Remydat Draft Thoughts

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Chris Harris and Amos had good years for us. Jackson was an All Pro at one point.

Jackson was a 4th rounder because he was drafted in the 4th round.
Yes I already said Amos. Ok Jackson had a good year. And then? K thanks!

The Big Grabowski

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
There are guys who make big jumps coming into the league. I thought that would be the case with Pickens because of his limited playing time. A lot of it depends on opportunity.

VJJ will be active on game day because of his special teams value. That means you can build packages specifically for him so he can contribute while he's developing. Year one he gets game experience and playmaking opportunities. Year two you look for maturation as a route runner and for him to step into a starting role.

He should have decent coaching at WR with Tolbert and Getsy. I'm really looking forward to seeing him on the field.

Last edited:

Diehardfan

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't watch a lot of college football so I'd never heard of Trestan Ebner. But after watching some film on him, if they can coach him up....he should be a matchup nightmare coming out of the backfield as a reciever. Speed, hands and open space always work if the QB can get him the ball.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I don't watch a lot of college football so I'd never heard of Trestan Ebner. But after watching some film on him, if they can coach him up....he should be a matchup nightmare coming out of the backfield as a reciever. Speed, hands and open space always work if the QB can get him the ball.
Will be scary with Mooney, Ebner, and Jones on the field together. Hopefully scaring defenses…

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
R2 (48) — S Jaquan Brisker, Penn State - I was not happy with this pick as I fundamentally do not like drafting S that high given you can easily find them throughout the draft and they are one of the cheapest positions to fill in FA. Having said that, I really was not fond of Pickens given his injury and character concerns and while I probably would have leaned Moore here, he was not one of my favorite picks. So preferences aside, the fact is Poles most likely got an instant starter for the D so in the end, this is just a difference of opinion on draft strategy.
You're arguing positional value here, not player value.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
I don’t think Jones is going to be a most-downs receiver (just like he wasn’t at Tennessee), so I think some of you guys may be disappointed.

The Sun-Times guys say his comp is Damiere Byrd (although I know some folks say Tarik Cohen). It sounds like he could be a nice change-of-pace gadget player who’s also a good piece on special teams, but I think anyone expecting him to be a good receiver may be disappointed.

Took him 6 years to get 300 yards receiving in a season, and he’s older than James Daniels and Darnell Mooney. Here’s to hoping his trend upwards continues and that Getsy uses him wisely.

Gordon and Brisker are plug-and-start, so I’m expecting good things there. Love that both of them simply do not allow chunk plays or touchdown catches. Bears need a secondary that doesn’t give up massive touchdown plays.

I admit I don’t know anything about the other picks late in the draft. Hope you guys are right about the edge rusher and the OLs.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
I also laughed at Baltimore for taking safety in round one. I just don’t value the position like that.
Baltimore has perhaps the best draft history over the past 25 years. Laughing at them is like making fun of a guy with a double doctorate because he's smart.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Am I the only person who doesn't see age 25 as an issue?

If you question Jones' production, that's fair. I by no means would imply there's no reason for concern.

But I have read 100 posts referencing his age like he's 35. Are people expecting a 21 year old WR would be with the team for 12-14 years and thus we'll only get 8-10 from the old man? That's a little crazy.

If the issue is he produced little in his time at TN, I get that. But why does everyone act like 25 is the cliff where players will fall off in terms of ability?
I tend to agree. My only issue with his age is that it’s a product of taking 6 years in college to do *anything* in the receiving game.

It took him 6 years to get 300 yards in a season. He wasn’t a most-downs player. I’m not sure the Bears even really see him as anything more than a potential special teams ace and change-of-pace gadget player whose hands you get the ball in every now and then.

There *is* something to age catching up quickly to speedsters. By the time Devin Hester was Velus Jones’ current age, he had 13 NFL touchdown, and only got 6 the entire rest of his career.

That said, we have no idea what time is doing or isn’t doing to Velus Jones’ legs. He hasn’t been going against NFL competition, so maybe it won’t be an issue. Heck, if he gets to the point where the Bears are thinking of giving him a second contract at age 29, that probably means it’s a good pick.

I don’t like the pick, but I think you’re right that we shouldn’t just rush to judgment on his age. It could end up being a non-factor for the next several years.

Canth

Liked Posts:
I don’t think Jones is going to be a most-downs receiver (just like he wasn’t at Tennessee), so I think some of you guys may be disappointed.

The Sun-Times guys say his comp is Damiere Byrd (although I know some folks say Tarik Cohen). It sounds like he could be a nice change-of-pace gadget player who’s also a good piece on special teams, but I think anyone expecting him to be a good receiver may be disappointed.

Took him 6 years to get 300 yards receiving in a season, and he’s older than James Daniels and Darnell Mooney. Here’s to hoping his trend upwards continues and that Getsy uses him wisely.

Gordon and Brisker are plug-and-start, so I’m expecting good things there. Love that both of them simply do not allow chunk plays or touchdown catches. Bears need a secondary that doesn’t give up massive touchdown plays.

I admit I don’t know anything about the other picks late in the draft. Hope you guys are right about the edge rusher and the OLs.

Yeah, I don't expect VJJ to be a starter this year and maybe not ever. I do expect him to be a solid contributor (WR3/4) to the offense and especially to the special teams. He strikes me as the kind of guy that you probably don't rely on for consistency, at least not this year, but he has the dynamic physical traits to make 1-2 splash plays a game that can really have a noticeable impact - either thru a return on special teams or breaking off on a YAC run.

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Yeah, I don't expect VJJ to be a starter this year and maybe not ever. I do expect him to be a solid contributor (WR3/4) to the offense and especially to the special teams. He strikes me as the kind of guy that you probably don't rely on for consistency, at least not this year, but he has the dynamic physical traits to make 1-2 splash plays a game that can really have a noticeable impact - either thru a return on special teams or breaking off on a YAC run.
Spot on—Completely agree

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Baltimore has perhaps the best draft history over the past 25 years. Laughing at them is like making fun of a guy with a double doctorate because he's smart.
While I think you can find safties later like Remi does, you don't pass up special if you feel strong about it. Game changers change games. I don't like to take Gs earl either but do you pass on Vg one that fell to round 2. I think part of this is that he's a SS and ball hawks tend to go sooner. 5 INTs and 14 PDs in 3 years.

Visionman

Liked Posts:
I think he will be on the field the great majority of the time we go 3 wide. Who else do we realistically have?

• Harold
Reactions: Myk

ThatGuyRyan

Dongbears is THE worst
Donator
Liked Posts:
Neither did 31 other teams which is why it was a terrible pick for rd 3.

Raskolnikov

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
So going into this draft, I was pretty gung ho about improving at WR and OL. So I can't say this is the draft I would have went with but perhaps it was the draft we needed. So let's get into each pick.

R2 (39) — CB Kyler Gordon, Washington - All the WRs I would have wanted here were gone and CB is a massive need so I was pretty content with this pick.

R2 (48) — S Jaquan Brisker, Penn State - I was not happy with this pick as I fundamentally do not like drafting S that high given you can easily find them throughout the draft and they are one of the cheapest positions to fill in FA. Having said that, I really was not fond of Pickens given his injury and character concerns and while I probably would have leaned Moore here, he was not one of my favorite picks. So preferences aside, the fact is Poles most likely got an instant starter for the D so in the end, this is just a difference of opinion on draft strategy.

R3 (71) — WR Velus Jones Jr., Tennessee - Boy I did not like the idea of a 25 year old rookie and VJJ was not on my radar in the 3rd. So really hated this pick at first. However doing some digging, he was the 2nd fastest WR at the combine and more importantly at the Senior Bowl when in pads. He also led CFB in YAC so he fits a clear need. Part of Fields development is going to be learning to get the short stuff and part of selling him on that is going to be having goes like VJJ who can take the short stuff and consistently bang out 4-5 yards of RAC. So I expect VJJ to catch his fair share of slants and underneath routes and to also be able to go over the top if defenses try to cheat on the short stuff.

R5 (168) — T Braxton Jones, Southern Utah - I probably was looking at different OL prospects but thought this was a fine pick. He had ideal length and athleticism to play T and just needs to get stronger in his base as he is high cut. But perfect guy as a developmental T that can hopefully emerge as a starting caliber player that can compete if Jenkins or Borom

R5 (174) — EDGE Dominique Robinson, Miami (OH) - Think he is one of the steals of the draft for me as I mocked him quite a bit to us. Again he has ideal measurables for Edge and just needs coaching and experience. If he develops he also makes a Quinn trade more feasible.

R6 (186) — T Zachary Thomas, San Diego State- Again, I was probably leaning for another OL but this is another athletic tackle who I think fits as reliable back-up who can play both G and T but probably more of a guard at this level.

R6 (203) — RB Trestan Ebner, Baylor - Again this pick is all about saying to Fields take the checkdown if it is there and let your guys make a play. Ebner is really a WR playing RB so will be interesting to see how he is used by the Bears. I expect a 3rd RB role and some gadget plays at WR essentially filling the Cohen role. In other words, a solid contributor that can beat LBs and S on WR type routes out of the backfield.

R6 (207) — C Doug Kramer, Illinois - Not on my radar at all but this is Poles adding another athletic lottery ticket to the OL depth.

R7 (226) — T Ja'Tyre Carter, Southern University - Seems obvious that part of the strategy of acquiring more picks was to load up on OL in a draft that Poles indicated was deep at OL. And again Poles keeps going back to the athletic lineman well with the hopes that at least 2 of these 4 guys develops into a solid contributor in the NFL.

R7 (254) — S Elijah Hicks, California - Depth piece but remember when I said S can be found throughout the draft. Hicks is a solid two way safety prospect as not afraid to drop down and hit. He also has enough coverage skills to play in the slot so he is a versatile S prospect who will provide depth to the S position.

R7 (255) — P Trenton Gill, North Carolina State - Part of the beauty of adding all this picks was having the luxury of taking the punter with the 3rd best punt yardage in CFB last year. More importantly he gets better hang time on his punts than Punt God so less likely to out punt coverage teams.

So all in all certainly not how I would have approached the draft. In terms of players especially at the top of the draft I would give Poles a C+. However, in terms of how he went from having the first number of picks to tied for the most I would give him an A. He worked the draft to perfection in terms of accumulating picks and being able to then leverage all those picks to load up on OL and fix the P position cheaply. So I would say this draft averages out to about a B for me.
Thanks Remy.

I like the draft more now.

I don’t like Gordon for some reason, I have a bad feeling. I do like the PSU safety.

The rub for me there is how hard it is to find a corner that can play in this league. I think we spent a high pick for a corner with short arms. While on the other hand I think we got a very good starting safety in the same round, so that high value tactic can sometimes go both ways.

You reminded me I do really like both Jones and the Edge guy.

S, Edge, WR, Swing tackle

Even if none other pan out and Gordon flopped, that’s still a decent draft.

If the WR stars for 4 years I could care less about his age. They want money as soon as they are good anyway, and Fields needs the most ready guy.

Thanks for clarifying the running back selected.

Maybe it’s a great draft, but I’m gonna stand by my strongest opinion that we should have selected Matt Corral over Gordon.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
While I think you can find safties later like Remi does, you don't pass up special if you feel strong about it. Game changers change games. I don't like to take Gs earl either but do you pass on Vg one that fell to round 2. I think part of this is that he's a SS and ball hawks tend to go sooner. 5 INTs and 14 PDs in 3 years.
I don't disagree with the premise either at face value. SS and RG both but it's never a hard fast rule. Brisker can do alot of things very well. Something almost guarantee nobody has noticed in this thread is that he's never out of position on tape. He constantly takes throwing lanes away and forces the QB to either run and or go to another look. He does his job well.

Obviously, QBs at this level are more adept at going to their next look. But the ability to take away the first look in 3-5 step drop is still very important because it gives the pass rush more time to get home.

Here's another fun fact about both of the 2nd rounders: they have a combined ZERO penalties called on them throughout thier time in college.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
For some examples of Briskers ability to stay discipline and shut down passing lanes: this is a post draft video

rayer kay

Liked Posts:
Ok so there have been others than Mike Brown. Good talk.
Jackson is not even close to Brown. The guy had one good year and now is the most overpaid player in the leauge. His inconsistency and inability to tackle is probably good evidence of why he was picked in the 4th round. Guy literlly sat there and watched a player take 15 seconds to get up off the ground and run to the endzone. And he stood there watching. You see that stuff at AYSO games from 6 year olds.

Ed Reed, Polamalu, Brown, Taylor. They are difference makers. Amos is a perfect example of what you are talking about; good and servicable. But I think its a fad and cliche to think players that play Safety do not have the same type of range as other positions where you have bad players, good player, great players and stars and everything inbetween.