Pro Football Focus: Bears have had the NFL's worst off-season so far

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Did anyone expect the Bears to have a good offseason? I sure didn't. There was a small glimmer of hope that they somehow pulled off the impossible and acquired Wilson/Watson, but that was always a pipedream. At the end of the day, Pace put the Bears in this position with his cap management and inability to address the QB position.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
Did anyone expect the Bears to have a good offseason? I sure didn't. There was a small glimmer of hope that they somehow pulled off the impossible and acquired Wilson/Watson, but that was always a pipedream. At the end of the day, Pace put the Bears in this position with his cap management and inability to address the QB position.
I expected at least an effort. I had no delusions about the situation with the quarterback blockbusters, but their "runs" at Trent Williams and Kenny Golladay were truly pathetic. They didn't even try.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:

to me I wrote this year off the second George said the crew is coming back. To me what would have made this a good offseason is what pace doesn’t do. Redoing deals to kill our cap next year was garbage. If there will be a new gm next year that already hurts a possible rebuild. If he doesn’t trade any of our 2022 2023 picks I will call this a successful offseason

Liked Posts:
Worst? Idk about that, one of the worst, sure.

It's hard to give them the title of the worst when expectations where low to begin with. Even with how bad the decisions Pace has made are, we won't be that much worse on paper than last year.

To me the worst part of this offseason has nothing to do with player personnel - it's with this org deciding to keep Pace & Nagy. Everything else is just the cherry on top.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Nothing like off-season grades one week into the off-season.

The Bears roster is not in a state a flux. Front 7 in tact with Goldman likely returning. Trufant can be a stop gap so they need a nickel and a strong safety, two spots easy enough to fill in the second wave of free agency.

Offensively they need a Right Tackle and a QB to develop along with some Receiver depth. I'm not saying they have the best roster in football or anything but this is not a "roster in flux" in the slightest.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
We downgraded at QB

We downgraded at CB

We had to embarrassingly cut one of our homegrown pro-bowl players. We failed to extend Fuller and couldn't even get a 7th rd pick for him. It was obvious he wanted to go to the Broncos. Its frustrating we couldn't levy that to force another suitor to trade for him. We aren't even going to get a comp pick out of it.

We downgraded OLB from Mingo to Attachu

We can't get anyone to trade for any of our players.

We missed an opportunity to add a decent receiver in a down market.

Trubisky signed for pennies and we canceled out RRH by signing Dalton so it means we aren't in line for receiving any comp picks

We actually haven't filled one need yet, just made another one.. We still need a QB, WR, OT, a Safety, and now a CB.

Hawkeye OG

Formerly Hawkeye
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I expected at least an effort. I had no delusions about the situation with the quarterback blockbusters, but their "runs" at Trent Williams and Kenny Golladay were truly pathetic. They didn't even try.
I don't think they were ever really 'in' on Williams. Maybe I missed that situation, but seemed like Williams ruled out the Bears pretty early. They couldn't afford him anyways.

The Golladay situation was fine. Pace made an offer for what they could afford and tried to pitch him on it being a good deal to come in and earn a bigger payday next season. It's the best he could offer realistically, but at least he put his bobber in the pond. I didn't expect Pace to go after any big targets at WR tbh after franchising AR.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
I don't think they were ever really 'in' on Williams. Maybe I missed that situation, but seemed like Williams ruled out the Bears pretty early. They couldn't afford him anyways.

The Golladay situation was fine. Pace made an offer for what they could afford and tried to pitch him on it being a good deal to come in and earn a bigger payday next season. It's the best he could offer realistically, but at least he put his bobber in the pond. I didn't expect Pace to go after any big targets at WR tbh after franchising AR.
Well the issue here is that they are paying $25,000,000 in cap space this year for Andy Dalton and Allen Robinson II, so yeah in light of that decision its going to be impossible to do much.

mecha

Liked Posts:
shit nobody wants to talk about: does Allen Robinson's dad play in the league? I don't understand the emphasis on Sr./II/III in the league the last decade. their grandpas, dads, and kids aren't playing in the NFL too. Tom Brady is a Jr., he doesn't go by Tom Brady Jr. just saying.

Montucky

Liked Posts:
shit nobody wants to talk about: does Allen Robinson's dad play in the league? I don't understand the emphasis on Sr./II/III in the league the last decade. their grandpas, dads, and kids aren't playing in the NFL too. Tom Brady is a Jr., he doesn't go by Tom Brady Jr. just saying.
Its his name, I will do him the respect of using it. I too think its stupid though.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
We downgraded at QB

We downgraded at CB

We had to embarrassingly cut one of our homegrown pro-bowl players. We failed to extend Fuller and couldn't even get a 7th rd pick for him. It was obvious he wanted to go to the Broncos. Its frustrating we couldn't levy that to force another suitor to trade for him. We aren't even going to get a comp pick out of it.

We downgraded OLB from Mingo to Attachu

We can't get anyone to trade for any of our players.

We missed an opportunity to add a decent receiver in a down market.

Trubisky signed for pennies and we canceled out RRH by signing Dalton so it means we aren't in line for receiving any comp picks

We actually haven't filled one need yet, just made another one.. We still need a QB, WR, OT, a Safety, and now a CB.

False

Accurate

Not embarrassing. Unfortunate situation brought on by unpredictable massive cap reduction.

Debatable.

Teams rarely trade for players they know teams can't keep.

Did you see how much Golladay got?

I mean, okay.

They need a RT, SS and a nickel back. Not sure why you consider WR a need. Maybe I'm just higher on Mooney, but I think he's legit. They could use another couple guys but if they went into the season as is, they'd be fine.

mattb78

My threads are FTO !
Liked Posts:
Its an overreaction to Fuller getting cut. We really didn't see it coming and he was a well-liked player.

Its PFF for Christs sake. The Saints lose Brees (who by the way did put up a 100+ QBR last season) and the Bears lose a CB, yet the Bears had the worst offseason.

I would think losing a HOF QB probably takes the cake, but what do I know, I am not a professional.

JesusHalasChrist

N.eg it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.
Donator
Liked Posts:
Of course they had the worst offseason. They lost the reigning NVP!

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Do other Eagles fans hate you? I feel like you're a unicorn among Eagles fans since 99.999% of them are royal cunts and you are not.
Funny enough one of my closest friends is an Eagle fan and we argue a lot.

Right now he goes out of his way to bring up Howie Roseman just to get mad. I approach it logically and say 'he's far from perfect, but there's a lot of good there'. It reminds me of my republican friends bringing up Obama just so they can throw an Obama insult. Not trying to prove a point, just wanting to manufacture a way to insult someone who's not a part of what we are talking about.

Anyway, I typically get along with Eagle fans, but as a whole we are kinda dummies.

ijustposthere

Message Board Hero
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Purdue Boilermakers
I don't know what people are seeing Khalil Mack anymore. They guy has become basically above average, his impact in the run game is nice and all but the best edge players get to the quarterback and Khalil Mack doesn't really get to the quarterback anymore. I think a lot of people just don't want to admit the obvious.
Lol, he led the bears in sacks & ff, was second on the team in qb hits & tfl. Other than that, he sucked.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Fuller is the only one of those that hurt. Massie was injured and bad for two years straight. Line improved with him gone. Trubisky is a bum. So
We can call that addition by subtraction

what sucks about this off-season is all the contracts redone will affect 2022 and 2023. And pace hasn’t traded away future picks yet that would be icing on the cake of a bad offseason.

pace belongs in a gov position with how wasteful he is with other peoples money
I don't know if it is addition by subtraction, or barely treading water. You started with two holes, now you have three. And two of the three are arguably the two most important positions in the game.