Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Positional Analysis: WR

Sure Things

None

Question Marks

Cam Meredith [RFA]

The only guy that I consider to be talented in the WR core we just have to hope that he is healthy and ready to pick up where he left off in 2016. My hope is that he would handle about 70 targets in 2018.

Kevin White

He will be on IR at some point and the Bears save no money by cutting him. Nothing really to talk about here, he clearly physically cannot hold up at the NFL level.

Free Agents

Kendall Wright

Has a connection with Trubisky so I would explore bringing him back on a reasonable deal to be the 3 or 4. If he wants more targets he may choose to chase those to another team, but worth the conversation.

Dontrelle Inman

Not sure he fits the offense and he disappeared and had a bunch of drops after an encouraging start to his Bears tenure. I am not sure I would re-sign him unless it was on a very favorable terms.

Josh Bellamy

I know he is fast, but he sucks, is a loud mouth, and isn't even that impactful on special times. It is time for Foxy's BFF to take a walk.

Cuts

Markus Wheaton

Hot garbage and should be cut as soon as humanly possible.

Personnel Preferences [Nagy/Reid or Fangio]

These are my observations based on watching the Chiefs and looking at the history of personnel decisions since Nagy and Reid have worked together. There are some strong preferences in this position.

-Speed: not only to stretch the field, but also to take short passes and make big plays. The Chiefs led the league in short passes, but their WRs averaged 15 YPC, 15 YPC and 13 YPC. The short passes are not staying short.

-They spread the targets around: Hill 105, Wilson 62, Conley/Robinson 59. No one gets more than 45% of the targets in the offense.

-Vertical at all 3 spots: all 3 Chiefs WRs go vertical throughout the game, which keeps the defense guessing and forces a safety or sometimes 2 deep to account for all of the vertical routes from different spots on the field.

-Run blocking is less of a priority: they are running so much run pass option that on many run plays the WR are not even blocking they are running routes on the backside of the formation.

-Philadelphia-Heavy Investment, Kansas City-Value Picks: I am not sure there is much to read into this. In Philly they spent a 1st [Maclin] and a 2nd [Jackson] at the WR position. In Kansas City they spent big [Maclin] and then hit on 5th round [Hill], Conley [3rd] and Wilson [UDFA].

Personnel Thoughts

-I would be shocked if the Bears went WR at the 8th pick despite the need. Lots of risk and no WR jumps off at you like a top 10 pick. My personnel favorite is Ridley, but 8 seems rich.

-This position has been Pace's white whale. He ditched Marshall and Jeffery told him to pound sand and he has not been able to replace them. Royal and White have been huge investments and total trainwrecks. Wright and Inman are solid pros, but neither is more than a 3 or 4.

-I expect them to rely on Meredith to fill one spot. I know that it is a risk with the ACL, but they love Meredith, he produced in 2016, and the ACL happened so early that he should be running during the offseason program.

-I expect them to add at least one starting calibre veteran WR and at least 1 draft pick.

2018 WR Core

540 passes thrown by the Chiefs so using that as a ROUGH NUMBER.

WR-233 targets
TE-157 targets
RB-105 Tragets

1. FA- 70 Targets

2. Meredith-70 Targets

3. Draft Pick-60 targets

4-6. Misc-33

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If I had to fix the position I would go with Richardson, Wilson, Meredith, draft pick 2nd round or later, Cohen, Bellamy with White on PUP.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
you forgot about wheaton...is it possible he contributes given that he has that speed that seems so coveted by reid/nagy

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Yeah I would love for Kirk to be there with our 2nd round pick. Richardson, Wilson, Kirk, Cohen and Shaheen on passing downs between the 20s would be sick with Meredith being brought along slowly and spelling the top 3.

Then once you get in the read zone, you switch to Meredith, Richardson, Howard, Shaheen and a FB/2nd TE with the other guys rotating in depending on the play call.

alexbear1

Liked Posts:
Cameron Meredith, PAUL RICHARDSON, ALBERT WILSON, MARCELL ATEMAN, KENDALL WRIGHT, Kevin White

The above would be solid but isn't that exciting to be honest though it's clearly better than the season just finished. If combined with a dual TE threat of Adam Shaheen and TREY BURTON and Jordan Howard and Tariq Cohen at RB then it certainly could be enough if Trubisky continues to progress.

The dream which will almost certainly remain just that would be something like the following:

Trade back with the Bills in the first round and pick up the 21st in the 1st round, one of their 2nd rounders and their 3rd rounder. That would allow the Bears to go after say Marcus Davenport in the 1st round and target CB or OT and Christian Kirk in the 2nd.

Furthermore Pace could offer a 1 year prove it deal to Allen Robinson and hope he takes it. See below for the WR unit: -

Cameron Meredith, ALLEN ROBINSON, *ALBERT WILSON, CHRISTIAN KIRK, KENDALL WRIGHT, Kevin White

* Albert Wilson, Taylor Gabriel or John Brown

This would be a very exciting group when combined together in a Nagy offence with the TEs and RBs and could be quite lethal if Trubisky performs.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
you forgot about wheaton...is it possible he contributes given that he has that speed that seems so coveted by reid/nagy

He didn't but he's trying... like the rest of us.

Jack Lame

Liked Posts:
Ridley is the best route runner to come out of college I have seen in a while. Maybe trade down a few spots but don't overthink it. Grab him in the 1st and you have yourself a beast @ WR for the next 5-6 years. I also LOVE Auden Tate out of FSU. If you can get him in the 2nd round that's a steal too.

Fatman LOU

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
D J Moore out of Maryland would be a good addition to Nagy's offense. Quick, fast, physical and a good route runner. Creates separation out of his breaks. Soft hands.. If he is there in the second round for us i hope he would get some consideration. I dont have enough posts to apply video.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Good write up, but Pace did not ditch Alshon, I get tired of hearing this. Alshon was NEVER EVER coming back to the Bears no matter what we would have offered. He ws going to a super bowl contending team, thus why he made that statement last year.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Ridley is the best route runner to come out of college I have seen in a while. Maybe trade down a few spots but don't overthink it. Grab him in the 1st and you have yourself a beast @ WR for the next 5-6 years. I also LOVE Auden Tate out of FSU. If you can get him in the 2nd round that's a steal too.

Even better, Ridley is an outside receiver with 4.3-4.4 speed. I think he'd do nicely here.

napo55

Liked Posts:
I'd hope at least 2 WR draft picks and one or two FA signings. It's absolutely critical that the sorry Bear receiving corps be upgraded for their young QB. I wouldn't count on any of the existing group. Meredith is coming off a serious injury and it remains to be seen how much he may have lost. The rest are roster fillers for any regular team's WR group.

ob1force

Liked Posts:
D J Moore out of Maryland would be a good addition to Nagy's offense. Quick, fast, physical and a good route runner. Creates separation out of his breaks. Soft hands.. If he is there in the second round for us i hope he would get some consideration. I dont have enough posts to apply video.

I like Moore as well; put up solid numbers despite dealing with like 3-4 different QB's. He's probably a round 2-3 guy at the moment.

Personally, I think Pace should trade up in the third round and get his WR there. IMO, the WR class is pretty deep.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
Our WR core is trash bags. May need to take two with our first 3 picks.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Positional Analysis: WR

Sure Things

None

Question Marks

Cam Meredith [RFA]

The only guy that I consider to be talented in the WR core we just have to hope that he is healthy and ready to pick up where he left off in 2016. My hope is that he would handle about 70 targets in 2018.

Kevin White

He will be on IR at some point and the Bears save no money by cutting him. Nothing really to talk about here, he clearly physically cannot hold up at the NFL level.

Free Agents

Kendall Wright

Has a connection with Trubisky so I would explore bringing him back on a reasonable deal to be the 3 or 4. If he wants more targets he may choose to chase those to another team, but worth the conversation.

Dontrelle Inman

Not sure he fits the offense and he disappeared and had a bunch of drops after an encouraging start to his Bears tenure. I am not sure I would re-sign him unless it was on a very favorable terms.

Josh Bellamy

I know he is fast, but he sucks, is a loud mouth, and isn't even that impactful on special times. It is time for Foxy's BFF to take a walk.

Cuts

None

Personnel Preferences [Nagy/Reid or Fangio]

These are my observations based on watching the Chiefs and looking at the history of personnel decisions since Nagy and Reid have worked together. There are some strong preferences in this position.

-Speed: not only to stretch the field, but also to take short passes and make big plays. The Chiefs led the league in short passes, but their WRs averaged 15 YPC, 15 YPC and 13 YPC. The short passes are not staying short.

-They spread the targets around: Hill 105, Wilson 62, Conley/Robinson 59. No one gets more than 45% of the targets in the offense.

-Vertical at all 3 spots: all 3 Chiefs WRs go vertical throughout the game, which keeps the defense guessing and forces a safety or sometimes 2 deep to account for all of the vertical routes from different spots on the field.

-Run blocking is less of a priority: they are running so much run pass option that on many run plays the WR are not even blocking they are running routes on the backside of the formation.

-Philadelphia-Heavy Investment, Kansas City-Value Picks: I am not sure there is much to read into this. In Philly they spent a 1st [Maclin] and a 2nd [Jackson] at the WR position. In Kansas City they spent big [Maclin] and then hit on 5th round [Hill], Conley [3rd] and Wilson [UDFA].

Personnel Thoughts

-I would be shocked if the Bears went WR at the 8th pick despite the need. Lots of risk and no WR jumps off at you like a top 10 pick. My personnel favorite is Ridley, but 8 seems rich.

-This position has been Pace's white whale. He ditched Marshall and Jeffery told him to pound sand and he has not been able to replace them. Royal and White have been huge investments and total trainwrecks. Wright and Inman are solid pros, but neither is more than a 3 or 4.

-I expect them to rely on Meredith to fill one spot. I know that it is a risk with the ACL, but they love Meredith, he produced in 2016, and the ACL happened so early that he should be running during the offseason program.

-I expect them to add at least one starting calibre veteran WR and at least 1 draft pick.

2018 WR Core

540 passes thrown by the Chiefs so using that as a ROUGH NUMBER.

WR-233 targets
TE-157 targets
RB-105 Tragets

1. FA- 70 Targets

2. Meredith-70 Targets

3. Draft Pick-60 targets

4-6. Misc-33

I think u have to take into account that he won't have Travis Kelce, so 157 to the TE will be significantly lower. Increase probably mostly to WRs though Cohen probably pages the RB total up too.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

napo55

Liked Posts:
The fact that Jordan Howard has so far shown to a sub par receiver means that the WR position is even more important.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
Correction on Meredith he produced when Jeffrey was playing and was the garbage we have now when Jeffry wasn’t playing.

msadows

Liked Posts:
The OP is right, we should sign jarvis landry.