Rookie mini camp

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
My guess is that it is difficult to assess kicking mechanics from Div II game tape.

Once you have him in the building and are videoing him and having your kicking consultant work very closely with him some of these issues became more obvious.

Why invest time in fixing a kicker when you have better ones without the issues?

So let me get this straight. The Bears couldn't assess Bednarski's mechanics from college game tape and pre draft camp tape...they also couldn't tell if the flight of his FGs were straight or curvy from the game tape (must have been very grainy)...but they don't ask for a video of him kicking in practice or an audition tape...HUH??? i think even American Idol makes you send in a video prior to being on the show.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
So let me get this straight. The Bears couldn't assess Bednarski's mechanics from college game tape and pre draft camp tape...they also couldn't tell if the flight of his FGs were straight or curvy from the game tape (must have been very grainy)...but they don't ask for a video of him kicking in practice or an audition tape...HUH??? i think even American Idol makes you send in a video prior to being on the show.

They wanted a closer look at him. They probably saw some things they thought they could work with. Watching tape is the first step, the next is seeing how they respond to coaching. Whatever the case, he obviously didn't impress them in person. The idea that there is a cover up is hilarious.

And to answer your earlier question he had 2 field goals blocked in college, both in his senior year. He was 15-23 as a senior, and 25 of 27 as a junior.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
They wanted a closer look at him. They probably saw some things they thought they could work with. Watching tape is the first step, the next is seeing how they respond to coaching. Whatever the case, he obviously didn't impress them in person. The idea that there is a cover up is hilarious.

And to answer your earlier question he had 2 field goals blocked in college, both in his senior year. He was 15-23 as a senior, and 25 of 27 as a junior.

Thanks. Not sure why it was such an in-and-out process...seems like something an NFL team would do when the kicker unexpectedly gets hurt during the season and you need someone new by Sunday. Kind of hard to determine if someone "responds to coaching" in one day. I remember the youth football camps I went to as a kid were usually 3 days in length.

25 out of 27 is an impressive college season. Only 7 kickers in Div. 1 last year made more than 20.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Thanks. Not sure why it was such an in-and-out process...seems like something an NFL team would do when the kicker unexpectedly gets hurt during the season and you need someone new by Sunday. Kind of hard to determine if someone "responds to coaching" in one day. I remember the youth football camps I went to as a kid were usually 3 days in length.

25 out of 27 is an impressive college season. Only 7 kickers in Div. 1 last year made more than 20.

And 15-23 is unimpressive, and a sign of regression.

Ultimately none of us have enough information to make any kind of conclusions on these kickers. All we have a snapshots from reporters. The whole thing was seeing if anyone stood out, and what the criteria for standing out was is unknown to us, as is the results of the majority of what they actually did. Obviously the Bears saw more in Fry than they did in Bednarski.

I personally don't know anything about kicking. I can look at an offensive lineman and I know what he's supposed to be doing with his feet or his hands. I can tell if a receiver high points the ball or lets it into his body. I don't know what proper vs. improper technique looks like, or really anything else that is required of a kicker. Maybe you do, but arguing over these guys seems like a waste of arguing, because it seems unlikely any of them are the answer.

DaaBears

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
There is no defense for Pace on the kicker situation. So far it is nothing but an F- . I think people forget that our kickers prior to Parkey were horrible, and prior to that was ditching one of the best in the game. I have hope for some reason on the trade for the guy with the Raiders, at least more than the fiasco tryout the other day.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
There is no defense for Pace on the kicker situation. So far it is nothing but an F- . I think people forget that our kickers prior to Parkey were horrible, and prior to that was ditching one of the best in the game. I have hope for some reason on the trade for the guy with the Raiders, at least more than the fiasco tryout the other day.

Yes he has unequivocally failed at finding a kicker. Hopefully he learns from his mistakes and gets it right this time.

I know he's a thousand years old but if all else fails Matt Bryant is still out there. He was 20-21 last year.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
No doubt but you can at least understand the process. After the big deal (at the time) Gould got and being involved in the locker room disruption of the previous year along with looking like he lost his stroke, Pace didn't want to keep him while rebuilding. Gould had a bit of a self worth dick rep as well. He had missed part of the previous year and was at 83% over the last 2. He also missed everything including extra points that preseason. Pace signed and used Barth until he was ready for the next phase and hired a sure thing in Parkey coming off a 91% year and having been to a Pro Bowl. Now Parkey was never great but he looked to be viable kicker. All still a fail and we should have had somebody ready in the PS background training to be Barth's replacement.

Sounds like Fox may have had a hand in it as well. https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/c...ld-his-release-bears-it-was-performance-based

Gould also got a wake up call to revamp his craft and didn't join the Giants until he was ready for his come back.
https://www.sfchronicle.com/49ers/a...release-from-Bears-as-12396530.php?psid=3uL4R

Last edited:

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
And 15-23 is unimpressive, and a sign of regression.

Ultimately none of us have enough information to make any kind of conclusions on these kickers.

I personally don't know anything about kicking. I can look at an offensive lineman and I know what he's supposed to be doing with his feet or his hands. I can tell if a receiver high points the ball or lets it into his body. I don't know what proper vs. improper technique looks like, or really anything else that is required of a kicker. Maybe you do, but arguing over these guys seems like a waste of arguing, because it seems unlikely any of them are the answer.

Hard not to regress from 25-27. I guess if Bednarski was unimpressive in college, regressing, and had bad mechanics, why bother bringing him in for a tryout? Adds to the whole 'clown show' vibe.

I agree about not having enough information. I was told in this very thread that Fry was better than Bednarski. How? Why? The lack of information again adds to the 'clown show', and the 'cover up' of "we had tryouts, we picked the best guys...no more questions".

I don't understand the "maybe you do" part of your quote, when I've been upfront with my complete ignorance about this and continue to ask questions. I'm not sure how I've even implied any personal expertise when it comes to kicking mechanics. My main complaint is about the process itself, to which not even the most ardent Pace defender has addressed. Why the urgency? Why now? And so forth.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
Hard not to regress from 25-27. I guess if Bednarski was unimpressive in college, regressing, and had bad mechanics, why bother bringing him in for a tryout? Adds to the whole 'clown show' vibe.

I agree about not having enough information. I was told in this very thread that Fry was better than Bednarski. How? Why? The lack of information again adds to the 'clown show', and the 'cover up' of "we had tryouts, we picked the best guys...no more questions".

I don't understand the "maybe you do" part of your quote, when I've been upfront with my complete ignorance about this and continue to ask questions. I'm not sure how I've even implied any personal expertise when it comes to kicking mechanics. My main complaint is about the process itself, to which not even the most ardent Pace defender has addressed. Why the urgency? Why now? And so forth.

I just didn't want to assume one way or the other.

I would guess they brought Bednarski in because they saw his leg strength and maybe some raw talent they might have been able to work with.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
I would guess they brought Bednarski in because they saw his leg strength and maybe some raw talent they might have been able to work with.

I guess they made the distinction that Bednarski is 'uncoachable' in 24-48 hours? I guess its 'ironic' that the Bears have gone from being unable to evaluate kickers for the last 5 years, to now being able to evaluate kickers in one-two days. Big turnaround!

I wasn't a fan of Parkey, but I would have more confidence in him at this point than any of these knuckleheads Pace has brought in. Its odd that the Bears would essentially "eat" Parkey's contract just to get rid of him, and then bring in guys who are even worse. What is the point of that?

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
What was Fry's make/miss numbers? I haven't seen them yet.
Where is your proof on what the Bears did and didn't do when inviting kickers to camp, when looking and evaluating the kickers during camp and in eventually make decisions on who stays?

You expect Windy to answer everything as if he were there during every meeting and every kick during camp. You should have the same amount of information as him. He gave you what little information from the people there as to how he kicked and you want more. Provide it then.

Rory Sparrow

Liked Posts:
Where is your proof on what the Bears did and didn't do when inviting kickers to camp, when looking and evaluating the kickers during camp and in eventually make decisions on who stays?

You expect Windy to answer everything as if he were there during every meeting and every kick during camp. You should have the same amount of information as him. He gave you what little information from the people there as to how he kicked and you want more. Provide it then.

HUH???!!! That is exactly what I am asking for! All I've seen is that Bednarski was 3/3 while Redford Jones was 2/3. Windy says that Fry was better than Bednarski...why? How? Apparently I do have the same information as him...that's the whole problem.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
HUH???!!! That is exactly what I am asking for! All I've seen is that Bednarski was 3/3 while Redford Jones was 2/3. Windy says that Fry was better than Bednarski...why? How? Apparently I do have the same information as him...that's the whole problem.
Ok, provide it. Besides the 3 of 3 at the end of practice. How many did he make out of how many? How many of those were his fault? How did his kicks looks?

You expect Windy to answer these questions. Why don't you answer them?

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:
I guess they made the distinction that Bednarski is 'uncoachable' in 24-48 hours? I guess its 'ironic' that the Bears have gone from being unable to evaluate kickers for the last 5 years, to now being able to evaluate kickers in one-two days. Big turnaround!

I wasn't a fan of Parkey, but I would have more confidence in him at this point than any of these knuckleheads Pace has brought in. Its odd that the Bears would essentially "eat" Parkey's contract just to get rid of him, and then bring in guys who are even worse. What is the point of that?

I think they would have stuck with Parkey if he hadn't gone on his self-pity tour. Nagy clearly did not like that. He also didn't appreciate Bendarski doing celebratory back flips, so maybe that was part of it.

Obviously Pace has a terrible track record of evaluating kickers, so maybe the the tryout was to give the coaches a chance to evaluate these guys in person? They're probably not watching hours of kicker's game film, so Pace and his scouts do that, pick a bunch and let the coaches get a handle on them. And yes I think you can garner a lot from working with players in person that you can't get from film, even in a short amount of time.

I'm not sure why you're so focused on Bednarsky. Do you think he was the best option? And if so, why, and based on what? The fact that they went out and brought in another kicker after the try out tells me none of them were particularly impressive.

ZenBear34

Liked Posts:

The only information we have is that they kept Fry and Jones, who were both already under contract, presumably because the Bears saw something they liked on tape. The tryout was to see if anyone stood out. Obviously no one did, and obviously they're not set on Fry or Jones because they brought in another kicker almost immediately.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
You said he wasn't as good as Fry. I thought that was based on something.

Based on the reports of people who were there [Hoge and Jahns]

The same people that gave you your 3/3 number.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Penn State Nittany Lions
Ok, provide it. Besides the 3 of 3 at the end of practice. How many did he make out of how many? How many of those were his fault? How did his kicks looks?

You expect Windy to answer these questions. Why don't you answer them?

Almost thumbs downed because you are not even paying attention to what rory is saying. Your response is utterly baffling.

Please try harder.

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
No doubt but you can at least understand the process. After the big deal (at the time) Gould got and being involved in the locker room disruption of the previous year along with looking like he lost his stroke, Pace didn't want to keep him while rebuilding. Gould had a bit self worth dick rep as well. He had missed part of the previous year and was at 83% over the last 2. He also missed everything including extra points that preseason. Pace signed and used Barth until he was ready for the next phase and hired a sure thing in Parkey coming off a 91% year and having been to a Pro Bowl. Now Parkey was never great but he he looked to be viable kicker. All still a fail and we should have had somebody ready in the PS background training to be Barth's replacement.

Sounds like Fox may have had a hand in it as well. https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/c...ld-his-release-bears-it-was-performance-based

He also got a wake up call to revamp his craft and didn't join the Giants until he was ready for his come back.
https://www.sfchronicle.com/49ers/a...release-from-Bears-as-12396530.php?psid=3uL4R

No doubt? Tracking the context I believe you are referring to @DaaBears F - grade on Pace and the K position?

It's hard to tell when you don't quote who you are responding to, but your "understanding of the process" is merely saying it was time for Gould to go and Pace knew it. Fine, but it doesn't change the F - at all for me for two reasons:

1) Gould did turn around his mentality (maybe he could not possibly do so in CHI, maybe not. I for one don't believe everything I read in sports media)

2) Complete lack of ability to find the necessary replacement including the ridiculous contract to Parkey and the forced eating of it (second or third worst FA contract behind Glennon and maybe Simms)

Given all that, it seems silly to remind anyone how bad Gould wanted out and the fact he needed a revamping to his kicking. It mitigates absolutely zero in Pace's grade re: PK

Last edited:

Outlaw Josey Cutler

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
I think they would have stuck with Parkey if he hadn't gone on his self-pity tour. Nagy clearly did not like that. He also didn't appreciate Bendarski doing celebratory back flips, so maybe that was part of it.

Obviously Pace has a terrible track record of evaluating kickers, so maybe the the tryout was to give the coaches a chance to evaluate these guys in person? They're probably not watching hours of kicker's game film, so Pace and his scouts do that, pick a bunch and let the coaches get a handle on them. And yes I think you can garner a lot from working with players in person that you can't get from film, even in a short amount of time.

I'm not sure why you're so focused on Bednarsky. Do you think he was the best option? And if so, why, and based on what? The fact that they went out and brought in another kicker after the try out tells me none of them were particularly impressive.

I think they would have stuck with Parkey if he hadn't gone on his self-pity tour.

If true, then I am overjoyed he did it and would have contributed real fucking dollars to his gofundme for the airfare.

He also didn't appreciate Bendarski doing celebratory back flips

If true .... lmao at Nagy.