Question

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Rex Grossman was also very highly rated by Ron Wolf the Packers GM who very cleverly "took Bret Favre off Atlanta's hands" after they had drafted him in the 2nd round the year before. He was also instrumental in drafting Rodgers after Favre moved on. He recognized Bret's "leadership qualities" in some pre-season games of other college players (East-West game?) and "rooked" Atlanta of Favre when the opportunity presented itself. He rated Rex as a better prospect coming out of college than either of them, believe it or not. Ron Wolf by those two previous moves had established his credentials as a talent evaluator of QBs.

Rex did look good for a while in his rookie season but a few injuries that year apparently made him "gun-shy" or something and he never lived up to his promise. It may also have been the quality of the QB coaching he received as a Bear. That was during the reign of HC Lovey Smith who wasn't noted for his offensive smarts.

TL1961 was also right on the money in rating "McClown" as a "douche bag" and "prick" with a sense of entitlement. While at UCLA, he was caught parking his car in campus Handicapped Parking spaces along with other teammates and was rightly castigated along with them. He was also observed a few times in his rookie year of getting on his players' cases on the sidelines when plays didn't pan out, a no-no for a rookie QB making plenty of mistakes of his own.

Favre moved on because Rodgers was drafted. I think it was 2 years after.

Geezer

Liked Posts:
Favre moved on because Rodgers was drafted. I think it was 2 years after.
But Favre was not originally drafted by Green Bay coming out of college. He was drafted by Atlanta where he was a second-string QB. But Ron Wolf, Green Bay's GM had noticed his "leadership" qualities in a college East-West (?) game and a year later, very cleverly finagled a trade with Atlanta that sent Favre to Green Bay. A dozen or so years later, Favre did indeed move on AFTER Rodgers was drafted. But Favre WAS NOT ORIGINALLY DRAFTED BY the Packers!!

I think Atlanta probably suffered a much milder form of MJRS, "Michael Jordan Regret Syndrome", over Favre like the Portland Trailblazers did when they drafted Sam Bowie instead of Michael.

jive

Liked Posts:
Fields was ranked the #2 QB by many experts in a relatively deep QB draft.
Neither McNown or Grossman were ever ranked that high. Neither had the athletic ability of Fields, not even close.
When the Bears drafted McNown, they traded down from 7 to 12 for a 3rd,4th, 5th and 3rd for the following year. Missed out on Champ Bailey, Daunte Culpepper, and Chris McAllister for the dud of McNown and some scrub draft picks. The coaching staff wanted Culpepper.
In 2003, the Bears had chances to get the 2 top QBs in Byron Leftwich and Kyle Boller, but instead traded down twice and got Grossman. Granted Leftwich was average, and Boller bombed, but many Bears fans weren't happy about Grossman. In retrospect, that was a crappy QB draft. Missed out on Polumalu and Suggs. I believe the coaches were high on Suggs. Definitely better than Michael Haynes.

Last edited:

mecha

Liked Posts:
But Favre was not originally drafted by Green Bay coming out of college. He was drafted by Atlanta where he was a second-string QB. But Ron Wolf, Green Bay's GM had noticed his "leadership" qualities in a college East-West (?) game and a year later, very cleverly finagled a trade with Atlanta that sent Favre to Green Bay. A dozen or so years later, Favre did indeed move on AFTER Rodgers was drafted. But Favre WAS NOT ORIGINALLY DRAFTED BY the Packers!!

I think Atlanta probably suffered a much milder form of MJRS, "Michael Jordan Regret Syndrome", over Favre like the Portland Trailblazers did when they drafted Sam Bowie instead of Michael.
Glanville thought Favre was a worthless gimmick quarterback that could just throw the ball very high into the stands, and he never wanted to play him and when he got playing time he didn't achieve much outside of half his passes in the NFL being interceptions. so it made sense that they would take anything to dump him.

McNown, I went to a preseason game in 1999 and they had his face on the tickets. so I think it's safe to say he was viewed as being a potential savior to the Bears based on his draft status. he wound up being a complete cocksucker though and throughout 2000 there were campaigns for the team to tell him to fuck off. he didn't do anything else after.

Grossman, he had fumbles for 40 yard losses to his credit when he was drafted. he had one month of success in September 2006 when the league didn't have tape on him yet. I went to several preseason games because my grandparents had season tickets and they didn't want to go when it was cold out, but I was at the Cardinals game 3 and Grossman was completely ineffective. Dennis Green did have the Bears offense figured out. with as strong of run game as they had with Jones and Benson, they were a pass first offense, and Grossman's only success was lobbing balls deep to Berrian. any short or intermediate pass he threw was easily intercepted. he sucked.

Trubisky, for all his faults, was leagues better than both of those guys. and they weren't too football smart either. the Chicago Bears are legendary for failing in this area. but I hope they have it together this time.

The_Shadow

Simply a Bears fan
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

Atlanta's GM at the time, knew he had to get Brett out of town, because he was a raging drunk and party boy. Green Bay seemed the only landing spot, because how much trouble could he get into in Green Bay?

The_Shadow

Simply a Bears fan
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
Rex Grossman was the NFL Player of the Month, before getting crushed behind that line made him gun shy.

McCown did not want to be in Chicago. He just stole their money.

Alterego

Master Debater
Donator
Liked Posts:
I may be the outlier here but I loved the "Fuck it I'm going deep" mentality

playthrough2001

Monday Morning QB
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Central Florida Knights
  2. TCU Horned Frogs
I don’t remember smart fans being excited about McNown. He was considered a third round talent that Hatley over drafted because of his “swagger.” The Bears OC at the time pounded the table for Daunte Culpepper but was ignored.

McNown had limited arm strength and was a terrible teammate. Me first loser... Worst 1st round draft pick ever for the Bears...

Discus fish salesman

Liked Posts:
Rex Grossman was the NFL Player of the Month, before getting crushed behind that line made him gun shy.

McCown did not want to be in Chicago. He just stole their money.
I don't remember a time when Rex was gun shy. He was always launching downfield.

The biggest difference between fields and both mitch and Rex is that those guys didn't have accuracy to all areas of the field. In watching fields he has consistently made throws at all levels of the field that mitch and Rex missed. As far as McCown, I don't really remember him.

Butkus34

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Cade was an ass clown from the get go, no excitement generated. Rex had some production and was the 2nd of two Bears picks in the first round. Getting a young QB that showed some potential was fun and generated a little buzz. Rex had two major injuries early in his career and that sucked. Now on to Fields, his college tape is so far beyond what Rex and Cade did that you can't help but be excited. He shines brightest in the toughest moments and in the biggest situations. Before draft night the Bears did everything they could to take any hope and excitement away from their fan base and gave all of it back with the Fields pick. Enjoy the excitement and hope and here is to it only getting better!!!

TL1961

Liked Posts:
I don't remember a time when Rex was gun shy. He was always launching downfield.

The biggest difference between fields and both mitch and Rex is that those guys didn't have accuracy to all areas of the field. In watching fields he has consistently made throws at all levels of the field that mitch and Rex missed. As far as McCown, I don't really remember him.
After Rex got injured, he would no longer stand in the pocket when he needed to. Not ‘gun shy’ in terms of throwing, but in terms of running from pressure.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Cade was an ass clown from the get go, no excitement generated. Rex had some production and was the 2nd of two Bears picks in the first round. Getting a young QB that showed some potential was fun and generated a little buzz. Rex had two major injuries early in his career and that sucked. Now on to Fields, his college tape is so far beyond what Rex and Cade did that you can't help but be excited. He shines brightest in the toughest moments and in the biggest situations. Before draft night the Bears did everything they could to take any hope and excitement away from their fan base and gave all of it back with the Fields pick. Enjoy the excitement and hope and here is to it only getting better!!!

Since this is the team he played on compare to Trubisky. Fields is as mobile, throws better, sees better. And that is comparing Fields' college film to Trubisky seasoned on the Bears.
Time will tell whether or not he's great but he should be able to plug right in and improve the team into a constant threat.

tgmxd

Liked Posts:
It's simple.

Fields is the best QB prospect the Bears have ever gotten their hands on.

pseudonym

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't remember either Rex or Cade being elite prospects OR the forum here being excited about them, though I could be wrong. Fields is the highest-rated QB that I've seen the Bears take. I did NOT like the Trubisky pick. I don't think I liked the Cade pick, can't remember on Rex.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
Rex got derailed by injuries. Had he not, I think he would have been a solid QB you could win games with; definitely not an elite level player with elite tools.

Fields is the best prospect we've ever drafted with a bag full of elite tools. Trubisky was obviously drafted higher and the scouts convinced themselves of their own greatness by nitpicking Watson down to 12, which is basically what happened here with Fields. He could still bust but there's legit reason to be excited.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
What’s the point of even asking this question? So because the fan base was excited we should expect the same result?

He needs to know how the hive mind reacts so he can program himself accordingly. ?

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Rex got derailed by injuries. Had he not, I think he would have been a solid QB you could win games with; definitely not an elite level player with elite tools.

Fields is the best prospect we've ever drafted with a bag full of elite tools. Trubisky was obviously drafted higher and the scouts convinced themselves of their own greatness by nitpicking Watson down to 12, which is basically what happened here with Fields. He could still bust but there's legit reason to be excited.

Stupid take. He failed elsewhere.

Seeing Fields will hopefully educate Bears fans on what a real prospect looks like....

The_Shadow

Simply a Bears fan
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears

Rex would start with his first read and then would feel the rush and turn and run the other way. I call that gun shy. The F**ck it I'm Going Deep was actually during his Air Player of the Week/Month run.