Rank positions of need

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Tier 1-
OL
(C/OT/G ( 2 upper level FA at 2 of 3 positions)
I think they should sign top FA OT and center available and then draft OG.

( DT/ DE) Sign Noticeable FA somewhere on Dline and then draft Dline in top part of draft

(Linebacker) sign Noticeable FA at linebacker position and then draft linebacker in top part of draft

WR sign noticeable FA Wr

Tier 2-
NT
OG
DE
WLB
SLB
TE
Name that noticeable FA WR. Chances are it will be difficult to find this year, unfortunately.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
There are so many holes on this team.

So sign OT and center in FA.
Sign noticeable FA on Dline and at linebacker,
how realistic is that is cap wise.

Draft
1st dline or linebacker
2nd linebacker or dline
3rd OG
4th NT

The front 7 is garbage
Cap wise, it is possible, but will there be real upgrades at all positions?

As for linebacker and DE, always DE in the first and linebacker in the second. Linebackers are less valuable in the NFL than DEs.

Sanborn is doing a good job at linebacker while Robinson and Gibbs are ... bad. A good defensive line will make CBs and linebackers seem better. I wish the Bears give Weatherford a chance to see what he can do in 2022. Maybe there isn't a need to replace a starter. Maybe the Bears only need to get a backup linebacker which would only take a 5th rounder or later.

Aesopian

Hooters Waitress
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
You eat 8.3 and only save 5.8 if you cut him. Considering the other holes I expect he will be back one more year.

Depends on how FA plays out if you find an upgrade at a good price. Please do it.

vinson555

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
S tier needs DT WR DE and C

A true 3 Tech who is top of his game might make the whole D line better, but a better Edge rusher I think will also be key even if he is 2nd of 3rd tier, someone who applies pressure more than what we have now.

-Fields needs a difference maker, this can be a WR or TE for all I care. You can't go in to next year with the group of guys you have or sign one year guys and expect the same result.

-Centers are the glue of an Offensive line and is the 2nd most important spot on the Line. If Patrick can't stay healthy, we all agree, we don't want to leave it up to Mumps. They help a young QB read blitz's, so I'd rather get a Center who can do both, be better than them in pass pro, and read defenses. I think Jensen would have loved to come to the Bears if he saw what Fields had become... oh well the dream...

A Tier- CB, LB, RT, RB

Most of your starting corners are not the fastest, and thus if they lack speed they will get burned in man defense. You also have to decide is Johnson your long term guy on the edges? Can Vildor worth resigning? You have nothing worth it behind them in depth so this to me is an A tier worry for this offense.

LB was a weakness of this team going in, you trade you best guy for whatever reason you have, it won't matter. Bears need to address this, Sanborn, yeah let him start the rest of the year, but what else you have going forward?

I am a Borum supporter, but I'd be stupid to not see RT needs an upgrade in pass pro, if that means signing a vet for a Year to get the young guys up to speed to help Fields stay on his back, or draft a guy day 2 (Depending on where we draft I'm likely not using a 1st) to compete, I'm all for it.

With Herbert looking like your only RB worth a damn signed next season, this is still an issue. He has outplay Monty in running the ball and as they say rare RB's get a second contract. He will get one.. but where?

B tier- LB depth, OLine depth, WR depth, and RB depth

After listing all the starters of need, backups in a lot of these roles are very key. Need better WR's that don't drop the ball when it's in their hands, need Oline who can step up when someone goes down. LB is just the weakest part of this team along with the D line so having more young guys like Sanborn surprise you is never a bad thing, or a chance to. Also injuries.

F tier... QB

Fields, nuff said.

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:
Come on Fozzy! Why don't you go pick up Payne at the airport. After all, you are just a fan, like George.

Payne would probably enjoy the music you listen to than the Tony Bennett playing in George's car.

I already have one white billionaire slave owner, i dont need a second. Also, George and I arent on speaking terms. He apparently didnt like me calling DA mum, Vagina.

DB012031

Liked Posts:
I think we all universally agree on what the Bears need going into the 2023 season.

My concern (if you can call it that) is that we make intelligent and open minded decisions (not flashy).
  • Example: Don't give Orlando Brown $20M a year for LT, he is NOT worth it at all (say this as a KC native watching him play weekly)
  • Example: There aren't really any "elite" FA WR, so don't over commit money to a guy just because we need a #1.
I'd like to see BPA draft mentality but without a full blown stubborness to "the system"; for example:
  • If the Bears end up with say a top 3 pick, we don't pick a QB because that is dumb BUT be open to moving back if the haul of picks meets our needs
  • If the BPA is a position of need but doesn't necessarily "fit our systems" dont shy away from adapting our system to fit their abilities
    • Mazi Smith, DT from Michigan, would be an example. Mamoth DT, great run stopper, athletic, can take on the double team but not known for his pass rushing abilities (though he can get to the QB when asked). He would look great in Chicago and would free up the linebackers, IMO, but again, maybe not the ideal fit for Flus's D. BUT, if he is the BPA and we still need D-linemen, I would take him.

Icculus

The Great and Knowledgeable
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Army Black Knights
3 Technique DT (Carter if they have a high enough pick)
Center (FA or a 2nd or 3rd rounder)
WR (1st or 2nd round pick)
Edge Rusher (FA or 1st or 2nd round pick)
OT (left or right, Conklin would be badass or a 1st rounder)
RB (FA or a 4th or later round pick)

HeHateMe

He/Himz/Hiz
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
Oh, you don't like it when ppl make up your takes?

So sorry!

But this one is true. And you also think it would be better if Fields loses the rest of his games.

DO YOU HAVE A SCREENSHOT OF @Hawkeye. MAKING THIS TAKE WITH GOOD CONTEXT OR WAS IT FROM AN IGT AND SARCASM?

fatkid73

Liked Posts:
3Tech DT
LT
DE
C
WR
LB
Slot Corner

IMO, we need to get better in the trenches on both sides of the ball. On offense, It would immediately make the WR's look better. On Defense, it would make the secondary look a ton better. I don't care how they do it, FA or draft, but I hope we load up on front 7 players.

I think right now, across the offensive line, Jenkins is the only OL who is completely safe in their spot. Jones is a close second as he has played well for a late round rookie. The rest are easily replaceable.

The D-Line is a complete mess. Current group would make solid backups across the line, but none are starters IMO. MAYBE you can get away with All positions are upgradable.

Spankypants

Liked Posts:
DRAFT picks: Round 1) Belgian Triple, 2) German Lager, 3) Chech Pilz, 4) Juicy-hazy IPA, 5) Christmas Ales are starting to hit the shelves., 6) Ambers, Nut Browns, Porters.. and the list goes on as any trade downs occur.
gross1-1_zps6cyw3gnk.jpg

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
I'm just going to put out there that we actually don't need a LT. Braxton Jones is most likely it. He's a rookie that needs to put on strength, fair enough, but there's little chance he's not the starting LT next year.

I'm figuring we are probably picking between 7-9, so these are the picks that the mock draft database says could be available there:

7.) Kellee Ringo CB Georgia
8.) Peter Skoronski OT Northwestern
9.) Bryan Bresee DL (3T) Clemson
10.) Quentin Jones WR TCU

If we are looking at these players being on the board, it would be hard, but if a team is wanting to trade up, maybe that's still the right call to trade back and stack picks.

So,

Tier 1

RT -- This is where we spend money. I'd like the dude from the Browns, but I keep reading that, though he's a mauler, he's slow-footed. I really like the idea of he and Jenkins straight up obliterating dudes.

DT (FA or draft) -- Straight up, Pay Chris Jones 20 plus a year. Sign him and put him here. This is the dude we spend cash on. Even if we sign Chris Jones, Bresee is on the board, we grab him, too.
Chris Jones

Tier 2

DE -- All I have to say is, according to Spotrac, Nick Bosa's a FA. I can dream, can't I? Apart from him leaving SF, I just don't know if any of the FA here are worth the scrap it'd take to sign them. This'd probably have to be a draft acquisition, but I don't know who we'd get that would provide an immediate impact. Either way, the season's still on, and there are a lot of games left to be played.

WR -- With the addition of Claypool, this moves down a tier. We could probably draft a dude like Zay Flowers, Cedric Tillman, or Parker Washington in the 3rd. I really want Parker Washington over the others, but they'd provide the Z/slot sticky-handed receiver that's a danger to take it to the house on every play.

C -- This is only in Tier 2 because this isn't a hard position to fill. My old draft crush Biadasz is a FA. Again, I can dream, right? Either way, sign a guy, throw some cash there, and then draft a kid to play C.

Tier 3

LB -- Not a hard one to fill. There are dudes out there. If we can get an OLB that can also pass rush, like Edmunds, all the better.

CB -- We need a good 3rd CB to play the outside when Gordon moves into N on 3rd down. Also, I'm not sure what is up with JJ. He really had a bad game. It says he was full participant in yesterday's practice, but I don't know what's going on with him.

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
So come on down Myles Murphy?

IDK what they are gonna do at DE. Clowney is on a down year and may go for a really reasonable amount, but hes also nearing 30. Is Poles gonna go older stop gap?

Im sure some of the following fodder will come up and be looked at.

Zach Allen, Rasheem Green, Smoot, Omenihu,

As far as DT, Da'ron Payne is my #1 priority FA if he hits the market. Id be throwing all the bags at him. Good ol George can meet him at the airport too.. Id probably debate adding Hargrave at 3T too, even if he is older.. Jones/Hargrave rotating at 3T. Payne can rotate over there too. Definitely getting the Fat A Donald from Nevada late to sit behind Jones/Hargrave
I could be wrong, but I don’t think that Poles is going to look at high dollar, older vets. I just really can’t see it, unless the Bears turn it around, and are looking like SB contenders, and such a vet helps them get get over the hurdle.

jive

Liked Posts:
I'd rank based on the position that cost us games.
Even though our WRs and OL suck, we're now scoring enough points to keep us in games, but the defense loses it for us.

1. DT - Affects our ability to defend the run, as well as the pass rush, thus the DBs.
2. DE - For same reasons as above
3. CB - CB has been a liability for us since last year. We need at least one more CB, preferably a CB1 so that JJ can be CB2.
4. C - Musty has to go. An experienced center that can make line calls as well as block would help alot.
5. WR - Still need that #1 go-to guy
6. RT - We need an upgrade there
7. LT - Jones still needs time to develop, lets some blind side protection and let Jones play the swing
8. LB - If Sanborn can fill the bill, then we really only need one if we are playing base nickel anyway.

FozzyBear

Token CCS Minority
Liked Posts:
I could be wrong, but I don’t think that Poles is going to look at high dollar, older vets. I just really can’t see it, unless the Bears turn it around, and are looking like SB contenders, and such a vet helps them get get over the hurdle.

Yeah I doubt poles looks for older vets as stop gaps unless he truly feels the Bears can compete next year. If he hits a homerun in FA on younger guys, he may feel inclined to partake.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Draft
Round 1 LT
Round 2 WR
Round 2 C
Round 3 pass rush/Edge
Round 4 WR
Round 4 LB
Round 5 DT
Round 5
Round 7

FA is deeper for defense than offense. If the above isn't good enough for defense that's where you should be looking - not to putting off getting an offense for our freakin QB for yet another damn year.

Mighty Joe Young

Living in Troll's Heads Rent-Free for Decades
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Tier 1:

DT
Center
DE

These positions need significant investment. I expect them to be high draft picks or biggest FA signings. No way the bears can go into next year without addressing these positions.

Tier 2:

RT
WR

Bears need difference makers at these positions. They need a WR that can make plays with the ball in his hands, or someone that can consistently separate. Mooney ain’t it. I like his route running but I’ve seen many short passes or WR screens and he hasn’t been able to break any tackles or get yards. He’s a good WR but not a dynamic playmaker. They need a WR that the defense will have to be aware of and scheme for.

I rank RT in this tier but I see the bears playing themselves out of the running for the top 2 DL in the draft. If they do I hope they draft a top LT and try Jones at RT or he’s a high level swing tackle, sign a RT like Conklin.

Tier 3:

Cb
LB
LT

The bears should spend some money on a mid level LB, and I fully expect 1 to be signed on FA. That being said I think figuring out the secondary is slightly more important. Is Gordon going to be full time nickel, or can he play outside? Vildor has been serviceable but I expect a mid to late round pick, or FA at CB.

I put LT here but like I said I actually hope they address in round 1, or in FA and give Jones a shot at RT.

RB
OG

I think the bears should keep whitehair at least next year. He’s been one of the best OL on this team, and there are holes all over the place. No reason to make another hole that needs to be fixed. If they can spend on a center, I think whitehair - FA/2nd round - Jenkins is a solid interior. Depending on how the draft falls the OL could be Skoronsky- whitehair - FA - Jenkins - jones.

RB depends on what they do with Montgomery. Wouldn’t mind a 5th round addition depending on what they do with the other positions.

It's actually a very well thought-out list.

The one exception is LT - which as you said, I hope they address in Rd 1 IF a premier pass rusher or an otherwise special player doesn't just fall into their lap.

Reactions: Myk

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
It's actually a very well thought-out list.

The one exception is LT - which as you said, I hope they address in Rd 1 IF a premier pass rusher or an otherwise special player doesn't just fall into their lap.

And a real premier not the usual any defensive player is worth more than any offensive player most Bears fans believe and we get a LB who can tackle at 8.

SugarWalls

Liked Posts:
Completely agree with a lot of this. The WR market this year in FA is bad, and any upgrades would take a round 1 or 2 investment. I think this is a big reason why Poles made the trade for Claypool.

However, the DE and DT is bad. The bears could use a 3T, DT, and a #1 edge rusher. There is a decent market for DT, but the DE market is barren. If the bears want to actually upgrade the DL it is going to take a FA and at least 1 of the top 2 picks. Depending on how high the bears 1st round pick is BPA will be far and away DL. Not to mention the secondary continues to be a mess despite spending both 2nd round picks on it this last year.

Secondly, no point in investing that highly in the WR position if the OL can't block for pass plays. Use this year to improve the OL, try to get velus jones involved in some way ... then in 2024 can look to draft WR in round 1 with a 15-32 ranked first round pick.
@remydat here I am once again justifying the claypool trade (maybe i'm wrong in hindsight). Is this also continuously cunting about the claypool trade like you claimed?????? Also making some moderately positive comments about VJJ. Is this excessive cunting like you claim? Please let me know when you get a chance, k thx.