunze needs an extension won’t be any cap restraint because Moore deal would be over. And Allen here for first year of a rookie qb is icing on the cake. In next draft they prob do that for dline.