Prospects Flying Under the Radar

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
OMG PROSPECTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:fap:
:cum:

There's fuckin' gold in them thar hills !!!!!!

Jesus Christ !!!! Did you just wake up ?

TL1961

Liked Posts:
OMG PROSPECTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:cum:

You'd rather sign the Gary Gaetti's?

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Ah, yeah. So we have a thread that was clearly about prospects. The Anti-Troll Patrol Patrol doesn't like talking about prospects, but here they are :fap:ing to them. Great thread.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Cliff Lee is a special case. His fastball was never a problem, in Cleveland he had to get sent down to AAA because his change up needed complete reconstruction. He redefined his change, and now is one of the dominant pitchers in baseball.

90-93 sure, but I would use Maddux as an example of non-fireball fastball. Lee's go to pitch is his change, and it is nasty.

I forgot about Dillon Maples......another high hopes pitcher. However, his 2 years off was fucking mysterious......

I want a top of the line guy from the system, and like I said, Johnson and Edwards are the two if I were a betting man. Cubs dont have it...

I'm not comparing Hendricks to the list in my prior post, I simply stated I want an ace like that, overpowering fastball as part of his arsenal.

Yeah I hear ya. I'm just saying that guys who aren't hard throwing guys can sometimes surprise. Simply put, guys who throw 97 or higher have more room for errors. You take a look at a guy like Randy Johnson's career path. Early on he had trouble with command but because he threw so hard he could get away with it. Later in his career he got better with his command and became one of the best pitchers of his generation. On the other hand, if you aren't a hard throwing type you have to have pretty insane command. And if you don't, you get destroyed. Guys like Maddux later in his career and Moyer have made it work but there's not a ton of room for error if their command fails them.

On the other hand, the guys who throw that hard are typically high round picks so the barrier to entry in getting them is generally much higher. So, in some regards they can be double edged sword.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Topic: Hendricks went to AAA and did not skip a beat. Time will tell with him though. Even if he dominates AAA that Doesn't mean he can make the next step. His lack of a mid 90's fastball makes his margine of error larger and if he makes a mistake it becomes easier for major league hitters to capitalize on them. Another Madux is a .01% chance in general. He has a 99% chance of being another Casey Coleman. Casey was an excellent AAA starter. Kept his ERA in the 3's. He was never able to take it to the majors because he lacked a power arm. A power arm means that you can get away with mistakes more often because there is a lower reaction time. Now no one has perfect control 100% of the time and that is why Jed has been trading for "power arms". There is a reason behind it. Madux was successful because he knew the league and the umps gave him the on the black and off of the black junk offerings all day. No raw rook is going to get that favoritism. So saying Hendricks has a 5% chance of becoming a ML starter is giving a lot.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
This is probably the dumbest thing ever said on here. Progression has slowed? Dude he hit .330 and had an OBP of .380. Outstanding fielder. He has a pretty damn good ceiling because there arent major flaws like Baez Olt and Alcantara strike out totals. And Baez bad fielding

Baez is at 28 HR's is his first full season and he jumped up his BA in AA from .200 to his A+ BA of .272 with in weeks. That is what star players can do. Almora is what I would project as a stabilizing player. Keeps CF D strong and can hit #2 due to his ability to hit .300. He Hasn't shown an ability to take walks at a high clip or game changing speed. He seems like a good every day player but by no means a impact bat on a team. Baez has some holes to his game but I wouldn't be surprised if he ends up pushing 600 HR's when he is done. He is the better talent.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
This to me is like comparing Puig to Soler. Soler seemed to have a good eye at the plate. Good D. Can hit for power etc. They shied away from Puig due to his living in the fast lane mentality. Puig has become a force in a short time and is a major factor in LA pulling an 180 this year with out Kemp in the line up. Soler AA and on the DL. He wasn't projected until 2015. Again I would rather have the impact bat vs he numbers guy.

patg006

Liked Posts:
Topic: Hendricks went to AAA and did not skip a beat. Time will tell with him though. Even if he dominates AAA that Doesn't mean he can make the next step. His lack of a mid 90's fastball makes his margine of error larger and if he makes a mistake it becomes easier for major league hitters to capitalize on them. Another Madux is a .01% chance in general. He has a 99% chance of being another Casey Coleman. Casey was an excellent AAA starter. Kept his ERA in the 3's. He was never able to take it to the majors because he lacked a power arm. A power arm means that you can get away with mistakes more often because there is a lower reaction time. Now no one has perfect control 100% of the time and that is why Jed has been trading for "power arms". There is a reason behind it. Madux was successful because he knew the league and the umps gave him the on the black and off of the black junk offerings all day. No raw rook is going to get that favoritism. So saying Hendricks has a 5% chance of becoming a ML starter is giving a lot.

^This

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
This is probably the dumbest thing ever said on here. Progression has slowed? Dude he hit .330 and had an OBP of .380. Outstanding fielder. He has a pretty damn good ceiling because there arent major flaws like Baez Olt and Alcantara strike out totals. And Baez bad fielding

Well, considering he started the season on the DL. Missed a couple of game in between and now is back on DL. How did his progression not slow? I didn't know you could progress against pitching and defense while sitting on your ass trying to recover. He has only played in 60 something games. So, if that is the dumbest thing ever posted. I think you just topped it. I hope you don't really write articles. You seem to not have logical thinking.

patg006

Liked Posts:
Ah, yeah. So we have a thread that was clearly about prospects. The Anti-Troll Patrol Patrol doesn't like talking about prospects, but here they are :fap:ing to them. Great thread.

You must be the other guy who infringes and turns every thread into shit with logical thinking, then.

--Wait...

Flacco4Prez

Liked Posts:
Next season is when we really find out about these guys. Now you're just reading about their potential which is exciting to read but doesn't mean a damn thing.

Next season we should see the call-ups of Olt, Baez, Bryant, Soler, Hendricks, and probably a few others as well. That's 3 of the "Big Four". This September I don't really think anyone of note gets the call up but maybe guys like Jackson and Vitters. I'd like to see Vitters get one last shot at 3B. Rather see him fail than Ransom.
t

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Next season is when we really find out about these guys. Now you're just reading about their potential which is exciting to read but doesn't mean a damn thing.

Next season we should see the call-ups of Olt, Baez, Bryant, Soler, Hendricks, and probably a few others as well. That's 3 of the "Big Four". This September I don't really think anyone of note gets the call up but maybe guys like Jackson and Vitters. I'd like to see Vitters get one last shot at 3B. Rather see him fail than Ransom.
t

None of them until least June and Baez and Soler maybe in September. Baez would have to destroy winter league and next year for the Cubs to start that clock early. Olt could break camp as our starter but he has to hit again first.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Olt could break camp as our starter but he has to hit again first.

i think your right about Olt...

i think Olt will try and work his way back in winter ball and then they will just start him at 3B next year and allow him to either sink or swim..

kris bryant will probably start the year in AA and depending on how he does the first month or so, he will get moved up to AAA and get ready to replace Olt if he sinks.

3B next year will be Olt , but will be turned over to bryant at some point if Olt cant hold it..

javier baez will definately be called up next year.. i can see him start the year in AAA, especially if he finishes strong this year..

have to keep an eye on what position he mostly plays in winter ball..

cubs could have an interesting choice to make at deadline next year, if olt, bryant, baez, and castro are all playing good ball..

jorge soler needs to keep himself on the playing field for a full season, depending on how he progresses next year we may see him get some ABs in Sept.
im not looking for Soler to be in the Cubs plans until 2015 the earliest.

I saw dan vogelbach play last night, he a big strong kid.. he hit a homer to RF that clear everything..
i was watching him in the dugout (sat 2 rows behind their dugout), he was the DH and was at the top step during the whole game watching everything..
he seems like he has leadership potential as he was constantly talking to players after they returned from their AB or the field..

be interesting to see what happens with him as it looks as if its either 1B or DH for him as a major league player, good thing is he only 20 so he has time on his side right now as far as being a future cub..

Rock shoulder is another big strong kid like vogelbach, but he has RF potential as he seems to be a bit more athletic ( showed good wheels on the bases )..
he hit some ropes last night too..

CSF77

Liked Posts:
3B:
Olt 2nd depth Bryant. If Bryant needs more time Villanueva would be a good stop gap.

Long term I see Bryant here. Olt has too much swing and miss going on. Villanueva lacks a impact bat. Bryant is an impact bat.

SS I see Baez going to AAA next year and Castro traded out. Having a 30 HR SS will be too tempting to not cash in on Castro.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I see Baez playing third and Bryant playing right or left. I think olt is the stop gap to try to raise his value for trade

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
I see Baez playing third and Bryant playing right or left. I think olt is the stop gap to try to raise his value for trade

They have a lot of options. Alcantra can move to 2B. Castro could move to second. So, really LF, 3B, SS and 2B are pretty well covered for prospects.