Random cubs/baseball talks

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Baez is their backup SS. Trade Russell, and Baez goes to SS permanently, while Happ and Zobrist share time at 2B. La Stella then covers your days at SS when you want to give Baez a rest, just as he covers the other infield spots for the same reason.

I think the Cubs are stronger with Russell than without, but it's not like they would have to pull up someone from AA just to have a warm body out there to play the position...

LaStella is not a short stop. Show me a ‘game’ that he has been.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I don't think they'd need a top starter with a healthy bullpen, but they would need a starter to start a game 4. I'd be OK with Lester, Q, an improved Hendricks and pitcher X. JA Happ is a thought. Still it would be much better if Darvish comes back.

I really don’t agree.

Let’s be real for a second.

Lester has been outstanding. He is a top 3 NL starter right now.

Montgomery has been outstanding. He has been our version of Rich Hill.

Q is a decent 4.

That is where they stand right now. If Hendricks gets back to last year form they really need nothing. Chatwood or a recovered Yu suffices.

Now if Yu goes down and Hendrick plain lost it then yea they are forced. But they need a right handed starter vs another lefty. So no on Happ

That is why I’m looking at this game. Hendricks blowing another game and Fulmer shutting down the Cubs creates drama.

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Let's say hypothetically the cards would eat $25 mil of Dexter Fowler's remaining deal for a PTBNL. Would you make that trade? Fowler's got 3.5 years left on his deal and assuming they ate $25 mil he'd basically be making like $8 mil a year plus whatever is left this year for age 33-35. My thinking here is I'd strongly consider it. The problem being atm that you really don't have anywhere for him to play. With that being said, if you were to move happ in a bigger trade I think he's a fairly interesting 4th OF assuming Almora is still the starter.

The way things sound out of STL, the front office doesn't seem too fond of him right now. Wouldn't shock me to see him DFA'd either.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Let's say hypothetically the cards would eat $25 mil of Dexter Fowler's remaining deal for a PTBNL. Would you make that trade? Fowler's got 3.5 years left on his deal and assuming they ate $25 mil he'd basically be making like $8 mil a year plus whatever is left this year for age 33-35. My thinking here is I'd strongly consider it. The problem being atm that you really don't have anywhere for him to play. With that being said, if you were to move happ in a bigger trade I think he's a fairly interesting 4th OF assuming Almora is still the starter.

The way things sound out of STL, the front office doesn't seem too fond of him right now. Wouldn't shock me to see him DFA'd either.
Fowler is washed up. Almora/Happ is bettter and more versatile that Almora/Fowler

chibears55

Liked Posts:

I doubt the Cardinals would do that deal for the cubs..
But
If he released i could see the cubs grabbing him if they have a solid trade option for Happ..
I just hope that Maddon dont go to Fowler every day and forget Almora, which i could see him doing

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
But
If he released i could see the cubs grabbing him if they have a solid trade option for Happ..
I just hope that Maddon dont go to Fowler every day and forget Almora, which i could see him doing

If they're trading happ in this scenario then you're just replacing his role with that of Fowler. In other words, Almora wouldn't really gain or lose time IMO and rather than having Zobrist in RF you might see his playing time more only at 2B.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
If they're trading happ in this scenario then you're just replacing his role with that of Fowler. In other words, Almora wouldn't really gain or lose time IMO and rather than having Zobrist in RF you might see his playing time more only at 2B.
That our hope/plan

Just saying we never know with Maddon and he would just play Fowler in CF most everyday

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Brewers still rolling

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
But

I made a comment yesterday when I read how Joe supports Fowler and I wrote, Joe would still be playing him every day if he was batting .174. He already stunted the growth of almora and as far as I am concerned, the you go we go has transferred to the power of three with the enthusiasm and fearlessness of Almora, Baez and Contrares. The ABC's to firing up the team to victory for the cubs.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I made a comment yesterday when I read how Joe supports Fowler and I wrote, Joe would still be playing him every day if he was batting .174. He already stunted the growth of almora and as far as I am concerned, the you go we go has transferred to the power of three with the enthusiasm and fearlessness of Almora, Baez and Contrares. The ABC's to firing up the team to victory for the cubs.
Those 3 are definitely the spark plugs..
They bring alot of the energy to this team

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Fowler is washed up. Almora/Happ is bettter and more versatile that Almora/Fowler

Washed up at 32? Hard to believe.

That said, they would lose production even if Dex rebounded. Almora is hitting .300 vs righties and lefties. I really don't see the need now.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
The only thing that would make sense is if the Cubs take Dex's deal for a PTBNL then made a 2nd deal involving Happ to next SP depth. This is a huge reach because of the moving parts and is very unlikely.

Montgomery's performance has really kept the 'need' down to get dramatic this year. A minor deal is more likely or no deal at all if Edwards and Darvish return 100%.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
The only thing that would make sense is if the Cubs take Dex's deal for a PTBNL then made a 2nd deal involving Happ to next SP depth. This is a huge reach because of the moving parts and is very unlikely.

Montgomery's performance has really kept the 'need' down to get dramatic this year. A minor deal is more likely or no deal at all if Edwards and Darvish return 100%.

I can just see it now, playoff roster, Coghlan starting in Left, Fowler in center. Just move on already. Fowler was an underachiever til he got here, he played his two contract seasons here in a perfect place, a small outfield with a gold glover in right. I will still never forgive this prick for running into left field and blowing up Schwarbers knee to catch a ball the fifth fucking game of the season.

He has 85 million dollars, let him go be a father to his new baby. He has been replaced.

Adipost

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Yes

CSF77

Liked Posts:

I really don't see it happening. The main reason is we are speculating that they would use Happ to get a front line starter . theo shot that down

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I really don't see it happening. The main reason is we are speculating that they would use Happ to get a front line starter . theo shot that down
Theo never really plays his hands when it comes to transactions...

Just because he says he hopes his inhouse guys can get the job done, doesn't mean if a deal falls on his table he not going to consider it..

I doubt the Cardinals would send Fowler back to the cubs in a trade, but im not holding out on the possibility of management upgrading the team

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Theo never really plays his hands when it comes to transactions...

Just because he says he hopes his inhouse guys can get the job done, doesn't mean if a deal falls on his table he not going to consider it..

I doubt the Cardinals would send Fowler back to the cubs in a trade, but im not holding out on the possibility of management upgrading the team

I would be pleased with Underwood for Ross. Ross has put up a 3.78 ERA .228 BAA 1.23 WHIP in 100 IP. I would put him above Hendricks right now. Now doing that pushes Chatwood out of the rotation with out worrying what Darvish's status is. Add to it Underwood is not going to be a Cubs starter. Contenders rarely let unproven have real shots. Hendricks and Arretta came up at the right time.