Philadelphia Eagles (2010)
Coaches' assistant
Philadelphia Eagles (2011−2012)
Offensive quality control coach
Kansas City Chiefs (2013–2015)
Quarterbacks coach
Kansas City Chiefs (2016–present)
Offensive coordinator

Young up and coming OC at 39 years of age. He seems to be Andy Reid’s protege. He was on Reid’s staff since 2008 back in Philadelphia. Reid took him with to KC as his QB coach. He promoted him to offensive coordinator in 2016. The offense they run is extremely innovative and unpredictable, so basically the opposite of what the Bears are running at the moment. Not only that, the offense they run is extremely adaptable based on skill set. Alex Smith and Pat Mahomes are complete opposites, yet Reid had no problem drafting him.

Terez was on there this week and, in the context of talking about how or why Alex Smith and the offense has improved, he mentioned a name we probably haven’t mentioned enough: Chiefs OC Matt Nagy.

“Matt Nagy has been getting a lot of credit from men in that locker room about the tweaks that he’s made to that offense and the play calling,” Terez said. “Nagy taking a more prominent role in the play calling very well might have something to do with the increased efficiency.”

That’s interesting that some players think that and it’s not Andy Reid trying to sell us on one of his assistants (like Doug Pederson calling plays in the second half of the 2015 season).

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2017/10/11/16459200/what-is-oc-matt-nagys-role-in-the-chiefs-offensive-surge

When asked about the Chiefs' creativity on offense, his grin threatened to break his face.

"It's a dream, man. They're making the Madden guys' jobs hard," West said, referring to programmers and designers at EA Sports who are responsible for the signature NFL video game.

"I don't know how they're going to get all of this stuff in the game next year," West said.

If they're trying to replicate the Chiefs' playbook, it might push the limits of technology.

Whether it's a jet sweep run through any number of players, on any position on the field, to the tunnel screens that have allowed tight end Travis Kelce to rack up the yardage, one thing is clear: The game plans that coach Andy Reid and offensive coordinator Matt Nagy have put together this season have pushed the boundaries of what seems possible in a league known for its copycat tendencies.

"Every week, defenses are trying to do something to take away what you're trying to do. That's always been the case," quarterback Alex Smith said. "I think the goal is to be really balanced. You want a lot of guys that can produce, you want to do it in a lot of different ways, so you're not one-dimensional - so they can't shut you down that easily."

One dimensional? Heck, the Chiefs are pushing the boundaries of three-dimensional.

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20171012/sports/310129782

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
With Fangio on the staff and a young, promising QB to develop, I'd expect an OC, not a DC.

I think the plan is already to retain Fangio, and the only way to do so is to HC him, or recruit Harbaugh. I'm down for Nagy though.

The key is the read option and rollout stuff, Alex Smith is pretty fast, but Trubs is pretty similar when you get down to it. We may not want to admit we took Alex Smith when Michael Jordan was on the board, but I don't think Watson will last. This is a Griffin like performance, and if he keeps taking the hits he does it will be a Griffin like career for him.

While we drafted Alex Smith. Would everyone be ok with that?

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
KC has a ton of guys who can not only catch the ball, but make plays out of nothing. Kelce is one of the best TEs in the league. They have a ton of speed on offense. No matter who the Bears get as coach, they need a lot more speed and more play makers.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I think the plan is already to retain Fangio, and the only way to do so is to HC him, or recruit Harbaugh. I'm down for Nagy though.

The key is the read option and rollout stuff, Alex Smith is pretty fast, but Trubs is pretty similar when you get down to it. We may not want to admit we took Alex Smith when Michael Jordan was on the board, but I don't think Watson will last. This is a Griffin like performance, and if he keeps taking the hits he does it will be a Griffin like career for him.

While we drafted Alex Smith. Would everyone be ok with that?

Throughout his entire career, Alex Smith has refused to push the ball down the field. While Smith is athletic and was a runner in college, he does not possess the playmaking ability of Trubisky (elusiveness in the pocket/throwing on the run/accuracy command with velocity).

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
Matt Nagy - Offensive Coordinator KC Chiefs

012116-MattNagy-tn.jpg

Philadelphia Eagles (2008–2009)
Coaching intern
Philadelphia Eagles (2010)
Coaches' assistant
Philadelphia Eagles (2011−2012)
Offensive quality control coach
Kansas City Chiefs (2013–2015)
Quarterbacks coach
Kansas City Chiefs (2016–present)
Offensive coordinator

Young up and coming OC at 39 years of age. He seems to be Andy Reid’s protege. He was on Reid’s staff since 2008 back in Philadelphia. Reid took him with to KC as his QB coach. He promoted him to offensive coordinator in 2016. The offense they run is extremely innovative and unpredictable, so basically the opposite of what the Bears are running at the moment. Not only that, the offense they run is extremely adaptable based on skill set. Alex Smith and Pat Mahomes are complete opposites, yet Reid had no problem drafting him.

Terez was on there this week and, in the context of talking about how or why Alex Smith and the offense has improved, he mentioned a name we probably haven’t mentioned enough: Chiefs OC Matt Nagy.

“Matt Nagy has been getting a lot of credit from men in that locker room about the tweaks that he’s made to that offense and the play calling,” Terez said. “Nagy taking a more prominent role in the play calling very well might have something to do with the increased efficiency.”

That’s interesting that some players think that and it’s not Andy Reid trying to sell us on one of his assistants (like Doug Pederson calling plays in the second half of the 2015 season).

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2017/10/11/16459200/what-is-oc-matt-nagys-role-in-the-chiefs-offensive-surge

When asked about the Chiefs' creativity on offense, his grin threatened to break his face.

"It's a dream, man. They're making the Madden guys' jobs hard," West said, referring to programmers and designers at EA Sports who are responsible for the signature NFL video game.

"I don't know how they're going to get all of this stuff in the game next year," West said.

If they're trying to replicate the Chiefs' playbook, it might push the limits of technology.

Whether it's a jet sweep run through any number of players, on any position on the field, to the tunnel screens that have allowed tight end Travis Kelce to rack up the yardage, one thing is clear: The game plans that coach Andy Reid and offensive coordinator Matt Nagy have put together this season have pushed the boundaries of what seems possible in a league known for its copycat tendencies.

"Every week, defenses are trying to do something to take away what you're trying to do. That's always been the case," quarterback Alex Smith said. "I think the goal is to be really balanced. You want a lot of guys that can produce, you want to do it in a lot of different ways, so you're not one-dimensional - so they can't shut you down that easily."

One dimensional? Heck, the Chiefs are pushing the boundaries of three-dimensional.

http://www.dailyherald.com/article/20171012/sports/310129782

I’ve already posted about him. Team him up with Bowles and I’m down.

Teddy KGB

Cultural Icon
Liked Posts:
When the offense is the gimmick, the production ends once it is figured out. Whereas other systems may be predictable, the talents of the quarterback and those around him endure longer than any system.

Any system can work so long as you have the players to run it.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Throughout his entire career, Alex Smith has refused to push the ball down the field. While Smith is athletic and was a runner in college, he does not possess the playmaking ability of Trubisky (elusiveness in the pocket/throwing on the run/accuracy command with velocity).

I always thought the constant Alex Smith as ceiling comparisons were not giving Trubs nearly enough credit. This year is an exception for Smith but Trubs looked more creative, aware, stronger and athletic coming out of college. His ceiling is similar to guy like Wentz as in, there really isn't one. They could also still turn out meh. We just need to see where they end up, stop trying to pigeonhole these guys and be happy they have that sort of potential.

I definitely want an O mind as HC next time. I definitely don't want to give my HC GM type control. If that's what Harbaugh needs, see you. He needs checks and balances he won't respect without a GM. He's a little whacky and has megalomaniac tendencies.
hjarbaugh.gif

The Doctor

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
I'm new here guys so if this has been posted elsewhere, apologies.
According to an ESPN article, these are the newbies (never been a head coach at the NFL level) that could get their shot next year:

Dowell Loggains (Bears offensive coordinator)
Teryl Austin (Lions defensive coordinator)
Matt Patricia (Pats defensive coordinator)
Mike Vrabel (Texans defensive coordinator)
Jim Bob Cooter (Lions offensive coordinator)
Edgar Bennett (Packers offensive coordinator)
Paul Guenther (Bengals defensive coordinator)
Frank Reich (Eagles offensive coordinator)
Kris Richard (Seahawks defensive coordinator)
Joe Woods (Broncos defensive coordinator)
Byron Leftwich (Cardinals quarterbacks coach)
Matt Burke (Dolphins defensive coordinator)
Steve Wilks (Panthers defensive coordinator)
Matt LaFleur (Rams offensive coordinator)

These are the retreads:

Josh McDaniels (Pats offensive coordinator)
Pat Shurmur (Vikings offensive coordinator)
Bill Callahan (Redskins Offensive line coach)
Steve Spagnuolo (Giants Defensive coordinator)
Tom Cable (Seahawks Offensive line coach)
Mike Smith (Buccaneers Defensive coordinator)
Mike McCoy (Broncos offensive coordinator)
Greg Schiano (Ohio State defensive coordinator)
Jim Mora Jr. (UCLA head coach)
Jim Schwartz (Eagles defensive coordinator)
Jon Gruden (ESPN football analyst)
Mike Munchak (Steelers offensive line coach)

legendxofxlink

Whistle Dixie
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nashville Predators
  1. ETSU Buccaneers
  2. Tennessee Volunteers
When the offense is the gimmick, the production ends once it is figured out. Whereas other systems may be predictable, the talents of the quarterback and those around him endure longer than any system.

Any system can work so long as you have the players to run it.

Sent from my SM-G920T using Tapatalk

I agree for the most part. The right coach laying the ground work in the off-season really helps as well. Eagles are prime example of good coaching with less than stellar talent.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
Nice thread Adipost. I appreciate you pulling this together. Nagy or LaFleur would work for me. I want a young, creative offensive mind that can really coach and lead working with Mitch. Either guy would need a solid 3-4 D coordinator if they didn't want to keep Fangio.

If we didn't have a young QB in place, Vrabel would be interesting.

Navy Orange Ninja

Liked Posts:
Interesting HC candidate and he seems to be doing well in KC. I am concerned about 2 things.

1. Building continuity on both sides of the ball. All the high performing teams have had coaches/schemes in place for several years. I am not opposed to replacing Fox, but want to "pick and stick" at some point. The rotating door at OC killed this team during the Lovie era... among other things.

2. Losing Fangio as DC. The risk with bringing in a new HC is obviously losing him and we have drafted according to his scheme. I don't know if I am willing to blow up the defensive side of the ball because it looks like they are ready to turn a corner soon and be legit. I also think Fangio is one of the better DC's in the league and don't know what quality DC would be willing to come in to replace if we keep hitting the reset button.

DrGonzo

Gazpacho Police
Donator
Liked Posts:
How does he feel about building the man through bowling? Also, are his daughters hawt?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

iffybiz

Liked Posts:
Interesting HC candidate and he seems to be doing well in KC. I am concerned about 2 things.

1. Building continuity on both sides of the ball. All the high performing teams have had coaches/schemes in place for several years. I am not opposed to replacing Fox, but want to "pick and stick" at some point. The rotating door at OC killed this team during the Lovie era... among other things.

2. Losing Fangio as DC. The risk with bringing in a new HC is obviously losing him and we have drafted according to his scheme. I don't know if I am willing to blow up the defensive side of the ball because it looks like they are ready to turn a corner soon and be legit. I also think Fangio is one of the better DC's in the league and don't know what quality DC would be willing to come in to replace if we keep hitting the reset button.

If you keep Fox, you lose Fangio anyway. There were plenty of rumors he wanted to walk and didn’t get along with Fox (my guess is that Fox wants his say on the defense).his contract is up after this year, if Fox is here, he is gone.
Picking a offensive head coach may actually increase the odds that Fangio stays, as he would get the authority to run the defense as he sees fit.
One name not mentioned was David Shaw. He has ties to Fangio via Harbaugh’s staff at Stanford. He’s a Stanford alum so it might be tough to pry him away but he’s the ideal coach to come in here.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I always thought the constant Alex Smith as ceiling comparisons were not giving Trubs nearly enough credit. This year is an exception for Smith but Trubs looked more creative, aware, stronger and athletic coming out of college. His ceiling is similar to guy like Wentz as in, there really isn't one. They could also still turn out meh. We just need to see where they end up, stop trying to pigeonhole these guys and be happy they have that sort of potential.

I definitely want an O mind as HC next time. I definitely don't want to give my HC GM type control. If that's what Harbaugh needs, see you. He needs checks and balances he won't respect without a GM. He's a little whacky and has megalomaniac tendencies.
hjarbaugh.gif

Yeah...I wouldn't call Alex Smith his ceiling....god no. I think Alex Smith is a comparable floor, who has smart guys around him, 5 cohens to turn his downfield issues into 50 yards YAC a play, and a good defense, great home field.

Put Trubs in that situation as a ten year vet, and yes, I see Alex Smith as his floor barring catastrophic injury.

The interesting part, is if Trubisky has the work ethic to turn his short to mid accuracy, and extend to great accuracy at 30, 40, 50 yards.

Because we are looking at a dude with a little splash of Favre composure, compete, improv. And can throw on the run too. If Mentally his comparison turns out to be a less whiny Brady I would be happy.

Basketball players for sure see range continue to extend throughout careers, all the way until they can't run anymore.
Trubisky can also throw on the run.

And while its a good point Trubisky is good in the pocket, or has potential to be, is quick and elusive, its because he is much shorter than Alex Smith and mechanically is going to dip and cut like romo and escape.

But I call that a wash to Smith's height and reach being able to stay in the pocket better, see over the line, and deliver the check down.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

Come-on. I like Trubisky but he is an inexperienced rookie. Personally I would be more than happy if he gets to be as good as Alex Smith one day.