Reporter: Matt Patricia in danger of losing his players

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Reporter: Matt Patricia in danger of losing his players

http://theredzone.org/Blog-Descript...Matt-Patricia-in-danger-of-losing-his-players

Matt Patricia is in danger of losing his players.

This was the main observation from Carlos Monarrez of the Detroit Free Press from three days of minicamp this week. The Detroit Lions rookie coach wants things done his way. And his way means running as punishment. Lots and lots of running.

That’s not likely to endear him to his players, many of whom are experienced professionals who don’t need or care to be treated like junior varsity tryout players.

“These are true professionals,” rookie running back Kerryon Johnson said Tuesday while marveling at the talent level difference between college and NFL players. “These are grown men, 30, 35, 25.”

Patricia’s tactic smacked of amateurism, and even though it was generally downplayed as an innocuous slap on the wrist, I can guarantee you most players don’t care for it.

For one, it’s insulting at this level. For another, it’s a waste of time.

Imagine you’re a roster-bubble player and you’re having a good practice and ready for your next rep when Patricia decides to get mad and makes everyone run, thereby cancelling one of your reps. How exactly does that help anyone? The usual way players are corrected is they get chewed out by their position coaches.

Even former Lions coaches Jim Schwartz, who thought he was the smartest man in the room, and Jim Caldwell, who knew he was the smartest man in the room, didn’t punish players with running very often during minicamp or training camp.

The running, on its own, won’t lose players for Patricia. But you have to assume if he’s using these tactics in front of reporters, he could be using others privately that are equally distasteful to players.

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Opinion: Detroit Lions' Matt Patricia is in danger of losing his players

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2018/06/08/detroit-lions-matt-patricia/684073002/

This story has been updated to clarify a quote from Lions running back Kerryon Johnson.

636638163106921858-SI-20180605-ajw-ai5-11-3-.jpg

This was my main observation from three days of minicamp this week. The Detroit Lions’ rookie coach wants things done his way. And his way means running as punishment. Lots and lots of running.

That’s not likely to endear him to his players, many of who whom are experienced professionals who don’t need or care to be treated like junior varsity tryout players.

“These are true professionals,” rookie running back Kerryon Johnson said Tuesday while marveling at the talent level difference between college and NFL players. “These are grown men, 30, 35, 25.”

Patricia’s tactic smacked of amateurism and even though it was generally downplayed as an innocuous slap on the wrist, I can guarantee you most players don’t care for it.

For one, it’s insulting at this level.

For another, it’s a waste of time.

Imagine you’re a roster-bubble player and you’re having a good practice and ready for your next rep when Patricia decides to get mad and makes everyone run, thereby cancelling one of your reps. How exactly does that help anyone? The usual way players are corrected is they get chewed out by their position coaches.

Even Jim Schwartz (who thought he was the smartest man in the room) and Jim Caldwell (who knew he was the smartest man in the room) didn’t punish players with running very often during minicamp or training camp.

The running, on its own, won’t lose players for Patricia. But you have to assume if he’s using these tactics in front of reporters, he could be using others privately that are equally distasteful to players.

And don’t think I’m in favor of coddling modern-day pro athletes with inflated paychecks that match their egos. Hall of Fame linebacker Mike Singletary loved the old-school penance. I’m guessing Singletary probably also thought Bear Bryant was too soft on the Junction Boys.

But this is a different era, with restricted practice time teams need to use judiciously. Patricia needs to find a way to prove his point more efficiently, or else he runs the risk of alienating players before the season starts.

More observations from minicamp:

I miss Jim Caldwell

OK, that’s a little extreme. But Papa Coach definitely made some reporters nostalgic for the “check the report” days after Patricia’s constant flow of non-answers this week became increasingly frustrating.

Patricia gave few straightforward answers in all three of his prepractice morning news conferences. He offered almost no information on important topics like the national anthem, Ziggy Ansah’s health and contract situation, or Nick Bawden’s injury.

There will always be an information tug-of-war between reporters and coaches. But the lengths to which Patricia went to avoid answering even simple questions like how veterans are adjusting to his coaching style was perplexing and frustrating.

The Lions are trying to remake themselves into a replica of the New England Patriots as a battened-down, tightly run organization. Every week it seems something, or someone, gets altered. It’s almost a laughably silly idea to think what works for Bill Belichick in Foxborough would work for anyone in Allen Park.

QB battle

Matt Cassel is my leader in the clubhouse in the fight with Jake Rudock for the No. 2 quarterback spot. Cassel looked a little better than Rudock and took more second-team snaps. But it’s also clear that Patricia respects Cassel as an experienced veteran he trusts.

And that makes sense because if Matthew Stafford goes down, and Cassel or Rudock have to start or play significant minutes, wouldn’t you choose the guy who’s faced that situation before and still won 10 games and led his team to the playoffs?

But Stafford still looked miles ahead of both of his backups with his arm strength, touch and accuracy. Of course, that’s how he should look for what he’s getting paid and because he’s playing with the first-team offense.

AussieBear

i think players are mad at patricias belly, cause they realize matt cant even run..

TheWinman

2020 CCS Survivor Fantasy Football Champion
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Notre Dame Fighting Irish
A reporter overhears players bitching about having to run and decides to make it a story thinking the coach may lose his players. lmao Much ado about nothing.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Columnist thinks coach could lose players for making them (gasp) run

Posted by Mike Florio on June 9, 2018, 6:05 PM EDT​

AP

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...-could-lose-players-for-making-them-gasp-run/

Lions coach Matt Patricia’s short tenure has had some unexpected twists and turns. Now, even before the end of his first offseason program with the team, he’s facing his first locally-generated hot take.

A columnist in Detroit thinks Patricia could be in danger of losing his players, because (wait for it) he makes them run at practice as punishment for mistakes.

That’s the opening line, courtesy of Carlos Monarrez of the Detroit Free Press. “Matt Patricia is in danger of losing his players.”

Several paragraphs in, Monarrez uses a quote from rookie running back Kerryon Johnson that apparently was intended to reflect resentment with the tactic. “These are true professionals, Johnson said. “These are grown men, 30, 35, 25.”

The quote was later clarified to explain that Johnson was simply “marveling at the talent level difference between college and NFL players.” Which means he wasn’t complaining about the coach treating his players like something other than grown men. Which is what Monarrez surely hoped to imply.

Frankly, the quote should have been removed; the clarification makes the underlying take seem like even more of a stretch. Without it, however, the column would have come off as even kookier.

Patricia brings the longstanding New England culture of winning to Detroit. For a team that hasn’t won a playoff game since 1991 and that has never been to a Super Bowl, that can’t be a bad thing.

Of course, it’s fair to say that, if Patricia is too much of a taskmaster, the players will become alienated if the team continues to struggle. But if the Lions win, Patricia will be celebrated, not castigated.

That’s been the big gamble for most Bill Belichick lieutenants who strike out on their own. Belichick’s ways work only because they work. If pushing players too hard doesn’t translate to victories, the person doing the pushing quickly will be pushed out.

Still, if Monarrez was looking for an edgy opinion during the slow months, he should have at least added the caveat that, no matter his methods, Patricia will never lose his players if he wins games.

Sammich

Liked Posts:
The inner workings of this story seem to be all speculation and pretty irrelevant. I think we can move on unless something drastic happens.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Columnist thinks coach could lose players for making them (gasp) run

Posted by Mike Florio on June 9, 2018, 6:05 PM EDT​

AP

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.c...-could-lose-players-for-making-them-gasp-run/

Lions coach Matt Patricia’s short tenure has had some unexpected twists and turns. Now, even before the end of his first offseason program with the team, he’s facing his first locally-generated hot take.

A columnist in Detroit thinks Patricia could be in danger of losing his players, because (wait for it) he makes them run at practice as punishment for mistakes.

That’s the opening line, courtesy of Carlos Monarrez of the Detroit Free Press. “Matt Patricia is in danger of losing his players.”

Several paragraphs in, Monarrez uses a quote from rookie running back Kerryon Johnson that apparently was intended to reflect resentment with the tactic. “These are true professionals, Johnson said. “These are grown men, 30, 35, 25.”

The quote was later clarified to explain that Johnson was simply “marveling at the talent level difference between college and NFL players.” Which means he wasn’t complaining about the coach treating his players like something other than grown men. Which is what Monarrez surely hoped to imply.

Frankly, the quote should have been removed; the clarification makes the underlying take seem like even more of a stretch. Without it, however, the column would have come off as even kookier.

Patricia brings the longstanding New England culture of winning to Detroit. For a team that hasn’t won a playoff game since 1991 and that has never been to a Super Bowl, that can’t be a bad thing.

Of course, it’s fair to say that, if Patricia is too much of a taskmaster, the players will become alienated if the team continues to struggle. But if the Lions win, Patricia will be celebrated, not castigated.

That’s been the big gamble for most Bill Belichick lieutenants who strike out on their own. Belichick’s ways work only because they work. If pushing players too hard doesn’t translate to victories, the person doing the pushing quickly will be pushed out.

Still, if Monarrez was looking for an edgy opinion during the slow months, he should have at least added the caveat that, no matter his methods, Patricia will never lose his players if he wins games.

Cart and horse. Can't win as many games if you're not all on the same page. Don't really see how removing a lone rookie's comments, which no one in this thread has used as ammunition, changes an opinion piece by Carlos Monarrez of the Detroit Free Press. Remove the quote and nothing changes. The quote may be misattributed but a rookie RB would be the least influential opinion on this. Never carried much weight anyway.

As I said in the other thread. I'm less concerned with making them run and the possible repercussions, which are likely minor if real at all, than I am in the fact that Patricia feels the need to make them run. You'd think players would want to be especially conscientious of impressing their new HC since there is no history and they are playing for their jobs. The lack of positive motivation is greater concern.

PrideisBears

Jordan Sigler’s editor
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Right now i dont believe it to be a big issue but if Patricia can't keep his ego in check going foward we might have another McDaniel on our hands

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
We can hope. Even McDaniels did OK in he honeymoon phase but it wore thin.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I figured he lost him the minute he showed up to the league meeting dressed like he was taking his wife to the welcome luau at a Sandals all inclusive vacation in his dead, 6 inches taller, brother's kahkis.
NFL-class-photo-2018.jpeg

anotheridiot

Liked Posts:
Opinion: Detroit Lions' Matt Patricia is in danger of losing his MILLIONAIRES

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/nfl/lions/2018/06/08/detroit-lions-matt-patricia/684073002/

This story has been updated to clarify a quote from Lions running back Kerryon Johnson.

636638163106921858-SI-20180605-ajw-ai5-11-3-.jpg

This was my main observation from three days of minicamp this week. The Detroit Lions’ rookie coach wants things done his way. And his way means running as punishment. Lots and lots of running.

That’s not likely to endear him to his players, many of who whom are experienced professionals who don’t need or care to be treated like junior varsity tryout players.

Patricia’s tactic smacked of amateurism and even though it was generally downplayed as an innocuous slap on the wrist, I can guarantee you most players don’t care for it.

For one, it’s insulting at this level.

For another, it’s a waste of time.

Even Jim Schwartz (who thought he was the smartest man in the room) and Jim Caldwell (who knew he was the smartest man in the room) didn’t punish players with running very often during minicamp or training camp.

And don’t think I’m in favor of coddling modern-day pro athletes with inflated paychecks that match their egos. Hall of Fame linebacker Mike Singletary loved the old-school penance. I’m guessing Singletary probably also thought Bear Bryant was too soft on the Junction Boys.

But this is a different era, with restricted practice time teams need to use judiciously. Patricia needs to find a way to prove his point more efficiently, or else he runs the risk of alienating players before the season starts.

More observations from minicamp:

I miss Jim Caldwell

OK, that’s a little extreme. But Papa Coach definitely made some reporters nostalgic for the “check the report” days after Patricia’s constant flow of non-answers this week became increasingly frustrating.

Patricia gave few straightforward answers in all three of his prepractice morning news conferences. He offered almost no information on important topics like the national anthem, Ziggy Ansah’s health and contract situation, or Nick Bawden’s injury.

There will always be an information tug-of-war between reporters and coaches. But the lengths to which Patricia went to avoid answering even simple questions like how veterans are adjusting to his coaching style was perplexing and frustrating.

The Lions are trying to remake themselves into a replica of the New England Patriots as a battened-down, tightly run organization. Every week it seems something, or someone, gets altered. It’s almost a laughably silly idea to think what works for Bill Belichick in Foxborough would work for anyone in Allen Park.

QB battle

Matt Cassel is my leader in the clubhouse in the fight with Jake Rudock for the No. 2 quarterback spot. Cassel looked a little better than Rudock and took more second-team snaps. But it’s also clear that Patricia respects Cassel as an experienced veteran he trusts.

And that makes sense because if Matthew Stafford goes down, and Cassel or Rudock have to start or play significant minutes, wouldn’t you choose the guy who’s faced that situation before and still won 10 games and led his team to the playoffs?

But Stafford still looked miles ahead of both of his backups with his arm strength, touch and accuracy. Of course, that’s how he should look for what he’s getting paid and because he’s playing with the first-team offense.

FIXED.

Maybe the players that dont stand on the field for the anthem can run laps.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I wonder how many laps Patricia could run. Dude needs to work on motivation.
tenor.gif

TexasBearfan

Liked Posts:
journalism has turned into a collection of millennial drama queens...this is what happens when you don't spank them

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Cart and horse. Can't win as many games if you're not all on the same page. Don't really see how removing a lone rookie's comments, which no one in this thread has used as ammunition, changes an opinion piece by Carlos Monarrez of the Detroit Free Press. Remove the quote and nothing changes. The quote may be misattributed but a rookie RB would be the least influential opinion on this. Never carried much weight anyway.

As I said in the other thread. I'm less concerned with making them run and the possible repercussions, which are likely minor if real at all, than I am in the fact that Patricia feels the need to make them run. You'd think players would want to be especially conscientious of impressing their new HC since there is no history and they are playing for their jobs. The lack of positive motivation is greater concern.

snore

would you feel better if he stopped practice for tea and crumpets?

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Lions board too boring for you. I think you post more here than those boards do in total. You could be a giant there instead of the ant you are here.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Lions board too boring for you. I think you post more here than those boards do in total. You could be a giant there instead of the ant you are here.

That's because Lions fans even know their team will never win a playoff game