Remember, good QBs are developed, not born!

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Yeah a crash and burn as a HC resonates more than success as an OC. Ok? Again, what does that have to do with Trestman's ability to coach offense? As an offensive coach/on the offensive side of the ball he succeeded much more than he failed.

See Baltimore.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
That's not why he was out of the league so long. If that was true, he wouldn't have been hired by Baltimore in the first place after it became magnified how weird he was. A lot of coaches are weird. If you are a good coach, you stick around.

Marc Trestman was a coach at the professional level for nearly 20 consecutive years.

What the hell are you talking about?

Trestman never got a HC gig prior to the Bears because he was such a fucking oddball. When he was an OC the HC could keep it confined. Trestman admitted in his book and interviews he didn't know how to handle a full team and his personality wasn't suited to it. He thought that was corrected when he got the Bears job...it obviously wasn't.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Yes, it literally was. Trestman himself admitted to this.

Yeah, He failed in Baltimore. He also succeeded on the offensive side of the ball more than that one failure so...my point still stands...

LMAO. What do you want him to say? "I can't get a job because I am a shitty coach!"

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Marc Trestman was a coach at the professional level for nearly 20 consecutive years.

What the hell are you talking about?

Trestman never got a HC gig prior to the Bears because he was such a fucking oddball. When he was an OC the HC could keep it confined. Trestman admitted in his book and interviews he didn't know how to handle a full team and his personality wasn't suited to it. He thought that was corrected when he got the Bears job...it obviously wasn't.

LOL, Canadian Football. Cutler could probably go there and win a few Championships too.

Let's see who is knocking down the door to grab Trestman as their next O Coordinator. If he is so good, I am sure he will get one soon.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
LMAO. What do you want him to say? "I can't get a job because I am a shitty coach!"

What is with your pre-2013 amnesia on the subject? Trestman was saying this and admitting this BEFORE he got the Bears job. No one viewed Trestman as a "shitty coach" prior to his Bears tenure.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
LOL, Canadian Football. Cutler could probably go there and win a few Championships too.
What does this have to do with Trestman's offense succeeding with Josh McCown more than Jay Cutler? Or getting nearly equal returns out of Jimmy Clausen in one start vs Jay Cutler?

Still waiting to hear what Trestman's offense "gimmicky"

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Fox was 2 games above 500 in his career as coach of the Panthers. Had ups and downs. He is a slightly above average coach.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
What does this have to do with Trestman's offense succeeding with Josh McCown more than Jay Cutler? Or getting nearly equal returns out of Jimmy Clausen in one start vs Jay Cutler?

Still waiting to hear what Trestman's offense "gimmicky"

Still waiting on Trestman's next coaching gig.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Fox was 2 games above 500 in his career as coach of the Panthers. Had ups and downs. He is a slightly above average coach.

Yeah, he went 2-14 in a year with Jimmy Clausen starting games..he also went to the SB with Jake Delhomme as a starter and won a lot of games with him and went to the playoffs three times with Delhomme. He won a playoff game with Tim Tebow. Fox has had success with QBs worse than Cutler. How are you disputing this?

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I am speechless.

Except I just want to say this...

Every Bears coach/coordinator had success in their careers without Cutler. Ron Turner with Erik Kramer and Rex Grossman in the NFL and Kurt Kittner in college, Mike Martz with pretty much everyone including Trent Green, Warner, Bulger, Jon Kitna, etc., Marc Trestman with numerous NFL QBs including Josh McCown on the Bears, Jon Fox with pretty much everyone including Peyton Manning, Delhomme, Tebow, etc....Cutler consistently had lack of success regardless of coach.

I don't think it's a coincident that Cutler's best "success" came with the best offensive coach of the bunch (Martz), and even that success was pretty muted compared to guys like Kitna, Bulger, etc

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Yeah, he went 2-14 in a year with Jimmy Clausen starting games..he also went to the SB with Jake Delhomme as a starter and won a lot of games with him and went to the playoffs three times with Delhomme. He won a playoff game with Tim Tebow. Fox has had success with QBs worse than Cutler. How are you disputing this?

Lovie won a playoff game with Cutler and went to the playoffs 3 times. Took Grossman to the Superbowl who is even worse than Delhomme. Then flamed out of Tampa. Still a better coach than Fox by a long shot.

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
I don't think it's a coincident that Cutler's best "success" came with the best offensive coach of the bunch (Martz), and even that success was pretty muted compared to guys like Kitna, Bulger, etc

Yes. The best O Coordinators make average QBs look better. It's no surprise. Most people would say that Cutler was at his very worst with Trestman. Yes, his stats were inflated because they never ran the ball and they were down by 4 touchdowns in the 4th quarter in half their games so he got a lot of garbage stats.

FirstTimer

Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Lovie won a playoff game with Cutler and went to the playoffs 3 times.
Lovie went to the playoffs one time with Cutler.

He also took teams QBd by Rex Grossman and Kyle Orton to the playoffs...

What's your point?

Lovie had more success without Cutler than he did with him...this doesn't help the narrative that Cutler had a bad coaching situation. What's with your memory today? How are you not understanding the context of the Cutler disappointment?

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Lovie went to the playoffs one time with Cutler.

He also took teams QBd by Rex Grossman and Kyle Orton to the playoffs...

What's your point?

Lovie had more success without Cutler than he did with him...this doesn't help the narrative that Cutler had a bad coaching situation. What's with your memory today? How are you not understanding the context of the Cutler disappointment?

Comparing Lovie to Fox is a fair comparison because it is apples to apples. 2 defensive minded head coaches. You had Fox thrown in with offensive minded coaches which is kind of odd.

2005 and 2006 were the Bears prime defensive years and that is the biggest reason they went to the playoffs those years. in 2005, I think they allowed like 50 points at home all year combined which is just stupid good. 2006 was actually not as good defensively when Brown went down, but Grossman was better than rookie Orton. Point is, there is a lot of factors that go into it.