My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Listening to Hoyer on the radio, and i know he not gonna play his hand if something brewing...
But
He sounded as if he just hoping the ones that are struggling or not up to par, pick it up and their just gonna look at bringing in depth at pitching..

So, you go by that..
Basically the roster as is , is what gonna take them as far as they go..

All about hope..

Hope Darvish returns and is effective..

Hope Lester can continue being that ACE..

Hope Quintana and Hendricks get to the next level..

Hope Chatwood finds a pulse..

Hope Morrow dont have recurring back problems..

Hope bullpen can stay the course

Hope Contreras finds some power

Hope Rizzo finds his bat

Hope Baez continues to roll

Hope Russell stay consistent

Hope Bryant finds his power and clutch hitting

Hope Schwarber can keep it going

Hope Heyward continues to improve

Hope Hope Hope is the cubs new slogan for the 2nd half

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Hope Schwarber loses the 15 lbs he has put on since the end of spring training

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I would honestly look at the trades thus far to place value.

Took Hand and a add to get a top 15.

Took a top 100 and 2 adds to get Manny.

I take it as BP arms hold much less value. Hand plus control did not buy a top 20 prospect. What does that say about a injury return with no control?

I would guess his value is more in lower quality players vs high impact.

Looking at it realistically he is worth Maples and a interesting lower level guy.

Omeletpants

Save America
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Colorado Rockies
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Los Angeles Lakers
  2. Orlando Magic
  3. Phoenix Suns
  4. Sacramento Kings
  1. Columbus Blue Jackets
Morrow just placed on 10 day disabled list

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Back dated. He is eligible on the 26th.

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
really dont want them to sell out to get Britton. Would not mind seeing Underwood getting another shot in the pen, after he settled down he was doing pretty well. I guess I always go back to when the CArdinals were winning the division every year and the eventual great starter they would end up with the following year made a difference in the pen at the end of the current season.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
I would honestly look at the trades thus far to place value.

Took Hand and a add to get a top 15.

Took a top 100 and 2 adds to get Manny.

I take it as BP arms hold much less value. Hand plus control did not buy a top 20 prospect. What does that say about a injury return with no control?

I would guess his value is more in lower quality players vs high impact.

Looking at it realistically he is worth Maples and a interesting lower level guy.

He was a top 10 spec in Mejia

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
If you are looking at it as Yu and Smyly fail to return. Ya they are screwed regardless.

But looking at it as Yu returns only then it depends on Chatwood. He makes progress then Montgomery ills the LH need in the pen.

If both return they need nothing.

Smyly returns only they need a #4.

So there are variables going on here.

I see it as Yu holds more weight over all. They need a upgrade to both Chatwood and Montgomery.

Now that Hand is off the board Ross can’t be packed up with someone. Shoot Underwood for Ross strait done deal. Run 6 out for a few weeks loser hits the pen.

Given what Ross is doing in his walk season in the park he plays in, I am not sure he's an upgrade over Montgomery at all.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
They dont realistically need SP next year with 5 guys under contract/team control..
Plus Smyley

So there no need to convert Edwards..

Realistically Smyly is 12-18 months from being a difference maker. Folks don't just come out of the gate after TJS

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
Realistically Smyly is 12-18 months from being a difference maker. Folks don't just come out of the gate after TJS

Eh... i mean depends on what you're asking him to do. If you're asking him to go out and throw 100 pitches then yeah I agree. I mean for one thing you can spend 3-4 months just rebuilding your arm strength to start. However, if you're asking him to throw 1-2 innings I don't think it's that unreasonable to figure him as a potential impact arm in the bullpen. That also has the added benefit of only needing him to throw 2 or so pitches well where as starters need at least 3 average pitches and preferably more.

brett05

867-5309
Liked Posts:
Eh... i mean depends on what you're asking him to do. If you're asking him to go out and throw 100 pitches then yeah I agree. I mean for one thing you can spend 3-4 months just rebuilding your arm strength to start. However, if you're asking him to throw 1-2 innings I don't think it's that unreasonable to figure him as a potential impact arm in the bullpen. That also has the added benefit of only needing him to throw 2 or so pitches well where as starters need at least 3 average pitches and preferably more.

That is very true, but since he's not even started rehab yet, I can't see him as an option let alone an effective one for this season

beckdawg

Liked Posts:
That is very true, but since he's not even started rehab yet, I can't see him as an option let alone an effective one for this season

Eh I mean he's close. He's suppose to start his minor league rehab before the close of july. I'm sure they'll take it slow but I don't see any reason why he would be available in sept. assuming he remains healthy and doesn't relapse.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I agree..

Why when someone suggested he was an option for this year, i disagreed..

I just mentioned him for next season as he would be a depth starter at some point..

CSF77

Liked Posts:
I’m just hoping that Chavez is not their final answer though. I’m fine with addressing Butler being gone all season and ending that issue. But if this is addressing Yu it is concerning.

Now on Smyly the speculation is Sept call up. I really don’t know if they try to build up his arm by starting with a pitch limit. It makes more sense as the pen tends to be more situational and frequent. Starting they can piggyback. They did this with Butler so it is far more likely that Smyly starts the game and hits his limit then the normal day’s starter takes over.

As far as Ross is concerned I concidered him a upgrade to Chatwood. I still do. He costs nothing and he expires.

Montgomery is concerning because his so rate is below a 7 for the first time. It doesn’t bode well going forward

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Here is the worst ball/strike call ever.....so bad, both the home plate and 1B umpires were suspended for the season. LOL, and we thought MLB umps were bad.

[video]https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/1019942331452182529[/video]

Parade_Rain

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Here is the worst ball/strike call ever.....so bad, both the home plate and 1B umpires were suspended for the season. LOL, and we thought MLB umps were bad.

[video]https://twitter.com/twitter/statuses/1019942331452182529[/video]
I don't know. While that's bad, I think the call that cost Galarraga a perfect game was the most egregious error made by an umpire. This strike call was bad, because it was a strike whether the player swung or not.