Remydat 2nd Mock Offseason

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
This website is REALLY awesome btw. I don't think the Packers can mathematically keep Rodgers and tag Adams. Literally tagging Adams puts the Packers at 68 million over the cap LMAO. They have so much dead money probably from resturcturing contracts. Eventually that shit is gonna hit the cap. They are going to have to sign Adams to a backloaded deal if they want to keep him and hope Rodgers takes a team friendly deal. On top of that, he would know that they probably are cutting both Smith pass rushers, Amos, Cobb, etc.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
This website is REALLY awesome btw. I don't think the Packers can mathematically keep Rodgers and tag Adams. Literally tagging Adams puts the Packers at 68 million over the cap LMAO. They have so much dead money probably from resturcturing contracts. Eventually that shit is gonna hit the cap. They are going to have to sign Adams to a backloaded deal if they want to keep him and hope Rodgers takes a team friendly deal. On top of that, he would know that they probably are cutting both Smith pass rushers, Amos, Cobb, etc.
Hopefully they cut Kenny Clark and both smith's. I assumed Jones was a logical cut with Dillon, but I think his entire 22 contract is guaranteed

didshereallysaythat

Liked Posts:
Hopefully they cut Kenny Clark and both smith's. I assumed Jones was a logical cut with Dillon, but I think his entire 22 contract is guaranteed
They have so many players were cutting them saves almost no money. I don't know what they are going to do.

The obvious thing is to get a team like the Broncos to offer multiple firsts for Rodgers and his contract. And if you can get a franchise and trade for Adams, then they are sitting pretty with like 4-5 first round picks the next 2 years. Yeah they will suck for 2 years but with any competent drafting, they can rebuild a good roster.

Probie2429

Liked Posts:
Rodgers is going to dictate where he plays so Packers will be lucky to get a single first rounder for him. If I’m the Broncos, I’d start the negotiations with a second rounder.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Williams was the 11 graded guard this year and had 3 sacks and 15 total pressures. Bozeman was 11th at C with 3 sacks and 21 pressures. If you rank G and C together then Williams was 14 and Bozeman 16. So honestly I am fine with either but went with Williams as I think he has slightly more upside.

I don't see how we have the money to go after Armstead. He will likely get something like 17m-20m a year it seems which would pretty much kill our depth even more than I am projecting. Don't see how we can really afford Armstead and Bozeman unless you getting rid of someone like Quinn which is possible.
Williams was brutal in the Cowboys playoff loss.

Chicago4Life

Liked Posts:
So now that the Bears front office and coaching staff is taking shape, let's do another mock offseason. Here was the first one I did.

And the current cap which is 28.7 million and 41 players signed.

CUTS
Goldman - 6.7 million saved - Not worth his 11m cap hit as really doesn't offer more than Tonga at this point.
Jeremy Atta - 1.9 million saved - With the emergence of Gipson, we really don't need him.
Total Cap Space Left - 37.3 million
Players signed - 39

RE-SIGN

Peters/Wilkinson - 1m - Can come back to mentor and backup Borom and Jenkins. If he retires then just resign Wilkinson as dept.
Horsted - 1m - Should get the nod as the big slot WR/move TE going forward as more dynamic a receiver than Kmet.
DHC - 1m - He can come back as a potential starting S as we have to save somewhere
Bush - 1m - Another potential starting S that is cheap.
Grant - 2 years 4m - With Cohen's future up in the air, he serves as a good PR and gadget guy on O
Total Cap Space Left - 31.3m
Players Signed - 45

FREE AGENTS
LAKEN TOMLINSON,
SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS
See previous mock linked above for more detail but still his strengths as a run blocker particularly in zone are aligned with Getsy. Currently plays in a Shanny O so shouldn't be a huge adjust to Getsy given he is indirectly from the Shanny tree. He also fits Poles vision of building the OL and as he did for the Chiefs, he went the FA route to fix the OL quickly. Tomlinson finished the year with 3 sacks, 33 pressures and the 13 best graded G in the NFL. Daniels finished with 3 sacks and 33 pressures as well and was the 19th best graded guard (Tomlinson had a better run grade) so as he is younger I have no problem going with Daniels at RG instead of Tomlinson.
Contract Projection: Three years, $27 million ($9M per year, $16.5 million total guaranteed, 6 million first year cap hit)

CONNOR WILLIAMS, DALLAS COWBOYS
Also from my original mock, Williams strengths are blocking on the move and combo blocks which is a staple in the Shanny run game that Getsy looks to employ. Williams actually finished the season strong as he gave up only 2 sacks and 15 pressures. Think he would be the ideal LG for the Bears.
Contract Projection: Three years, $20 million ($6.67M per year, $12.5 million total guaranteed, 4 million first year cap hit)

STEVEN NELSON, PHILADELPHIA EAGLES
Again another guy from my original mock and still a good fit IMO. He is best in zone and is physical while rarely getting beaten deep so exactly what you need from a Cover 2 CB.
Contract Projection: Two years, $14 million ($7M per year, $8.5 million total guaranteed, 5 million first year cap hit)

ODELL BECKHAM JR., LOS ANGELES RAMS
He was a controversial choice in my first mock but hopefully people see why I wanted him watching the Rams in the playoffs. Think his ball skills and ability to win deep are perfect for Fields and as long as he gets balls I think his attitude can be managed. Still think he comes in around 14m a year but may now need a 3 year deal but every way think his first year cap hit will be the same 14m. If people still not sold on him then I would look to DJ Chark or Christian Kirk as alternatives with Kirk probably coming in a bit cheaper.
Contract Projection: Three years, $42 million ($14M per year, $30 million total guaranteed, 10m first year cap hit)

Total Cap Space Left - 6.1m
Players Signed 49

i see poles trading foles even if it means giving up a draft pick to entice teams...that will free up 8 mill
trevathan will be a post june cut, the 3.2 mill saved can go towards signing the draft class
williams is a no for me...too many penalties
i'd look into hernandez, change of scenery and better coaching could do wonders for him also has that nasty demeanor poles likes to see.
obj - pass, like another poster mentioned, poles is going bargain hunting especially with the bears cap situation being tight, i also expect he will play well in the superbowl inflating his ego and contract demands as well... so chark would be my number one choice followed by kirk.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:

Packers pretty much have to rebuild or restructure to such an extent as to destroy their future. If Rodgers leaves then no reason to franchise Adams IMO given the rebuild.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
i see poles trading foles even if it means giving up a draft pick to entice teams...that will free up 8 mill
trevathan will be a post june cut, the 3.2 mill saved can go towards signing the draft class
williams is a no for me...too many penalties
i'd look into hernandez, change of scenery and better coaching could do wonders for him also has that nasty demeanor poles likes to see.
obj - pass, like another poster mentioned, poles is going bargain hunting especially with the bears cap situation being tight, i also expect he will play well in the superbowl inflating his ego and contract demands as well... so chark would be my number one choice followed by kirk.

I mean obviously if you can trade Foles, you should but I would not give up draft picks that we need just to trade him when he comes off the books next year. Not like we Super Bowl contenders. June 1 cut for DT to create money to sign the draft class makes sense.

All those penalties for Williams is probably what makes him cheaper but also think they are an anomaly. Never had more than 6 prior to this year. Not sure Hernandez is really an upgrade.

For me at WR, I would you better off trying to get difference maker or just filling it out with the Goodwins and Bryds of the world and saving the money. We will have a ton of money in 2022 so rather wait to get a bigger name rather than blow 13 on someone who could end up going the way of Kenny Golladay and then be out in 2022 on a bigger name. I could get back Kirk assuming he is cheaper than Chark.

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
If I'm the Packers....I trade Rodgers to the team of his choosing, let Adams go, Cobb go, at least one of the backs go and try to salvage what I can of the defense. Write off a season and go from there while they use the ransom they will get for Rodgers to rebuild the offense.

Couldn't be happening to a better franchise....... :)

Midway Fields

CCS Quarterback Guru
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
I watched a lot of Conor Williams this year and the guy is a revolving door. Hard pass.

Would love OBJ but don’t think there is a chance he leaves the Rams.

Drake London is vastly overrated IMO.

Dejo

Godfather of FTO
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Real Salt Lake
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Utah Jazz
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Utah Utes
I feel like OBJ is gonna get tier-1 money in free agency. Poles mentioned being a fan of wave 2/3. I think somebody like Gallup or DJ Chark is more likely.
Chark would be fantastic.

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
Chark would be fantastic.
I think someone earlier projected him and Gallup around $14 mill/yr. I can't imagine chark getting that though, I think more 10-12 /yr. Big injury history and inconsistent production

Dejo

Godfather of FTO
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Real Salt Lake
  1. Chicago Bulls
  2. Utah Jazz
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Utah Utes
I think someone earlier projected him and Gallup around $14 mill/yr. I can't imagine chark getting that though, I think more 10-12 /yr. Big injury history and inconsistent production
I think they are tying both somewhat to what Robinson got with the ACL injury.

Edit: Chark and Gallup have had a larger injury history, but Robinson came off ACL after a stellar run prior to that.

Hutch1975

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Brewers
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Edmonton Oilers
  1. Brigham Young Cougars
Offense
QB - Fields
HB - Monty/Herbert
WR - OBJ, London, Mooney, Newsome, Grant
TE - Kmet, Chigo, Horstad
LT - Jenkins
LG - Williams
C - Whitehair
RG - Tomlinson
RT - Borom

4-3 Base
RDE - Quinn
NT - Tonga
3T - Blackson/Edwards
LDE - Mack
WLB - Smith
MLB - Walker
SLB - Gipson
RCB - Nelson/Evans
LCB - Johnson
FS - Jackson
SS - Bush/DHC

Nickel
RDE - Quinn
NT - Blackson
3T - Edwards/Mack
LDE - Mack/Gipson
WLB - Smith
MLB - Walker
Nickel - Jackson/Graham
RCB - Nelson/Evans
LCB - Johnson
FS - DHC
SS - Bush
Not bad, and I think a lot of thought went into it.

I'm leery of Jenkins at LT, given the injuries he had this season. I think O-Line must be the priority (Fields had at least two injuries that had him missing starts). As everyone here knows, my guy for the O-Line is Faalele out of Minnesota to play Rt, with Borom at LT. His size (6'9", 400 pounds) will be huge in the run game - no pun intended, and that would be a big boost for Fields.

As for QB, I think the Bears are better off cutting Foles. Not that he's a bad backup, in fact I think he is one of the best QB2s in the league. My problem is that Fields is very mobile and can scramble, and Foles just isn't as athletic. I think QB1 and QB2 should be very similar in styles. I'd cut Foles, and look for Cam Newton or Marcus Mariota as the QB2, I've often grabbed Mariota when I do mocks, but Newton may be better given that Fields reminds me of Cam. The Bears look to draft someone in the late rounds or find a UDFA in that Fields/Newton mold for QB3.

Also, I think you're neglecting restructuring as a means of building more cap room. Restructuring Mack, Jackson, Goldman, and Whitehair gets about $20 million more cap room.

That can be to keep at least one of Hicks/Nichols, and maybe both. That bolsters the 3T position on defense. Or, better yet, maybe that "base 4-3" can be a 46 instead, with Hicks-Goldman-Nichols starting at three DL spots, Mack at RDE (Dent's position) with Gipson at SLB.

Just a few thoughts and musings.

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
I don't think Laken Tomlinson is taking a 3 year deal. Rock solid/a top G in the league for the past 2 and change years. Does he get Andrew Norwell money (5 years, 66.5 mil)? Probably not. Do think he gets more than 27 mil over 3 years.

Hard pass on OBJ. That 14 mil could be much better spent on 2 WRs.

Gave you kudos on your last one and Nelson. Don't think Philly is letting him walk though. Easily a target.

I'd rather pay Ted Karras or Ben Jones or even Matt Paradis (Carolina has the cap to keep him, Tenn/NE don't for Jones/Karras) to be C and keep Whitehair at LG for a year. Probably cheaper/more reliable than Connor Williams.

Jason Peters isn't coming back to be a backup. Mentor? Maybe as a coach/consultant--I think fans put more stock in that shit than players/coaches--who are trying to win starting spots/pick the best guys for starting spots. Might as well pay him more than 15 an hour to be an offensive coach on the staff.

People have to stop this nonsense that Trevis Gipson, who's played his whole lifetime at edge rusher in HS, college, and so far in the NFL--can transition to Sam/a LB position that isn't an edge. Gipson probably is going to get cut because he doesn't fit the 4-2-5 scheme after he gets a year as a backup DE due to roster turnover and him being a cheap contract. Maybe he impresses at DE in situational spots/subbing for injury. The idea of Gipson at Sam is as dumb as people who wanted Charles Tillman to just "move to safety" because he's slow and on the wrong side of 30...

Speaking of 4-2-5, Der Flus runs it almost 80% of the time. Starting Nickel is.....?

dennehy

Liked Posts:
It's tough to see Gallup getting anything past a short term deal. He was injured during week 16 I think. It would be against the odds that he is at full strength for week one.

Chark has a pretty significant injury and only one year of production past WR2 level and that was in 2019.

Both are really risky plays for a team with zero WR depth.

I'll add: I don't think the Bears are going to go big for WR in free agency, and probably not the draft. Maybe something like Quincy Wilson, Byron Pringle, and Marcus Valdez Scantling, which they could get for less investment than OBJ.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I think they are tying both somewhat to what Robinson got with the ACL injury.

Edit: Chark and Gallup have had a larger injury history, but Robinson came off ACL after a stellar run prior to that.

PFF was projecting them around 13-14m. My big issue with them is not sure I really think they are the answer as WR1. If you give them 13-14m a year and with Mooney probably looking for an extension after 2022, you probably eliminate yourself from getting a true No 1 in 2023 when you have more cap. So I would prefer to wait until I can go after a true No 1 or take a stab at one I could get for cheaper this year like an OBJ. That obviously assumes OBJ ends up in thr 14m a year range and not 17m or more.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I don't think Laken Tomlinson is taking a 3 year deal. Rock solid/a top G in the league for the past 2 and change years. Does he get Andrew Norwell money (5 years, 66.5 mil)? Probably not. Do think he gets more than 27 mil over 3 years.

Hard pass on OBJ. That 14 mil could be much better spent on 2 WRs.

Gave you kudos on your last one and Nelson. Don't think Philly is letting him walk though. Easily a target.

I'd rather pay Ted Karras or Ben Jones or even Matt Paradis (Carolina has the cap to keep him, Tenn/NE don't for Jones/Karras) to be C and keep Whitehair at LG for a year. Probably cheaper/more reliable than Connor Williams.

Jason Peters isn't coming back to be a backup. Mentor? Maybe as a coach/consultant--I think fans put more stock in that shit than players/coaches--who are trying to win starting spots/pick the best guys for starting spots. Might as well pay him more than 15 an hour to be an offensive coach on the staff.

People have to stop this nonsense that Trevis Gipson, who's played his whole lifetime at edge rusher in HS, college, and so far in the NFL--can transition to Sam/a LB position that isn't an edge. Gipson probably is going to get cut because he doesn't fit the 4-2-5 scheme after he gets a year as a backup DE due to roster turnover and him being a cheap contract. Maybe he impresses at DE in situational spots/subbing for injury. The idea of Gipson at Sam is as dumb as people who wanted Charles Tillman to just "move to safety" because he's slow and on the wrong side of 30...

Speaking of 4-2-5, Der Flus runs it almost 80% of the time. Starting Nickel is.....?
This is overall a good post but Trevis Gipson fits fine in both 4-3 and nickel. I think he's better with his hand in the dirt and could move in for Mack after this season if they traded him, or just as a #3 rusher getting 30 snaps a game.

But he is no SAM, no doubt about that. I'd look for the Bears to sign Zaire Franklin who played SAM and core special teams for Eberflus in Indy.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Not bad, and I think a lot of thought went into it.

I'm leery of Jenkins at LT, given the injuries he had this season. I think O-Line must be the priority (Fields had at least two injuries that had him missing starts). As everyone here knows, my guy for the O-Line is Faalele out of Minnesota to play Rt, with Borom at LT. His size (6'9", 400 pounds) will be huge in the run game - no pun intended, and that would be a big boost for Fields.

As for QB, I think the Bears are better off cutting Foles. Not that he's a bad backup, in fact I think he is one of the best QB2s in the league. My problem is that Fields is very mobile and can scramble, and Foles just isn't as athletic. I think QB1 and QB2 should be very similar in styles. I'd cut Foles, and look for Cam Newton or Marcus Mariota as the QB2, I've often grabbed Mariota when I do mocks, but Newton may be better given that Fields reminds me of Cam. The Bears look to draft someone in the late rounds or find a UDFA in that Fields/Newton mold for QB3.

Also, I think you're neglecting restructuring as a means of building more cap room. Restructuring Mack, Jackson, Goldman, and Whitehair gets about $20 million more cap room.

That can be to keep at least one of Hicks/Nichols, and maybe both. That bolsters the 3T position on defense. Or, better yet, maybe that "base 4-3" can be a 46 instead, with Hicks-Goldman-Nichols starting at three DL spots, Mack at RDE (Dent's position) with Gipson at SLB.

Just a few thoughts and musings.

Makes no sense to cut Foles as then you eat the bulk of his cap hit and then have to replace him. Only real option would be to try and trade him.

Mack has been restructured a few times alread so not much more you can do with that contract. I refrained from restructuring the others because that pushes more money into the future for guys that I would probably prefer to cut or trade sooner rather than later. So you would be adding more dead cap.

Last edited: