Polian on the cost of JG today

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Polian is all over the map right now on the QBs.

I didn't know drafting Peyton Manning wrote you a blank check to spew QB hot takes.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Polian is all over the map right now on the QBs.

I didn't know drafting Peyton Manning wrote you a blank check to spew QB hot takes.

People on here with infinitely less credentials spew even more QB hot takes than Polian.

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Pace aint trading the 3 pick for Jimmy G. He will either take the value pick of the elite defender and find his Bears QB elsewhere or go with the safest QB option of Trubisky if he falls to 3. If Cousins goes to the Niners Pace's draft day gets a lot less complicated Trubisky or Allen or if the football gods are really working in his favor Garrett.

Ya don't spend a #3 on a guy with just 1 season.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
I imagine the Bears will be giving up the 1st pick this year or next year on any deal for Garoppolo. QB has to be addressed and Garoppolo looked better than any QB the Bears have had in just his few starts this past season. It is a gamble but something about him tells me it would be a mistake not trading for him. That quick release and his footwork he showed in the pocket was very impressive. Make the trade.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Also Garoppolo is not being traded to the Browns. He will have a say on what team he plays for and the Browns will not be on the list.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Draft a QB #3, save the money, and spend freely in FA. At least we would be able to bolster the rest of the team with the extra money we will save and have the capacity to get another playmaker that we otherwise wouldn't have been able to afford.

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
In a trade for the number 3 pick, the most likely scenario is acquiring the Patriots 1st round pick. The Bears would still be able to add a safety, another receiver like Kupp or Zay Jones, etc. Would be able to add two quick picks (end of 1st and beginning of 2nd), would be good players to go along with Garoppolo.

dweebs19

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd do the trade as long as we got the Pats 1st round pick as well. Not going to trade the 3rd pick straight up for Jimmy G

Chicago Staleys

Realist
Liked Posts:
I'd do the trade as long as we got the Pats 1st round pick as well. Not going to trade the 3rd pick straight up for Jimmy G

I mentioned this several weeks ago. If the trade did happen this is exactly the deal I expect Pace to make. I don't agree that JG is worth a #3 but he better get something back for a #3 over all pick for a back-up QB with 1.5 games of starting experience.

Da Coach

Liked Posts:
He can say he won't sign long term

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
He can say he won't sign long term

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Doing that is in itself risky, however. His agent would advise against it. If he still gets dealt to Cleveland, doesn't sign an extension and plays out the last year on his rookie deal, what if he stinks up the place, or, worse yet, suffers a career ending injury? Then he is totally fubarred.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Many believe, including myself that BB is the greatest coach of all time. He might be one of the best GM's of all time as well.

BB thought Jimmy was good enough to be a 2nd round pick despite the fact he had Tom still playing and likely knew Tom was going to continue playing for a number of years.

BB has held onto him for as long as he can and now he fears he will lose him without getting anything in return but he respects the guy so much that he wants top dollar for him.

Maybe instead of looking at this from a standpoint of BB is trying to swindle some team to maybe BB has been backed into a corner with this one and needs to unload a talented QB to get some value for him.

Except he hasn't been backed into a corner. Pats have enough cap space to franchise him next year and trade him so he doesn't have to trade him this year so he is not backed into a corner.

It's more like he's sitting back and letting teams delude themselves that he is backed into a corner while he's probably relaxing right now on the Cape not worried because he knows someone will cave and overpay. There's always a sucker.

westcoast bear fanatic

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Jimmy is all that and then some then the #3 pick is a bargain for him. I truly believe he is not all that and I hope Pace is eyeballing someone from this draft class. Let another team trade for this pillow fluffer.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Except he hasn't been backed into a corner. Pats have enough cap space to franchise him next year and trade him so he doesn't have to trade him this year so he is not backed into a corner.

It's more like he's sitting back and letting teams delude themselves that he is backed into a corner while he's probably relaxing right now on the Cape not worried because he knows someone will cave and overpay. There's always a sucker.

So you think the Patriots are going to commit over 40 million dollars to the QB position next year? They are going to pay Jimmy top 5 QB money to sit on his ass and do nothing for a season. Yeah OK.

And what if Tom does play 3-4 more seasons? Garoppollo gets older and older and the value gets lower and lower.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
If Jimmy is all that and then some then the #3 pick is a bargain for him. I truly believe he is not all that and I hope Pace is eyeballing someone from this draft class. Let another team trade for this pillow fluffer.

That's a fair call and your opinion. If you don't like him, don't acquire him.

But if you think he is a franchise QB, he sure as hell is worth a #3 pick.

If this is Pace's guy, give him the 3rd pick, try and get some picks in return and go get Jimmy G.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
If there were only a thing called a franchise tag that a team could use to keep a player ...

The franchise tag is used in most instances to try and prolong the contract extension process. If Garoppollo says he will not re-sign long term, why in the world would Cleveland give up valuable draft picks to acquire Jimmy and franchise him for one season?

You can't just keep franchising a player either because the value of the tag continues to increase.

alexbear1

Liked Posts:
Was reading an article on sports mockery yesterday.

Hopefully we get JG for a 2017 2nd rounder and up to another 2nd rounder in 2018.

Then the Browns and the 49ers panic and take QBs with their first picks (e.g. Watson and Trubisky).

And the Bears get to take Garrett with the 3rd pick! We can pay JG his money as we get a premier OLB (to match with our other one) who has a 5th year option.

B O O M!

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Was reading an article on sports mockery yesterday.

Hopefully we get JG for a 2017 2nd rounder and up to another 2nd rounder in 2018.

Then the Browns and the 49ers panic and take QBs with their first picks (e.g. Watson and Trubisky).

And the Bears get to take Garrett with the 3rd pick! We can pay JG his money as we get a premier OLB (to match with our other one) who has a 5th year option.

B O O M!

Instead of "panicking" in your scenario, why wouldn't the Browns just trade #12 for Garoppolo and still draft Garrett at #1???