QB Depth chart

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
I repeat: Bears just spent $18 million on Mike Glennon, bring in a vet backup in Sanchez who has been to multiple league title games, and spend the #3 pick in the draft on the QB of the future and this board right now is worried about what role the 3rd string QB from last preseason (who missed the year with a broken leg) has on the team?!

This can't be real.

It just can't be.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Highly doubtful. The purpose of Sanchez was two fold:

1. To have a reliable vet backup if Glennon goes down and Trubisky isn't ready yet(early in the season)

2. Vet "mentor" for Trubisky.

Unless Sanchez goes full on Jonathan Quinn in the preseason he will be on the active roster well into the season.

Need any more indication Shaw is a complete non-factor?

During Pace's press conference he mentioned how much he loved the QB room he had built and mentioned everyone but Connor Shaw.

That's fine. And if they keep him to mentor, maybe a guy like McManis is cut.

As far as Shaw, don't teams typically have a QB on the practice squad? If not him, then some other random QB?

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Shaw doesn't have any purpose, even on the PR as he will get NO reps.

Glennon will get 90% of the 1st team reps
Trubisky will get 10% of the 1st team reps
Trubisky will get all of the scout team reps.

Sanchez will stand around and be a glorified coach with a helmet.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
That's fine. And if they keep him to mentor, maybe a guy like McManis is cut.

As far as Shaw, don't teams typically have a QB on the practice squad? If not him, then some other random QB?

Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
When Alshon Jeffery's final season (drop in production) at South Carolina was being picked apart one of the reasons discussed was poor Quarterback play. Guess who?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
Shaw doesn't have any purpose, even on the PR as he will get NO reps.

Glennon will get 90% of the 1st team reps
Trubisky will get 10% of the 1st team reps
Trubisky will get all of the scout team reps.

Sanchez will stand around and be a glorified coach with a helmet.

I think Sanchez will probably get scout team reps.....I don't think they would want to introduce foreign play concepts to Trubisky other than the Bears playbook.

ZOMBIE@CTESPN

Liked Posts:
I remember when Seattle paid big money to Flynn and he was outplayed by both Tarvaris Jackson and Russel Wilson. So we never know what happens. But I would put my money on Glennon starting with Sanchez backup and Trubiskly getting the Goff treatment this year

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
I didn't even realize that people didn't already know that it will be Glennon, Sanchez, Trubs next year. We're paying Glennon good money to start for us next year and Sanchez will be the #2 not Trubs. It would be nice to get Shaw on the PS but i wouldn't doubt if a team snatches him up if we did.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
I didn't even realize that people didn't already know that it will be Glennon, Sanchez, Trubs next year. We're paying Glennon good money to start for us next year and Sanchez will be the #2 not Trubs. It would be nice to get Shaw on the PS but i wouldn't doubt if a team snatches him up if we did.

Since 2006, Every QB taken top 5 has started at least 7 games their rookie year except for Jamarcus Russell, who held out into the season, and was Jamarcus Russell. Goff is the only one to start less then 10. The vast majority started 12-16 games as rookies.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
I repeat: Bears just spent $18 million on Mike Glennon, bring in a vet backup in Sanchez who has been to multiple league title games, and spend the #3 pick in the draft on the QB of the future and this board right now is worried about what role the 3rd string QB from last preseason (who missed the year with a broken leg) has on the team?!

This can't be real.

It just can't be.

Bears fans never miss an opportunity to show off why we're the lowest IQ in sports when it comes to the QB position.

Washington

Liked Posts:
Nobody, not one person, is worried about Shaw's role on the team. This is just discussion like the 8 million pre-draft "take a QB @3 or not" threads.

People are down-playing the 3rd QB role and are forgetting that the Bears play 3 QBs per year more years than not. You can bank on the Bears QB(s) getting injured. There is a very good chance the 3rd QB will play this year. Anyone remember Barkley from last year? Brutal huh? He was the 4th QB.

When Pace signed Sanchez, 99.99% of the people on this board said WTF and laughed. Admit it - you all were there. Those same people want him in the #2 QB role now and prefer he makes the team outright versus even seeing what another young QB has to offer as if there is something to lose in doing that. You all know Sanchez sucks. Why bother with him? Now someone will tell me he's the QB Whisperer and that Prescott played well because of him.

This was my take this offseason and I said it often. I was not interested in seeing any of last year's QBs save for Shaw. I wanted a QB @ #3, in particular Mitchell. This is all playing out. I was one of the ones who shook my head at Sanchez and still do.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
When Pace signed Sanchez, 99.99% of the people on this board said WTF and laughed. Admit it - you all were there.

I'm still there...

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Nobody, not one person, is worried about Shaw's role on the team
Did you not read the first post?

Have you not read this thread?

You all know Sanchez sucks. Why bother with him?
Because Sanchez carries a lot of value off the field too. In the meeting rooms etc.

This has been addressed at least three to four times now.

You ignoring the reason doesn't mean it doesn't exist/isn't valid.

The Bears were going to carry a turd of a vet this year regardless. Might as well carry one that just helped a rookie QB last year quite a bit

You didn't and still don't like the Sanchez signing. Great. Congrats.

You want to see more of Shaw. Cool.

Good talk.

Mongo_76

Liked Posts:
I don't see much value in Sanchez.

I also don't see much value in Shaw.

Now, if we had Hoyer....

lbvBoA4.gif

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
I again refer you to why Sanchez was brought in. He wasn't brought in to truly play. Sanchez has entered the "mentor" part of his career.

Shaw is and will continue to be a non-factor. He offers nothing and is irrelevant.
Agree 100% with Shaw. I don't think Sanchez is a bad choice for backup with the low price tag.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Not sure what all the fuss is above. The Bears will carry 4 QBs to camp. Shaw will have to impress the fuck outta the Bears IMO for him to overcome the value Sanchez would have as a teacher. So sure, it's possible Shaw plays Kirk Cousins to Trubisky's RG3 but I certainly would not bet on it.

Washington

Liked Posts:
Did you not read the first post?

I read it. How about you?

Have you not read this thread?

No, what is it about? Is it a thread where only your opinion matters by chance?

Because Sanchez carries a lot of value off the field too. In the meeting rooms etc.

Then hire him as a coach because he sucks as an NFL QB.

You ignoring the reason doesn't mean it doesn't exist/isn't valid.

You saying that doesn’t make it valid.

The Bears were going to carry a turd of a vet this year regardless. Might as well carry one that just helped a rookie QB last year quite a bit

Gullible much? Yeah, why even let it play out in hopes the young guy might actually be better than the old guy. That would be silly.

You didn't and still don't like the Sanchez signing. Great. Congrats.

Thanks man! Much appreciated!

Good talk

Yeah, as always. Welcome back BTW. When can we expect your better half Rory back?