Really good OL play last night

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
I’ll take the guy who’s playing lights out at C in the NFL as opposed to rolling the dice on a rookie and hope they pan out. Bears can’t rely on hope to fill the position.

Why are they letting a lights out center walk? If they do why is he heading into his 3rd team? And remember Dallas also tried him at Center and let him go. It's odd enough to get a great FA center and that's 2 teams who let the same great center go.

I would've rather not roll the dice on starting a rookie center either but Poles over ruled me on that one last draft. We could've had Schmitz sitting healthy to go in last game with 5 extra weeks of practice.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Why are they letting a lights out center walk? If they do why is he heading into his 3rd team? And remember Dallas also tried him at Center and let him go. It's odd enough to get a great FA center and that's 2 teams who let the same great center go.

I would've rather not roll the dice on starting a rookie center either but Poles over ruled me on that one last draft. We could've had Schmitz sitting healthy to go in last game with 5 extra weeks of practice.
They wouldn’t be letting him go, really…the bears are in a better cap situation and can offer him more money. More often than not, players go to the highest bidder. I’m sure Miami would love to have him back

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

I am going to blow your mind. NFL teams are not allowed to spend to their heart's content as the NFL has what is known as a salary cap.

Now here is the really mind blowing part, the Dolphins are currently projected to be anywhere from 23m-40m over the 2024 cap. What that means is they may have to let good players like Williams hit free agency.

Crazy isn't it?

P.S. JMS currently has a 40.4 pass block grade. It always amazes me how quickly Bears fans want to give up on rookies the Bears draft while hyping other rookies they wanted the Bears to draft who are actually worse.

Last edited:

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
They wouldn’t be letting him go, really…the bears are in a better cap situation and can offer him more money. More often than not, players go to the highest bidder. I’m sure Miami would love to have him back

I'm pretty sure I remember his name because I wanted him in the draft or was at least OK with others wanting him. I'd be OK with getting him but my intention would be for him to fill in at center while we find a great one in the draft then he can be the better Whitehair backing up the center while playing guard.

We'd need a back up center anyway so whether it's Connor or a drafted center being the starter doesn't really matter. And hopefully if you draft a center who can't beat Conner the center can be a guard while he backs center up.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
If they get a legit LT & C in the draft or FA, they can have this dominant line next year:

LT: FA/Joe Alt/Fashamu
LG: Jenkins
C: Van Pran
RG: Davis
RT: Bobbie Massie

Dominant.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
I'm pretty sure I remember his name because I wanted him in the draft or was at least OK with others wanting him. I'd be OK with getting him but my intention would be for him to fill in at center while we find a great one in the draft then he can be the better Whitehair backing up the center while playing guard.

We'd need a back up center anyway so whether it's Connor or a drafted center being the starter doesn't really matter. And hopefully if you draft a center who can't beat Conner the center can be a guard while he backs center up.

Fair enough, fam. I think you’re over thinking it a bit so we can agree to disagree. If Williams continues to play this way and finishes the year with an 80 PFF grade, the odds of finding a better C next draft is minimal. Unless the bears can find the next Jason kelce. Even the odds of finding a Humphrey/Ragnow are low.

I’m all for continuing to draft more iOL and OL in general for depth purposes. I just would not have to rely on having to find a plus caliber starting C when their current players Cody/Patrick both suck ass

Reactions: Myk

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Fair enough, fam. I think you’re over thinking it a bit so we can agree to disagree. If Williams continues to play this way and finishes the year with an 80 PFF grade, the odds of finding a better C next draft is minimal. Unless the bears can find the next Jason kelce. Even the odds of finding a Humphrey/Ragnow are low.

I’m all for continuing to draft more iOL and OL in general for depth purposes. I just would not have to rely on having to find a plus caliber starting C when their current players Cody/Patrick both suck ass

All of that is why I wanted to draft one of the top 3 last draft, odds of another center class like that are slim. Whitehair should be a guard period. Poles obviously didn't go back far enough in the film room if he's impressed by Whitehair at center. None of us who've been around long were surprised at those snaps especially switching to center in the middle of a game.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
All of that is why I wanted to draft one of the top 3 last draft, odds of another center class like that are slim. Whitehair should be a guard period. Poles obviously didn't go back far enough in the film room if he's impressed by Whitehair at center. None of us who've been around long were surprised at those snaps especially switching to center in the middle of a game.

Tippman was my guy. I probably would have drafted him at #32. Would have been tempting at least. Wasn’t that high on JMS, tbh.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If Van Pran falls to Bears 2nd round pick that would dream come true fix the interior. You could move Whitehair to what I think is his best position at this point in his career: back up guard which is important because you know Jenkins missing a handful of games each season. Tell Patrick to go sell fuckin used cars in Kenosha. Boom. iOL looks great with some depth too.
The thing with that is whether you think you can replace Whitehair with a younger version for a bit over $9m or if you're willing to spend that on a backup. His cap hit is $13.25M and his dead money is only $4.1m. I think you can find a better backup or starting FA C for the $9.1m we'd save. He gone.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
And MIA , who will already be over the cap, also have to find a way to pay Christian Wilkins.

Doubledown

Liked Posts:
If they get a legit LT & C in the draft or FA, they can have this dominant line next year:

LT: FA/Joe Alt/Fashamu
LG: Jenkins
C: Van Pran
RG: Davis
RT: * Wright

Dominant.
Alt 6’8”. Gets really low for his size , 20 yrs old

Dad was a first round pick

ursamajor

D.J. Moore is phat
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Even having to shuffle pieces around due to Patrick's injury, I thought they played really well. There were a number of plays where JF1 had plenty of time and a super clean pocket against an above average DL in Washington. I really think Jenkins makes this line way better. Not sure his future is here with the Bears with everything that has happened, but man if he could stay healthy and they decide to stick with him, he could be a building block piece along with Wright.

Last thought, if we could only get a solid C. Patrick is by far the weak link when he is in there and Whitehair has too many issues with the snap. Really need to shore up that position next offseason.
Jenkins played. When on field he’s a difference make and he completely sets the tone for, and anchors the interior of the line.

Last edited:

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Alt 6’8”. Gets really low for his size , 20 yrs old

Dad was a first round pick
I was told the Bears didn’t draft Wright, but rather Bobbie Massie

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Jenkins played. When on difference's field, he completely sets the tone for, and anchors the interior of the line.
He can hit the guy across from him like he has a roll of quarters in each hand and fights to the whistle. I noticed when he was out there on Thursday that he was keeping his head on a swivel, and had some really active hands, and that is some good growth too. If he can keep healthy, Jenkins can make a good career here.