Pre-Spring Training Picks

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Hes been looked at as a possible juicer before 2012. Ive always felt he was a juicer.

Sent from my Rotary Phone using Tapatalk

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I like the Giants as a WC but LAD should be over loaded again. I would not bet against them.

I can't see the Cards' continuing to win the NL after their losses. I'll go with the Pirates in the central.

Other WC I have to look at the NL east. Either Was or Atl.

AL I don't see much change. NYY I feel has too many holes to take out Bost. Seatle will prove why tossing cash at a team means little as they struggle at the bottom with the stroes. Except the Stries have a promising future and the M's have overhead.

WS taking a early stab: Bost again out of the AL. Going with LAD. Again too stacked to bet against them.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Why? Cabrera didnt gain 30 pounds in an off season.

Plenty of players add a lot of weight during the offseason because they shed it as the season progresses. Spending everyday outside in 90+ degree weather is going to cause you to lose weight. Trout said it himself last year that he only added 8 pounds and it was all muscle.

http://larrybrownsports.com/baseball/mike-trout-weight-gain-pounds-muscle/177153

What's even funnier is that Trout won't turn 23 until August, he's still growing into his body. His draft profile from '09 says that he weighed in at 210 pounds and adding that kind of weight over a 4+ year period isn't out of the ordinary.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Plenty of players add a lot of weight during the offseason because they shed it as the season progresses. Spending everyday outside in 90+ degree weather is going to cause you to lose weight. Trout said it himself last year that he only added 8 pounds and it was all muscle.

http://larrybrownsports.com/baseball/mike-trout-weight-gain-pounds-muscle/177153

What's even funnier is that Trout won't turn 23 until August, he's still growing into his body. His draft profile from '09 says that he weighed in at 210 pounds and adding that kind of weight over a 4+ year period isn't out of the ordinary.

To each their own on this subject, but Ive seen a lot of juicers in my life. Trout just follows a pattern to me. I am also of the mindset that the steroid era really isnt over. Its just different now.

patg006

Liked Posts:
I like the Giants as a WC but LAD should be over loaded again. I would not bet against them.

I can't see the Cards' continuing to win the NL after their losses. I'll go with the Pirates in the central.

Other WC I have to look at the NL east. Either Was or Atl.

AL I don't see much change. NYY I feel has too many holes to take out Bost. Seatle will prove why tossing cash at a team means little as they struggle at the bottom with the stroes. Except the Stries have a promising future and the M's have overhead.

WS taking a early stab: Bost again out of the AL. Going with LAD. Again too stacked to bet against them.

What did the cards exactly 'lose?' Pete Kozma for Johnny Peralta? I'd say that's an upgrade.

Carlos Beltran for Peter Bourjous? Slight downgrade for production, but I think Beltran is done.

Michael Wacha making pennies to Chris Carpenter, who didn't throw in 2013 and his 12 million salary? I'd say upgrade.

Shelby Miller for Jake Westbrook? Upgrade.

Still has a good bullpen, Oscar Tavares up sometime this year, rotation, and solid line up that loses power for Bourjos, but can get power back with Tavares.

Yeah, I feel safe picking them again...

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
What did the cards exactly 'lose?' Pete Kozma for Johnny Peralta? I'd say that's an upgrade.

Carlos Beltran for Peter Bourjous? Slight downgrade for production, but I think Beltran is done.

Michael Wacha making pennies to Chris Carpenter, who didn't throw in 2013 and his 12 million salary? I'd say upgrade.

Shelby Miller for Jake Westbrook? Upgrade.

Still has a good bullpen, Oscar Tavares up sometime this year, rotation, and solid line up that loses power for Bourjos, but can get power back with Tavares.

Yeah, I feel safe picking them again...

The only way the Cardinals don't win the division is if one of Wacha or Wainright have season ending injuries. Even if only one goes down, they still make the playoffs because their rotation is that deep.

When you can trot out Wainright, Wacha, Lynn, Miller, and Garcia, plus have Kelly as depth, and not to mention having Manness, Martinez, Motte, Siegrist, and Rosenthal in the pen is extremely brutal any way you slice it.

As Pat had mentioned, having one of the premier prospects in all of baseball waiting in the wings won't hurt either. The Cardinals may have a little adjustment period, but it won't take long to get that train going full steam ahead. They won't suffer near as many think because of Beltran. They have power, speed, defense, and hit for average players all throughout the line-up somewhere. It is hard to stop them.

Even if they don't score many runs (which they will), their pitching is so nasty top to bottom that they will hold other teams down and stay in most games even when they lose.

They are the team to beat in all of baseball IMO.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
IDK. It is not about that Beltran will give to the Yanks vs what he gave to the Cards post Pujos. He was the guy who took over the heart of the order and kept the team from missing a beat after they let Pujos go.

I just do not see a soul of the line up right now. A guy that you can just lean on in the play offs. Who knows some one might step up but that is a big question mark to me.

Even the Bo-Sox had that soul thing going on. Team grew beards. Ortiz was the leader of the team in the play offs.

Got more to do with chemistry. Ya they are talented but I wouldn't bet against the Dodgers. Even so Pirates are up and coming and have a pool of talent still to be had. Some of the the best pitching and still top of the rotation in the pipe. MVP core hitter as the team leader. good youth around him.

That team is going to be a pain in the central.

JosMin

Entirely too much tuna
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
To each their own on this subject, but Ive seen a lot of juicers in my life. Trout just follows a pattern to me. I am also of the mindset that the steroid era really isnt over. Its just different now.

A pattern where he's absolutely crushed at every single level he's played professionally from age 18 onward?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I got the cubs with a 47-115 season and half of this board trying to rationalize it as a good thing.

Division Winners: St. Louis, LaD, Atlanta, Detroit, NYY, Rangers

WC: San Francisco, Pittsburgh, Oakland, Boston. SF beats Pitt and Boston beats Oakland.

St. Louis beats LA, SF beats Atlanta. SF beats StL. Rangers beat Boston, NYY beats Detroit. NYY beats Texas.

I got the Yankees beating the Giants in the WS in 7 games.

NL Cy Young - Matt Cain
AL Cy Young - Chris Sale or Yu Darvish
NL MVP - Paul Goldschmidt
AL MVP - Miggy
NL ROY - Eddy Butler (Rockies)
AL ROY - Jose Abreau (White Sox)

Based on your posts, you think they won 47 each of the last two seasons as well.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
A pattern where he's absolutely crushed at every single level he's played professionally from age 18 onward?

No, body development. I come from an area where juice is the norm. I have seen people grow naturally and on the gas. I also know 2 major leaguers well and they have confirmed the amount of juice that still goes around.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

wrong. from 2009 thru 2011 he did not have the power he has now. 09 1 Hr in 44 games. 2010 10 hrs in 131 games. 2011 11 hrs in 91 games than goes into the mlb and hits 30 bombs? please. he wasnt crushing it pre mlb. got onbase and had a high ba but the power wasnt there. its suspicious to see the power leap

patg006

Liked Posts:
Based on your posts, you think they won 47 each of the last two seasons as well.

They had a bat in the line up the past 2 years.

How are they going to score runs this year? They paid another team 19 million to take the guy who averaged 33 home runs, 105 RBIs, 32 doubles, .260 average in the middle of the line up these past 2 years for Nate the great.

Nate the great doesn't scare pitchers the way Sori does, sorry. Rizzo isn't going to get shit to swing at this year because any pitcher with half a brain knows to go after Nate, who likely is batting 4th.

The cubs' pitching overachieved last year, I think it will be effective, just not as good as last year. Add zero offense, a better division, better NL, tough AL teams, and I fail to see this team doing anything important until the prospects get called up.

patg006

Liked Posts:
IDK. It is not about that Beltran will give to the Yanks vs what he gave to the Cards post Pujos. He was the guy who took over the heart of the order and kept the team from missing a beat after they let Pujos go.

I just do not see a soul of the line up right now. A guy that you can just lean on in the play offs. Who knows some one might step up but that is a big question mark to me.

Even the Bo-Sox had that soul thing going on. Team grew beards. Ortiz was the leader of the team in the play offs.

Got more to do with chemistry. Ya they are talented but I wouldn't bet against the Dodgers. Even so Pirates are up and coming and have a pool of talent still to be had. Some of the the best pitching and still top of the rotation in the pipe. MVP core hitter as the team leader. good youth around him.

Cards have no chemistry?

Sorry, that is the last team I expect to have chemistry problems.

They're going to be around because like Boo said, they got great hitting and pitching that has no excuse not to dominate.

Pittsburgh has better hitting, but pitching? No way.....no contest.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Matt Holliday:.300/.389/.490 22 HR 94 RBI
Allen Craig .315/.373/.457 13 HR 97 RBI
Yadier Molina .319/.359/.477 12 HR 80 RBI
Matt Adams .284/.335/.503 17 HR 51 RBI (296 AB)
Matt Carpenter .318/.392/.3481 11 HR 78 RBI
Jhonny Peralta .303/.358/.457 11 HR 55 RBI

They lost Beltran 24 HR 84 RBI in 554 AB's.

The team lacks a big HR bat. They have gotten by with stacking .300 hitters Their team OBA is remarkable. But for a team that lacks a big slugger losing 24 HR's is a big time blow.

Now Adams with 17 HR's in under 300 AB's may fill that void. That is why I pointed out that some one could emerge this year. I wouldn't expect Traveras to impact in his rook year. Never depend on a unknown factor when building a winner.

Team ERA last year:
Atl: 3.18
LAD: 3.25
Pitt: 3.26
Cin: 3.38
STL: 3.42

Not sure where you are getting that Pitt has a worse staff. Not according to those numbers.

Now I do not love either team but don't sell Pitt short. STL is not bulletproof.

patg006

Liked Posts:
Matt Holliday:.300/.389/.490 22 HR 94 RBI
Allen Craig .315/.373/.457 13 HR 97 RBI
Yadier Molina .319/.359/.477 12 HR 80 RBI
Matt Adams .284/.335/.503 17 HR 51 RBI (296 AB)
Matt Carpenter .318/.392/.3481 11 HR 78 RBI
Jhonny Peralta .303/.358/.457 11 HR 55 RBI

They lost Beltran 24 HR 84 RBI in 554 AB's.

The team lacks a big HR bat. They have gotten by with stacking .300 hitters Their team OBA is remarkable. But for a team that lacks a big slugger losing 24 HR's is a big time blow.

Now Adams with 17 HR's in under 300 AB's may fill that void. That is why I pointed out that some one could emerge this year. I wouldn't expect Traveras to impact in his rook year. Never depend on a unknown factor when building a winner.

Team ERA last year:
Atl: 3.18
LAD: 3.25
Pitt: 3.26
Cin: 3.38
STL: 3.42

Not sure where you are getting that Pitt has a worse staff. Not according to those numbers.

Now I do not love either team but don't sell Pitt short. STL is not bulletproof.

Never said they were bulletproof.

Their rotation is far different in 2014 than 2013. I believe its for the better. Kelly, Miller, Wacha, and Wainwright posted 3.06, 2.97, 2.94, and 2.69 ERAs in starts. Give me that, and Lance Lynn as the weak link at 3.9 ERA over Liriano who improved control after 5 years of sucking previous, Cole, Wandy Rodriguez, Charlie Morton, and JEff Locke.

Pittsburgh's rotation overachieved. St. Louis won't have a sketchy bullpen this year with strong arms coming back.

Beltran likely wont replicate that production in Yanhkee stadium (if he does, I'll call BS because of that right field wall), so you have Burjous, who will NOT fill the production.

But Oscar Tavares will get playing time. As a top prospect, he's got power and run driving in ability to fill Beltran's shoes.

On paper, Cardinals are going to be fine, no reason why they cant win 95 easily. Matt Holliday is still the anchor in that line up and a key run producer. He's protected by some good players. And more importantly, they don't rely on the long ball the way Pittsburgh did in 2013 to score their runs.

Last year the cards had the better batting average, more total bases, less home runs, more runs scored, less strike outs, and more hits in slightly more at bats.

Their team is loaded, and you think chemistry will be their downfall? Try half of that rotation getting Tommy John and the line up blowing out knees.

I don't like the red birds. But I'm not letting that get in the way of admitting they're the best team in this division. That doesn't mean I think Pittsburgh is a bad team. I can see them winning 88-92 with the WC and the cards 95-97 with the division.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
That is fine. My problem with Matt Holliday is he has been 2nd fiddle his whole time with STL. First to Pujos then instead of stepping up to team leader Beltran came in and took over the role.

Like I said I'm not sold on him. He has been a support player from day 1.

also:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article/pit...md=20140204&content_id=67431978&vkey=news_pit

Pitt still has more pitching up-welling. They are going to be a pain long term.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
wrong. from 2009 thru 2011 he did not have the power he has now. 09 1 Hr in 44 games. 2010 10 hrs in 131 games. 2011 11 hrs in 91 games than goes into the mlb and hits 30 bombs? please. he wasnt crushing it pre mlb. got onbase and had a high ba but the power wasnt there. its suspicious to see the power leap

You mean a guy got stronger as he went from late teens to adulthood?

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

chemistry is needed in a team sport like hockey,basketball etc. Tell the 70s As about chemistry...they all hated each other. having beards and pies in the face dont make the pitcher hang or not hang a curve, it does not get a player to hit more homeruns or learn to take pitches. you are wrong in 98.678% of your posts.