Remydat 2nd Mock Offseason

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I don't think Laken Tomlinson is taking a 3 year deal. Rock solid/a top G in the league for the past 2 and change years. Does he get Andrew Norwell money (5 years, 66.5 mil)? Probably not. Do think he gets more than 27 mil over 3 years.

Hard pass on OBJ. That 14 mil could be much better spent on 2 WRs.

Gave you kudos on your last one and Nelson. Don't think Philly is letting him walk though. Easily a target.

I'd rather pay Ted Karras or Ben Jones or even Matt Paradis (Carolina has the cap to keep him, Tenn/NE don't for Jones/Karras) to be C and keep Whitehair at LG for a year. Probably cheaper/more reliable than Connor Williams.

Jason Peters isn't coming back to be a backup. Mentor? Maybe as a coach/consultant--I think fans put more stock in that shit than players/coaches--who are trying to win starting spots/pick the best guys for starting spots. Might as well pay him more than 15 an hour to be an offensive coach on the staff.

People have to stop this nonsense that Trevis Gipson, who's played his whole lifetime at edge rusher in HS, college, and so far in the NFL--can transition to Sam/a LB position that isn't an edge. Gipson probably is going to get cut because he doesn't fit the 4-2-5 scheme after he gets a year as a backup DE due to roster turnover and him being a cheap contract. Maybe he impresses at DE in situational spots/subbing for injury. The idea of Gipson at Sam is as dumb as people who wanted Charles Tillman to just "move to safety" because he's slow and on the wrong side of 30...

Speaking of 4-2-5, Der Flus runs it almost 80% of the time. Starting Nickel is.....?

Yeah Dennehy and I have had this debate on Gipson. Since we play nickel 75% of the time he can easily rotate at DE in nickel. That also means your SLB is basically just a backup and doing the math on how much trams run in base versus pass you are looking at something like 6 coverage snaps a game for your SLB mostly playing zone. Think he can survive fine doing that.

As for nickel, Jackson starting playing more nickel at the end of the season in more of a star role. So think he should play nickel in big nickel setd where you anticipate a possible run and then you can rotate Graham in at nickel on downs you anticipate pass. Jackson seems to be a bit more disciplined when he is closer to the line probably because he is operating in less space to free lance and has less decisions in terms of coverage.

Hutch1975

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Brewers
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Edmonton Oilers
  1. Brigham Young Cougars
Yeah Dennehy and I have had this debate on Gipson. Since we play nickel 75% of the time he can easily rotate at DE in nickel. That also means your SLB is basically just a backup and doing the math on how much trams run in base versus pass you are looking at something like 6 coverage snaps a game for your SLB mostly playing zone. Think he can survive fine doing that.

As for nickel, Jackson starting playing more nickel at the end of the season in more of a star role. So think he should play nickel in big nickel setd where you anticipate a possible run and then you can rotate Graham in at nickel on downs you anticipate pass. Jackson seems to be a bit more disciplined when he is closer to the line probably because he is operating in less space to free lance and has less decisions in terms of coverage.

I see Gipson as a successor to Mack in the best-case scenario. Maybe he is more a solid DE vs. Mack's dominate status, but if you are in nickel a lot of the time, Gipson's a very good guy to have, and may even warrant trading Quinn for some draft capital this year.

If the Bears DO end up playing nickel 75% of the time, bringing Bruce Irvin back as your third "edge"/pass rusher coul dbe cheaper.

The question is, could Quinn net at least one second-round pick this year?

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
I don't think Laken Tomlinson is taking a 3 year deal. Rock solid/a top G in the league for the past 2 and change years. Does he get Andrew Norwell money (5 years, 66.5 mil)? Probably not. Do think he gets more than 27 mil over 3 years.

Hard pass on OBJ. That 14 mil could be much better spent on 2 WRs.

Gave you kudos on your last one and Nelson. Don't think Philly is letting him walk though. Easily a target.

I'd rather pay Ted Karras or Ben Jones or even Matt Paradis (Carolina has the cap to keep him, Tenn/NE don't for Jones/Karras) to be C and keep Whitehair at LG for a year. Probably cheaper/more reliable than Connor Williams.

Jason Peters isn't coming back to be a backup. Mentor? Maybe as a coach/consultant--I think fans put more stock in that shit than players/coaches--who are trying to win starting spots/pick the best guys for starting spots. Might as well pay him more than 15 an hour to be an offensive coach on the staff.

People have to stop this nonsense that Trevis Gipson, who's played his whole lifetime at edge rusher in HS, college, and so far in the NFL--can transition to Sam/a LB position that isn't an edge. Gipson probably is going to get cut because he doesn't fit the 4-2-5 scheme after he gets a year as a backup DE due to roster turnover and him being a cheap contract. Maybe he impresses at DE in situational spots/subbing for injury. The idea of Gipson at Sam is as dumb as people who wanted Charles Tillman to just "move to safety" because he's slow and on the wrong side of 30...

Speaking of 4-2-5, Der Flus runs it almost 80% of the time. Starting Nickel is.....?
Wait why can’t Gipson play DE ? Fuck the Sam linebacker idea but the guy is on a rookie deal and keeps getting better he has 2 years left on his rookie deal he doesn’t get cut period…. Cheap contract is exactly why he won’t be cut wtf is this nonsense it’s almost as bad as the people saying he can play a traditional linebacker role…

Hutch1975

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Brewers
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Edmonton Oilers
  1. Brigham Young Cougars
Makes no sense to cut Foles as then you eat the bulk of his cap hit and then have to replace him. Only real option would be to try and trade him.

Mack has been restructured a few times alread so not much more you can do with that contract. I refrained from restructuring the others because that pushes more money into the future for guys that I would probably prefer to cut or trade sooner rather than later. So you would be adding more dead cap.
I see that point. An NFL team could do a lot worse than Foles when it comes to QB2. But is he the best choice for QB2 and for Fields (and the Bears) in the long run, given who else is available in free agency? To me, the answer is no, and that's because we have Cam Newton and Marcus Mariota as free agents.

Honestly, I'd take the cap hit from releasing Foles if I can get Cam Newton as QB2. During his rookie deal and in his prime, Cam Newton was the best athlete on the field the vast majority of the games he played, just like Justin Fields arguably is right now. It makes sense to have Newton.

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Drake London, WR, USC
We have Mooney as the smaller vertical WR so this is about adding a Mike Evans bigger WR that can still stretch the field vertically while offering a bit more physicality especially from a YAC and run blocking perspective.

Quay Walker, LB, Georgia
While his draft profile projects more as a Will, he has the skills to be a modern day Mike backer. Excellent in coverage so can play in base and nickel but more importantly he is very good at block deconstruction as his scouting profile notes. That is a must at Mike and something Quan doesn’t provide hence why Quan is best suited for Will and Walker for the Mike spot. I was tempted to go with Winfrey here but felt we could survive at 3Tech with a combination of Blackson/Edwards/Mack whereas we really need another 3 down LB.

Akayleb Evans, CB, Missouri
I actually wanted to go IDL or IOL here but went with the BPA available. Despite already signing Nelson, Evans would be a steal here and the eventual heir apparent as the big and physical CB that can play Cover and Cover 3.

Chigoziem Okonkwo, TE, Maryland
Again was looking for IDL or IOL but in keeping with the BPA theme decided to get a pretty good TE prospect who unlike Kmet is a better fit as a move TE/H-Back who can get vertical and great at YAC. His comp is Njoku but I see him as a potential cross between Kyle J and Kittle which works for a Shanny type O.

Chris Paul, IOL, Tulsa
Definitely a little later than I would have linked but the value wasn’t there in the earlier rounds IMO. Plus already went a long way to address OL by signing 2 guards in FA. In any event Paul represents a development guard with some size and power.
Walker is more of a Sam… channing tindall is my choice for will linebacker. A simple correction I was talking about travon walker. I still stand by Channing tindall being the better choice over quay walker doe.

Last edited:

Zvbxrpl

Liked Posts:
Wait why can’t Gipson play DE ? Fuck the Sam linebacker idea but the guy is on a rookie deal and keeps getting better he has 2 years left on his rookie deal he doesn’t get cut period…. Cheap contract is exactly why he won’t be cut wtf is this nonsense it’s almost as bad as the people saying he can play a traditional linebacker role…
Can you read?

I said his cheap contract is why he stays this year. He’s never played 4 front/4-3 DE in HS, college, or his past 2 years in the nfl. It’s not as different as a Sam, but the position is different than 3/4 Joker/viper edge rusher and their responsibilities.

I expect him to get adequate playing time because Mack isn’t going to play a full season. Maybe he cuts it. If he doesn’t—he’ll be gone in a year.

Words are tough.

That also means your SLB is basically just a backup and doing the math on how much trams run in base versus pass you are looking at something like 6 coverage snaps a game for your SLB mostly playing zone. Think he can survive fine doing that.
So we’re giving him a moniker of Sam linebacker but he’s not a Sam—he’s a rotating DE?

1-31.jpg

wazzupi

Liked Posts:
Can you read?

I said his cheap contract is why he stays this year. He’s never played 4 front/4-3 DE in HS, college, or his past 2 years in the nfl. It’s not as different as a Sam, but the position is different than 3/4 Joker/viper edge rusher and their responsibilities.

I expect him to get adequate playing time because Mack isn’t going to play a full season. Maybe he cuts it. If he doesn’t—he’ll be gone in a year.

Words are tough.

So we’re giving him a moniker of Sam linebacker but he’s not a Sam—he’s a rotating DE?

1-31.jpg
“Gipson probably is going to get cut because he doesn't fit the 4-2-5 scheme after he gets a year as a backup DE due to roster turnover and him being a cheap contract.”
Can you read !?! Wtf

Gipson college years he played as a DE in a 3-4 but was undersized for a typical 3-4 end the way I see it he does have experience playing there or at least have the ability to translate to a 4-3 end….

dennehy

Liked Posts:
When a team plays in nickel or dime, that usually means that the EDGE player are essentially playing in a 4 man front, just like a 4-3. The Bears played nickel or dime over 70% of snaps last year.

Roquan is very likely going to play WILL, Bears will need MIKE and SAM for next year.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
I don't want OBJ on a team with a developing quarterback. The last thing you need in developing Fields is asking him to worry about keeping OBJ happy with targets instead of just making his reads and getting the ball where it needs to be on-time. The rest is cool, I'd call it a successful offseason. I appreciate the effort to put that all together @remydat. (y)

Last edited:

Chicagosports89

Liked Posts:
I see that point. An NFL team could do a lot worse than Foles when it comes to QB2. But is he the best choice for QB2 and for Fields (and the Bears) in the long run, given who else is available in free agency? To me, the answer is no, and that's because we have Cam Newton and Marcus Mariota as free agents.

Honestly, I'd take the cap hit from releasing Foles if I can get Cam Newton as QB2. During his rookie deal and in his prime, Cam Newton was the best athlete on the field the vast majority of the games he played, just like Justin Fields arguably is right now. It makes sense to have Newton.
Rather have Tyrod Taylor. He's better than Newton. He might be better than mariota and will be cheap. You could probably sign taylor for what you'd save cutting foles. Taylor could come in and run the same offense as fields if he gets hurt too.

Nelly

Liked Posts:
When a team plays in nickel or dime, that usually means that the EDGE player are essentially playing in a 4 man front, just like a 4-3. The Bears played nickel or dime over 70% of snaps last year.

Roquan is very likely going to play WILL, Bears will need MIKE and SAM for next year.
Do we know that Flus wants to run a 4-3 for sure?

dennehy

Liked Posts:
Do we know that Flus wants to run a 4-3 for sure?
Nah, but probably some, and he hasplayed nickel or dime close to 80% the last few years. The EDGE players are going to be in 4 man fronts the vast majority of the time.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I really hope they don’t go big in free agency.

There is nothing they can do in free agency that will make this team a Super Bowl contender next year. A lot of signings do nothing but hamper the team down the road with big cap hits and don’t have a big payoff.

Poles needs to:

1. Learn the roster and decide which of our free agents he needs to re-sign. (Daniels is the big one)

2. Nail the draft. (As much as he can with limited resources)

3. Hopefully get some good UDFA’s in the pipeline as there will be plenty of jobs to compete for.

4. Sign fee agents after the draft that are more of the one year types. Aim for younger vets on “prove it” deals.

5. Extend Quan.

The worst thing Poles can do is think he has to make a big “splash” this year. Take it slow. Don’t make big moves that will cost you down the road. Next year after he really knows the roster and has all his front office guys in place is the year for that big splash.

Hutch1975

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Brewers
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Edmonton Oilers
  1. Brigham Young Cougars
Rather have Tyrod Taylor. He's better than Newton. He might be better than mariota and will be cheap. You could probably sign taylor for what you'd save cutting foles. Taylor could come in and run the same offense as fields if he gets hurt too.
A good point.

Part of me thinking Newton was past performance and being that guy, but Taylor has been very good, if not a marquee guy.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I really hope they don’t go big in free agency.

There is nothing they can do in free agency that will make this team a Super Bowl contender next year. A lot of signings do nothing but hamper the team down the road with big cap hits and don’t have a big payoff.

Poles needs to:

1. Learn the roster and decide which of our free agents he needs to re-sign. (Daniels is the big one)

2. Nail the draft. (As much as he can with limited resources)

3. Hopefully get some good UDFA’s in the pipeline as there will be plenty of jobs to compete for.

4. Sign fee agents after the draft that are more of the one year types. Aim for younger vets on “prove it” deals.

5. Extend Quan.

The worst thing Poles can do is think he has to make a big “splash” this year. Take it slow. Don’t make big moves that will cost you down the road. Next year after he really knows the roster and has all his front office guys in place is the year for that big splash.
They are going to need to sign plenty of FA before the draft, because right now they have like 28 guys on the roster who are more than practice squad players. I agree that they shouldn't go big, except maybe for one OL. I think they will sign several guys to cheaper 2 or 3 year deals and a number of one year deals.

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
They are going to need to sign plenty of FA before the draft, because right now they have like 28 guys on the roster who are more than practice squad players. I agree that they shouldn't go big, except maybe for one OL. I think they will sign several guys to cheaper 2 or 3 year deals and a number of one year deals.
I would spend AFTER the draft when those don’t affect comp picks.

The guys before the draft always get overpaid and nothing done then will get this team to a Super Bowl this year.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
I would spend AFTER the draft when those don’t affect comp picks.

The guys before the draft always get overpaid and nothing done then will get this team to a Super Bowl this year.
There are tons of guys who sign cheap contracts before the draft. It's the first week or so where most of the big overpays happen.

If you want cheap guys, players who make under about $2.5mil average per year don't affect comp picks anyway, no matter when they are signed.

knoxville7

I have the stride of a gazelle
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Tennessee Volunteers
And like most mocks, we can now cross these guys off the list…do people ever get FA’s/draft pick mock guesses correct?!

I mean, I’m sure once in a blue moon…a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in a while

BaBaBlacksheep

Half Mod.
Staff member
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
There are tons of guys who sign cheap contracts before the draft. It's the first week or so where most of the big overpays happen.

If you want cheap guys, players who make under about $2.5mil average per year don't affect comp picks anyway, no matter when they are signed.
That’s fine. Affecting comp picks is my biggest issue. That and getting tied up with long term contracts for players that aren’t really worth it. The Bears seem to always fall for that trap.