Puig and Soler!

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
So with Puig coming up with almost no minor league experience and basically dominating so far. I know its only around 30 at bats, but the guy is oozing with talent. My question is why didnt the Cubs go after him hard? I know they got Soler, but an expert was asked which one they would rather have and he said the Cubs should have signed both.

Also, I think this may make Cubs fans want to see Soler sooner than expected. I dont want him rushed, but I also dont want them to baby the hell out of him. I read that experts think he should be in AA. He is not learning anything new in high A.

patg006

Liked Posts:
So with Puig coming up with almost no minor league experience and basically dominating so far. I know its only around 30 at bats, but the guy is oozing with talent. My question is why didnt the Cubs go after him hard? I know they got Soler, but an expert was asked which one they would rather have and he said the Cubs should have signed both.

Also, I think this may make Cubs fans want to see Soler sooner than expected. I dont want him rushed, but I also dont want them to baby the hell out of him. I read that experts think he should be in AA. He is not learning anything new in high A.

I believe the cubs finished 2nd in the Puig race. I really wanted him. After reading between him and Soler, because he signed after Jorge--I preferred Puig.

If Soler is dominating, move him up. Dont wait. Sooner or later were going to see if he can sink or swim.

He's been an upstart for the Dodgers, hopefully he can continue; he's electrifying to watch

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
I knew this thread was going to be made within a few days. Anyways, we went after him, but the Dodgers bid was higher, I believe it was a blind bid, so you have no idea what the other team offered.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Teams have clues on who bids what. They may not know exactly but they know the ball park. I just hope we didnt sign him because of the 6 million to Concepion. That would be a kick in the nuts.

daddies3angels

Is it next year yet?
Donator
Liked Posts:
So wait another player the Cubs finished 2nd in bidding?? This is happening on purpose! They want to please the DUMB Cub fans by saying they were trying for guys but really they finished 2nd on all these guys for a reason. Cause Ownership is cheap and only cares about getting the renovation done so he can bring in more revenue to put in his pockets

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
Teams have clues on who bids what. They may not know exactly but they know the ball park. I just hope we didnt sign him because of the 6 million to Concepion. That would be a kick in the nuts.

"ballpark"

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
So wait another player the Cubs finished 2nd in bidding?? This is happening on purpose! They want to please the DUMB Cub fans by saying they were trying for guys but really they finished 2nd on all these guys for a reason. Cause Ownership is cheap and only cares about getting the renovation done so he can bring in more revenue to put in his pockets

:thinking::thinking::thinking::obama::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::facepalm::turrible:

Willrust

Liked Posts:

The bids are blind. Sure, guys between organizations may talk, but there is no way to know for sure what another team is bidding. If they did know for certain, agents would lose their shit and start filing collusion lawsuits.

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
The bids are blind. Sure, guys between organizations may talk, but there is no way to know for sure what another team is bidding. If they did know for certain, agents would lose their shit and start filing collusion lawsuits.

I think thats why I said ballpark. But, I am also sure the Cubs had a cap to it which is why it would suck if that 6 million could have went to the winning bid.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Beating the July 2 date when new limitations for signing international players would take effect, the Dodgers gave Puig a seven-year, $42 million contract on Friday. As our international baseball maven Ben Badler reported, that deal left officials from several other teams in shock.

The Dodgers call the Cuban defector a five-tool outfielder and compare him to Sammy Sosa. Other teams praise his bat speed and raw power but worry about his hitting approach, defensive instincts and conditioning. He didn't play in Cuba's top league, the Serie Nacional, last season. His inactivity may have been punishment for his desire to defect, or for his arrest on shoplifting charges at a tournament in the Netherlands in June 2011.

I asked Ben where Puig would have fit on our International Top 20 Prospects list, and he said he would have ranked Puig at No. 11. Ben added that it's difficult to compare a 21-year-old to 15- and 16-year-old players. As for the draft, Ben says based on his talks with other teams, the consensus would have put Puig in the third round."

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/ask -ba/2012/2613637.html

Puig wasnt exactly rated that high at time of bid by alot of baseball people, some people were surprised by the amount the dodgers gave..

i cant find anything to confirm it now but i believe the cubs offer was close to solers 9 ys 30 mil

SilenceS

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Puig wasnt exactly rated that high at time of bid by alot of baseball people, some people were surprised by the amount the dodgers gave..

i cant find anything to confirm it now but i believe the cubs offer was close to solers 9 ys 30 mil

They had Soler ceiling higher than Puig, but Puig was more major league ready. He also was thought to have a ton of power. Not Stanton or Harper power, but a notch below. Im not beaten anybody up for not signing him. I am just saying he would have been a great addition.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I am just saying he would have been a great addition.

i understand.. i was just stating what people thought about puig at the time..

im hoping soler can excell from here til the end of the season and be a part of the cubs by this time next year..

here a comparison betwwen puig and soler minor league stats

puig.. 2012 rookie ball and A+ 95AB .354 .442OBP 1.076 OPS 5 HR 15 RBI 8 SB 12 BB 15 K
2013 AA 147 AB .313 .383 OBP .982 OPS 8 HR 37 RBI 13 SB 15 BB 29 K

soler.. 2012 rookie and A 134 AB .299 AVg .369 OBP .832 OPS 5HR 25 RBI 12 SB 12 BB 19 K
2013 A+ 194 AB .278 .345 OBP .820 OPS 8 HR 34 RBI 5 SB 21 BB 32 K

Soler is a year younger, but as we see he is /was a bit behind puig , hopefully he gets a push into AA soon to finish year out there and start in AA next year and like i said maybe we will see him up by this time next yr,

mountsalami

Liked Posts:
Bottom line is out of the four "Great Cubans" available......

It is just par for the course that Boy Blunder got the two that have provided nothing at the ML level.

One apparently is gone missing and no one can find him.

Cheers to our great scouting and development team !!!!!!!

:beer:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
CHICAGO -- Yasiel Puig has sparked the Dodgers in his first week in the big leagues, batting .464 with four home runs in seven games. The Cuban outfielder totaled 229 Minor League at-bats before he was promoted. That quick leap to the big leagues doesn't happen often, and Cubs manager Dale Sveum said he didn't expect any of the Cubs' recent Draft picks or top prospects to make that kind of jump.

No. 1 prospect Javier Baez, Albert Almora (No. 2) and Jorge Soler (No. 3) are all playing in Class A ball, and Baez and Soler are with High Class A Daytona.

"I don't see any of them [making their debuts this year]," Sveum said Monday. "That's not what we're trying to do. They're here to develop and stay at their level and produce. We're still not getting huge production, so they have to develop before they get here. You just don't call people up because they're supposed to be prospects. There's still a way they have to produce and put numbers up and be consistent."

After Kris Bryant was selected No. 2 overall in the first round by the Cubs in the First-Year Player Draft, the third baseman said he was ready now for the big leagues. Sveum said Puig, 22, has an edge because of the top caliber of players in Cuba.

The Cubs hope that someday their top prospects can provide the same kind of impact Puig has.

"Those are the guys we're counting on and who the organization needs to come through when you do call them up," Sveum said. "Those are our best prospects, whether it's Baez or Soler or Almora. We're still talking about a couple years away. We're not talking about next year or any time this year. Those are the guys you have to have hit, otherwise, you're back to the drawing board."

Sveum has watched video of Soler, 21, who was batting .278 for Daytona with eight home runs, 12 doubles and 34 RBIs.

"The good thing I like about Soler is he's having quality at-bats for a guy who obviously is pretty young baseball-wise," Sveum said. "He's having a lot of quality at-bats and seeing pitches. Like I said in Spring Training, the poise he has on the field, for a guy who hasn't been out there much, is far and above what you expect at 20 years old. He's still learning."

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Sounds like 2015 at earliest for Soler.

KBisBack!

Liked Posts:
I knew this thread was going to be made within a few days. Anyways, we went after him, but the Dodgers bid was higher

Yeah it was higher because they acted like a big boy club serious about trying to win and submitted a bid they KNEW would win.

The Cubs acted like a bunch of pansies and submitted a bid they HOPED would win but could at least BS the fans with regarding how 'hard' they tried because they know there are enough dumb Cub fans who will buy that.

The Bandit

vick27m
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah it was higher because they acted like a big boy club serious about trying to win and submitted a bid they KNEW would win.

The Cubs acted like a bunch of pansies and submitted a bid they HOPED would win but could at least BS the fans with regarding how 'hard' they tried because they know there are enough dumb Cub fans who will buy that.

Didn't know coming in second for bidding on a player who at the time was overpaid was a terrible thing. On a blind bid none the less.

sent from my beaver dam using tapatalk 2

Last edited:

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Predicting Soler's rooke year in 2016. When in doubt follow the money. He can break the contract in his Arb 1 year. That would be 2019 if they do it this way. If they make 2015 his first year which I doubt after watching how they handled Rizzo's timmer. Which was stupid after they went and inked him to a deal anyways. But this is Soler's contract: 12:$1M, 13:$1M, 14:$2M, 15:$2M, 16:$3M, 17:$3M, 18:$4M, 19:$4M, 20:$4M. Last 2-3 years would be Arb years and the point he could get out of it. Not sure if super2 status would count or not to be honest.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
They low balled both Cespedes and Pulg. Soler took the least because he was the youngest and furthest away. This is just a common theme going on with the Ricketts. Frugal.