Ray Emery fan club

southern_cross_116

Liked Posts:
All right, let's consider stats and what generates stats ...

Stats work best for fantasy leagues when they are taken out of the context of the teams that these players are producing their stats on.

And yes, I have played in fantasy sports leagues; they're all right -but can lead to some misrepresentation of stats -as those are all about context.

icehogfan08

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
wanna explain it?

I'm all for the goalie wins, but I understand what Dewey is trying to point out.

I guess the best example to put this is with Luongo. He usually has around a 8.9-9.0 save %. Because of that his team knows they are going to have to go out there and put up 4+ goals. The team is allowing Luongo to get the wins. Then when someone like Lundquist is throwing up a 93+ % and is allowing his team to compete thats a better goalie.

I think Emery has been solid, and the reason is beacuse of that Edmonton game, along with his start every now and then. However if Emery is getting us wins, then tyhats the goalie I would be riding. I really dont care who plays in net, because the better team play you get, the more your going to help the Goalies stats.

tbo41fan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Arizona Wildcats
I'm all for the goalie wins, but I understand what Dewey is trying to point out.

I guess the best example to put this is with Luongo. He usually has around a 8.9-9.0 save %. Because of that his team knows they are going to have to go out there and put up 4+ goals. The team is allowing Luongo to get the wins. Then when someone like Lundquist is throwing up a 93+ % and is allowing his team to compete thats a better goalie.

I think Emery has been solid, and the reason is beacuse of that Edmonton game, along with his start every now and then. However if Emery is getting us wins, then tyhats the goalie I would be riding. I really dont care who plays in net, because the better team play you get, the more your going to help the Goalies stats.

Thats the only thing im trying to say..

wins=play time

HawkWriter

Liked Posts:

Whoa...what Luongo are you talking about? He hasn't had below a .913 (not counting this year) since 2000. Last year he had a .928 sv pct. Also, Lundqvist has never put up a .93% in a full season, in fact last season he had a sv pct of .923, which was lower than Luongo.

icehogfan08

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Whoa...what Luongo are you talking about? He hasn't had below a .913 (not counting this year) since 2000. Last year he had a .928 sv pct. Also, Lundqvist has never put up a .93% in a full season, in fact last season he had a sv pct of .923, which was lower than Luongo.

I was making up numbers

icehogfan08

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
haha okay, I just wanted to make sure there because they weren't adding up to me. No worries.

I was just trying to throw something out there, I see where both sides are coming from.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

:clap:

exactly.

Popinski Soda

Back in the USSR
Donator
Liked Posts:
RayEmeryLabmo.jpg

Is that a McLaren or just a McLaren-orange Lambo?

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Technically you using the percentage stat is bogus because he hasn't played very much. It's like saying that a baseball player with a 1.000 average on opening day is the greatest player in the world. Not big enough sample size. One bad game thanks to defense kills.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Technically you using the percentage stat is bogus because he hasn't played very much. It's like saying that a baseball player with a 1.000 average on opening day is the greatest player in the world. Not big enough sample size. One bad game thanks to defense kills.

no, im actually looking at his career as well.

there is a reason why he has never been a full time starting goalie in the nhl for more than 1 season.....he just isnt very good. I like him as a back up, but you are foolish to believe that the hawks will breeeze right into the cup with him in net. not going ot happen.

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:

there is a reason why he has never been a full time starting goalie in the nhl for more than 1 season.....he just isnt very good. I like him as a back up, but you are foolish to believe that the hawks will breeeze right into the cup with him in net. not going ot happen.

I don't remember ever saying that Emery should be the starting goalie. I said that he's playing well and it's good because Crawford played his best hockey when fighting for his job last year.

southern_cross_116

Liked Posts:

That is the conventional thinking, however, it is also exactly why hockey writers were claiming that the Hawks were not going to be able to win in 2010 (the 2009-10 playoffs)- Niemi, he'd never been a #1 at any level, etc...

and it didn't work that way. So 'not gonna happen' is probably overstating things. 'Probably not gonna happen.' Might be better, but on the other hand Crawford only became a #1 during last season (and arguably is not #1 now- at best, it is a splitting duties situation).

So, what is it really? I don't think it is right to dump all that on Emery -as there is a team situation that needs to be looked at holistically.

And then it becomes: - how do you address the situation? It can't be just put Crawford in there, because he was a number 1 goalie for part of one season and is paid more than Emery -as that also fits into your example as to why Emery won't work. :thinking:

Interesting twist to the topic -anyways that's the situation as I see that it has been laid out in the thread (not saying I buy into it or not ... it is rather irrellevant, at this point, as you have to play with what you have. And you need to keep generating points).

icehogfan08

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
IDK if Emery has ever lost the #1 spot. He was injured when he lost the job in Philly. Then in Ottawa it was attitude adjustment because obviously something was going on with the players leaving. IDK what happened in Ottawa but they got to the finals, than BAM their players are requesting to be moved etc. that of course upset Emery who wanted players around him to go win that cup.

Last year when Hiller went out, Emery played that #1 caliber to get the Ducks to the post season. Maybe a healthy Emery surrounded by a good team is what he needs to get back to that #1

TheChicagoFan

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
There are things that I don't like about Emery, though. He's really slow and I don't like a slow goaltender. He's good and makes good saves, but having him in a shootout and certain situations is just bad. He's a good duo guy.