Question

menacemanic

Liked Posts:
My question is what's different between fields being drafted as compared to when Rex ,and Cade M being drafted ...wasnt the fan base exicted for them as compared to fields???? What about the draft experts what did they think??

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
Same shit. Nobody knows how the fuck each player will turn out. New football news and draftees. Everyone is fucking excited and has hope. Hope doesn’t mean it’s going to pan out 100%. That’s all it is. With that said, I support and cheer any player that is in Bears uniform and gives it their best. Their best may not be good enough but that’s all they can give and they were picked by others to be on the Bears. You can’t fault them. Unless you actually see them playing sloppy on purpose.

menacemanic

Liked Posts:
Same shit. Nobody knows how the fuck each player will turn out. New football news and draftees. Everyone is fucking excited and has hope. Hope doesn’t mean it’s going to pan out 100%. That’s all it is. With that said, I support and cheer any player that is in Bears uniform and gives it their best. Their best may not be good enough but that’s all they can give and they were picked by others to be on the Bears. You can’t fault them. Unless you actually see them playing sloppy on purpose.

Thanks I havent been a bears fan for a long time...I started to watch them around 2001..I am a Bulls/whitesox fan first

Liked Posts:
My question is what's different between fields being drafted as compared to when Rex ,and Cade M being drafted ...wasnt the fan base exicted for them as compared to fields???? What about the draft experts what did they think??
What’s the point of even asking this question? So because the fan base was excited we should expect the same result?

MDB111™

O Doyle Rules
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Maryland Terrapins

There were no trades involved. Cade was a 9 if i recall and Rex was like 29.
Rex flashed so many times before injuries and stuff that fans were like "if the guy can just stay healthy, we got something"
Cade sucked from day one, was a prick and never showed anything. He got laid a bunch at the playboy mansion and that's about it.
I don't remember thinking "franchise" with either.
Anyone else?

menacemanic

Liked Posts:
It’s a dumb question. They are all literally different players/people at different points in time drafted by different FOs/coaching staffs.

Whats the difference? Literally everything.

How is it a dumb question??? I was just wondering whats it makes it different from Rex and Cade???

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Rex was 22. they traded down ( ? from 4 I think and selected Michael fucking Haynes at 14)

run and shoot

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini

I was never big on either of those picks. We should've taken Culpepper, when we took Cade M

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Rex looked like a former boss, I never liked him. I don't remember Cade, I was watching from news highlights at the time. It was actually Orton that pulled me back.

The main reason I'm excited now is the Bears have made an attempt to protect the QB from day one. If they did the same typical Bears I would be figuring nothing changes.

Varking

Enigma
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Toronto FC
  1. Minnesota Timberwolves
  1. Carolina Panthers
  1. Colorado Avalanche
  1. Florida Gators
The difference is that Fields has been on the map since before his senior year of high school. He dominated his senior year and was the second best QB going into college and did nothing to hurt his stock. He remained the 1B to Lawrence’s 1A.

The difference between the QBs is that Fields is stronger, faster, more athletic and has a better, more accurate arm than any QB the Bears have ever drafted. I believe if we didn’t have a Covid College season this year he would have been the second pick in the draft. The Bears were lucky this was a wonky year.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
Nobody was that excited for Rex. When your team takes its "franchise QB" with its SECOND first rounder, you know you're not getting Marino or Montana. (Bad examples, maybe, since they both got drafted lower than #22)

It was more like "Hey, remember Steve Walsh? We just drafted him again."

Cade McNown was pretty well rated, but I never saw him put up numbers like Fields or make throws like Fields, and he was certainly nowhere near as athletic and smart. Unfortunately, McNown was a fucking douche bag and showed it Day 1 at camp.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
There were no trades involved. Cade was a 9 if i recall and Rex was like 29.
Rex flashed so many times before injuries and stuff that fans were like "if the guy can just stay healthy, we got something"
Cade sucked from day one, was a prick and never showed anything. He got laid a bunch at the playboy mansion and that's about it.
I don't remember thinking "franchise" with either.
Anyone else?
"Rex is our quarterback, and we'll go from there."

When the coach has to repeatedly confirm who the starter is, you don't have a franchise QB.

Geezer

Liked Posts:
Rex Grossman was also very highly rated by Ron Wolf the Packers GM who very cleverly "took Bret Favre off Atlanta's hands" after they had drafted him in the 2nd round the year before. He was also instrumental in drafting Rodgers after Favre moved on. He recognized Bret's "leadership qualities" in some pre-season games of other college players (East-West game?) and "rooked" Atlanta of Favre when the opportunity presented itself. He rated Rex as a better prospect coming out of college than either of them, believe it or not. Ron Wolf by those two previous moves had established his credentials as a talent evaluator of QBs.

Rex did look good for a while in his rookie season but a few injuries that year apparently made him "gun-shy" or something and he never lived up to his promise. It may also have been the quality of the QB coaching he received as a Bear. That was during the reign of HC Lovey Smith who wasn't noted for his offensive smarts.

TL1961 was also right on the money in rating "McClown" as a "douche bag" and "prick" with a sense of entitlement. While at UCLA, he was caught parking his car in campus Handicapped Parking spaces along with other teammates and was rightly castigated along with them. He was also observed a few times in his rookie year of getting on his players' cases on the sidelines when plays didn't pan out, a no-no for a rookie QB making plenty of mistakes of his own.

Last edited: