Ranking of Phil's Worst Moves

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
The coaching hires. That's it. The rest of the shit is somewhat forgivable.

When they announced Mel Tucker as our DC, I knew it was about to get real bad and then came the Joe D announcement and was full on face palm. Trestman was in over his head, I think he'll be a decent coordinator though.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
I thought Phil deserved another year, but I'm just a fan and not privy to everything. I am thankful for him giving us a future HOF offensive lineman. Been a long time since we've had that!

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
Phil has screwed this job up in so many different ways. He has essentially wasted three years with his bad moves, what do you think has been his worst move? Here is my list.

1) The Trestman hire. Complete and utter laughable failure on its own merit and even worse in context compared to other available choices. This is hard, because it did not look that bad after year one, then WTF happened last year. But I agree the chain effect of this coaching choice killed us
2) Tucker hire and retention. Tucker hire was bad, but keeping him after year one was inexcusable!
3) The Lovie firing. He fired a guy had just had the number one DVOA defense in the league, gone 10-6 and who had a locker room full of loyal soldiers. Phil then beat his chest about playoffs at his victorious post-firing presser(oops). This one I would not put on the list. Lovie's time was up here regardless of the record, it was time to move on. If we would have moved on to the right coach, nobody would be second guessing this.
4) The Jay monster extension. Crazy that this is not even close to the move that set the team back the most. This is very close to #1. THis has killed us last year, now it's kiling us this year and possibly next.
5) Not addressing the O line in 2012. Agree
6) 2012 draft and FA signings, it was essentially Alshon and a dumpster fire. Of course Shea was bad, but lots of bad luck in this draft that could not be controlled by Emery.
7) 2013 defensive roster construction. Seemed decent at the time, just did not work out that. Shit happens! I liked the moves at first

excellent and original topic :) I like it.

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
I think Brandon Marshall should be there as well

There was a reason why Miami almost gave him away and there was a reason why Bears almost gave him away

Really? lol THe overall 3 years was positive and was well worth it having him on The BEars, it was just year 3 that it changed. Not a bad move by EMery at all.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
The only thing that makes me sleep better at night is knowing Emery has been fired. Say what you will about the ineptitude of the ownership at least they got rid of Emery.

TishLover

Liked Posts:
Wow so now getting Brandon Marshall for two 3rds was a mistake? Hoy fuck, get a grip.

Really? lol THe overall 3 years was positive and was well worth it having him on The BEars, it was just year 3 that it changed. Not a bad move by EMery at all.

It's cool, everyone have their own opinions and you guys could be right.
I happen to side with the thought that he was a cancer in the locker room, but then again just my opinion.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Marc Trestman over the reigning NFL head coach of the year in Bruce Arians..

Marc Trestman.

That should live with Emery rest of his career, what a dork.

Signing a bad QB that no other team wants to a huge contract with elite money that the next front office can't escape and is forced to deal with.

They should re-hire him just so he can be fired twice for that.

Pretty sure Ryan Pace would like to punch him.

Alterego

Master Debater
Donator
Liked Posts:
The coaching hires. That's it. The rest of the shit is somewhat forgivable.

When they announced Mel Tucker as our DC, I knew it was about to get real bad and then came the Joe D announcement and was full on face palm. Trestman was in over his head, I think he'll be a decent coordinator though.

I gave Tucker the benefit of the doubt when we hired him, what sealed the deal for me was keeping him around for a 2nd year.

Bear_Assed

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
McClellin has to be in top 3 imo. Fucking Emery and his fucking Ego thought he could outsmart everyone with that stupid fucking pick. Set us back big time w/ that. Then Brandon Hardin w/ his 3rd pick. Dude never played a fucking game.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I hate watching Chandler Jones because he should be Bear and I hate Jay's contract. Those were crucial moves that back fired on him.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Worst mistake was not franchising Cutler before offering him a longer term deal. Right now, the Bears would simply have let Cutler walk and started fresh with Fox/Pace. Now, the team is stuck with Jay which effectively prolongs the rebuild process.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
I hate watching Chandler Jones because he should be Bear and I hate Jay's contract. Those were crucial moves that back fired on him.

Wouldn't have mattered. Shea would have been developed properly with that coaching staff in New England and Jones would be on the verge of being cut on the Bears this offseason.

JDB_219

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Wouldn't have mattered. Shea would have been developed properly with that coaching staff in New England and Jones would be on the verge of being cut on the Bears this offseason.

Jones would have been fine with Rod M.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

Players make coaches look good, it's not the other way around.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Trestman has two bad sides of the ball and bad special teams right now.

I still don't see your real argument for firing Lovie. The offense was bad because it had bad players. The D had good players and was great. Why fire the coach when the players are bad?

Making the wrong hires is independent of Lovie being let go. The 2nd didn't cause the 1st. It's the other way around and JA was let go the previous year for the same lack of playoff reasons which had a lot to do with Lovie staff hires. Something he strongly insisted upon. Lovie is a good coach but it was simply time. One that comes to every coach other than those that make it to the playoffs almost every year.

I like Windy's take on page one.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Players make coaches look good, it's not the other way around.

Players used properly make coaches look good. When you've got coaches like Lovie and Martz that basically run the same schemes regardless of talent, you're not optimising your personnel.

Run the ball

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Players used properly make coaches look good. When you got coaches like Lovie and Martz that basically run the same schemes regardless of talent, you're not optimising your personnel.

Those coaches did absolutely fine when they had talent to play with.

Coaching plays about a 10-15% of what goes on, the rest is up to the talents of those players. With that said, Jones would have been fine anywhere and Shea likely a flop anywhere else too.