Post Draft Cap Situation

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
As others have pointed out .... Leonard was rookie of the year at LB and led the league in T's. ?️‍?He'd look good in a Bears Uni. ?️‍? Malik Hooker is an ?EJax ?type of S. Justin Houston just signed with them. Their D was 11th in the NFL in total defense. Ebron is not that bad of a TE either. I could go on, but these alone should be enough to not call them hot garbage.

I agree, shouldn't be looking past the Colts this season.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
As others have pointed out .... Leonard was rookie of the year at LB and led the league in T's. He'd look good in a Bears Uni. Malik Hooker is an EJax type of S. Justin Houston just signed with them. Their D was 11th in the NFL in total defense. Ebron is not that bad of a TE either. I could go on, but these alone should be enough to not call them hot garbage.
Missing the point, the Colts werent brought up because they have a couple of stars that would play for us (and this isn't the first post that got away from that point, but I'm here now, so what can ya do?) The colts were brought into this conversation because Westcoastbearsfan used them as an example of drafting well every year in the middle rounds, so they can build a good team around an expensive star QB. Included in this is that young talent replaces your dudes that start elsewhere. It was specifically used to support his claim on how teams that contest for the SB year in and year out build long term contenders.

Leonard is a second round pick, Hilton was drafted forever ago, Hooker was a top 10 talent that fell ever so slightly to 15, and Ebron and Houston are FAs. So no, their roster isn't hot garbage, but their drafting has been historically awful in the modern era and a small number of cant-miss high round picks over the last two drafts doesn't change that at all.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Not really worried. Cuts and extensions coming up so dont expect this long.

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
Missing the point, the Colts werent brought up because they have a couple of stars that would play for us (and this isn't the first post that got away from that point, but I'm here now, so what can ya do?) The colts were brought into this conversation because Westcoastbearsfan used them as an example of drafting well every year in the middle rounds, so they can build a good team around an expensive star QB. Included in this is that young talent replaces your dudes that start elsewhere. It was specifically used to support his claim on how teams that contest for the SB year in and year out build long term contenders.

Leonard is a second round pick, Hilton was drafted forever ago, Hooker was a top 10 talent that fell ever so slightly to 15, and Ebron and Houston are FAs. So no, their roster isn't hot garbage, but their drafting has been historically awful in the modern era and a small number of cant-miss high round picks over the last two drafts doesn't change that at all.
Fair enough. I only saw the comment that the Colts roster was 'hot garbage', and I objected to that, and made my point. If I took anything out of context, I apologize. I do think that the Colts drafting has significantly improve as evidenced by their GM winning GM of the year.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Fair enough. I only saw the comment that the Colts roster was 'hot garbage', and I objected to that, and made my point. If I took anything out of context, I apologize. I do think that the Colts drafting has significantly improve as evidenced by their GM winning GM of the year.

Hot Garbage was hyperbole.

But their roster is a middle of the pack roster that is elevated by Luck. They have drafted horribly over the past 5 years outside of last season and a couple of picks the year before.

They are not the poster child for drafting well to replace young talent. They are the new poster child for having an incredible QB that makes you playoff worthy while you rebuild.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
The poster child for that strategy, as surprising as it may be is probably the Seahawks even though it has not seemed like they have been as competitive as they have.

Seattle has won 64 regular season games and 7 playoff games since the start of the 2013 season.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
In the 4 seasons the Seahawks have been paying Russell big money they have

Won 39 games
Made the playoffs 3 times
Won 2 playoff games

gallagher

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
No apologies needed my dude. That's just how it happens sometimes.

And I'd still say that the colts aren't a good example of anything a good team should do. They tanked for the best QB prospect of the generation, and then shorten his career but falling to invest in good blocking for about six straight years.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
No apologies needed my dude. That's just how it happens sometimes.

And I'd still say that the colts aren't a good example of anything a good team should do. They tanked for the best QB prospect of the generation, and then shorten his career but falling to invest in good blocking for about six straight years.
Yes sir, and to clarify my standpoint, I hate the Colts, and I hate Luck.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
why do you hate luck? everything I hear about him is that he's a solid dude.
Yeah, you're right. Hate is a strong word. I don't know, I didn't like him coming out of College and I still don't like him. Just not my type of QB I guess. Don't really have a good answer.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
Yeah, you're right. Hate is a strong word. I don't know, I didn't like him coming out of College and I still don't like him. Just not my type of QB I guess. Don't really have a good answer.
You hate his dorky face, don't you? It's ok, he isn't reading this.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Name a defender on the colts who starts for the Bears.

They have 1 WR

They have a fluke at TE

They have a great Ol and QB.

Pretty silly comparison. Bears had the No 1 D in the NFL so there are a lot of teams that in theory only have a couple of players that would start on the Bears. That doesn't prove the Colts roster is hot garbage. That proves the Bears D was great.

By this rationale, I could say the Bears O is hot garbage because name me an offensive player that starts on the Chiefs offense (prior to Hunt being let go). That would probably only be ARob as the 2nd WR and maybe an OL but that is about it.

Kaufman20Embalm

Liked Posts:
I could be mistaken but I thought Pace won executive of the year this past years.

Edit nvm was confusing Pace with Nagy winning coach of the year.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
I think next year could be a fun offseason. Seattle had a fun blueprint that the Bears could follow. They turned the 21st overall pick into 6 picks (4 in the first 4 rounds). Pace should be pretty confident in his ability to draft at this point. 2015 Pace played it safe. 2016, was quantity approach. 2017 was quality. 2018 was quantity/quality mix as he didn't trade down early for extra picks but did trade a future pick for a 2018 pick. 2019 was neither because of the necessary Mack trade.

If the Raiders are bad again, that 2nd round pick will be in the top 40. That pick will be in the sweet spot as there were 7 trade ups this year for teams between 35-50. Any trade down more than 7-8 picks in the 2nd, typically yields a 3rd. They could then trade down a little there and get a 4th. 2020 looks like a great class on paper. The Bears can turn two 2s and a 4th into picks at say.......50, 64 (see what i did there?), 80, 115, 130, along with those multiple 5th/6ths.

The Bears only lost 3 starters this offseason (Amos, Howard, Callahan), and stand to lose 3 next year, assuming Whitehair re-signs. But they are in trouble depth wise for 2020. No backup QB, all the backup OL that has actually played up to this point, 3rd edge rusher, DL depth potentially gone, and there's only Eddie Jackson at safety in 2020. And like OP said, not a lot of money, even after cuts. So a quantity approach to the draft would probably be an ideal scenario next year.

gallagher

Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Pretty silly comparison. Bears had the No 1 D in the NFL so there are a lot of teams that in theory only have a couple of players that would start on the Bears. That doesn't prove the Colts roster is hot garbage. That proves the Bears D was great.

By this rationale, I could say the Bears O is hot garbage because name me an offensive player that starts on the Chiefs offense (prior to Hunt being let go). That would probably only be ARob as the 2nd WR and maybe an OL but that is about it.
Hold the phone, I was assured with certainty that Shaheen was a superstar in the making

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I could be mistaken but I thought Pace won executive of the year this past years.

Edit nvm was confusing Pace with Nagy winning coach of the year.

Pace won the Sporting News one announced in March that is voted on by other NFL exes. Since it is announced so late in March people forget about it as the earlier award that happens in Jan is the one voted on by writers and is announced around the same time as coach of the year. So that Jan award was won by Ballard.

Last edited: