Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
He's not wrong. The Bears have like one solid WR and a good TE. That's it. Mooney has fallen off since his big year two seasons ago and no other WRs have stepped up. The RB room is fine, but not a single one of them are GREAT. Fields usually leads the rushing yards in most games.
Mooney is open a lot and not the problem. Kinda goes hand in hand with those extra Fields rushing yards. I also want Fields to ball out and distribute these last 5 games. He doesn't need to be perfect to stick but he needs to better at that. The OL is doing well now with only the C as less than good, we got our RBs all back and everyone is rested. Fields really doesn't have the excuses you want to give him. Of course we're not Miami but nobody is asking him to be Tua yet either. He needs to be better navigating the pocket and distributing midfield when NFL open.

Last edited:

pdxbearsfan

Liked Posts:
Most of us know about the Miami’s of the world. We know the Bears need more weapons. (Nabers… cough cough). The take I disagree with completely though is the people that think we need to have a Miami, or Philly or San Fran roster before we can evaluate Fields.
You're right we don't need those rosters to evaluate Fields. Just a few pieces on each side of the ball and decent
coaching. A center, 1-2 pass catchers, 1 more edge and Dl and we are competitive. JF would thrive.
If they get picks & players by keeping him and don't blow those transactions and JF isn't it there will be
another QB Jesus next year with a set up roster.

monkforasia

Liked Posts:
Most of us know about the Miami’s of the world. We know the Bears need more weapons. (Nabers… cough cough). The take I disagree with completely though is the people that think we need to have a Miami, or Philly or San Fran roster before we can evaluate Fields.
They need another wr if Mooney walks and they need a c...

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
If Roquan believes in him, then it’s definitely time to trade Fields

Toast88

Liked Posts:
Fields has had the deck stacked against him in unfair ways, but at this point, there’s enough talent around him that he should be able to consistently show more than he has if he’s a franchise quarterback.

Better coaching could probably get more out of him, but how much? And would it even be enough? It’s all academic.

I would expect Fields’ teammates and former teammates to have his back. He’s always seemed to be well liked in the locker room.

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Fields has had the deck stacked against him in unfair ways, but at this point, there’s enough talent around him that he should be able to consistently show more than he has if he’s a franchise quarterback.

Better coaching could probably get more out of him, but how much? And would it even be enough? It’s all academic.

I would expect Fields’ teammates and former teammates to have his back. He’s always seemed to be well liked in the locker room.
On the bolded, the biggest thing that better coaching would do would be to help give Fields options that help him make faster decisions. We have significant complaints as a fandom about how the plays are not designed well, nor do they open up the rest of the offense when other teams adjust. Let us look at the last game, vs the Vikings, as an example. Fields was under pressure all day, and Getsy calls in a single counter punch all game - screen option after screen option after screen option. When the announcers start to question the offensive strategy from the booth, that makes me feel like Troy Aikman would be a better OC than Getsy, and to me this becomes the primary problem on offense.

Better coaching at least gives Fields better options that work together. Imagine if our WR routes worked in combination so that Fields first and second read were designed to split a safety deep, or a linebacker in the flat? Imagine if the play was designed to let Fields move away from pressure, instead of stand in the pocket and take the hit to deliver the ball on time. For the game against the Vikings, there was hardly a playcall designed to punish the team for blitzing while covering the possibility of a screen.

Right now it looks like the defense does not have to play much of a guessing game with what any given play is trying to do, and when I try to put myself in Fields shoes here, I see that as making a big difference in how he performs. I imagine most QBs would genuinely freeze if they felt like the defense already knew what all your options are, and accounted for them.

doctorbear

Liked Posts:
Yes you can but you have the worst head coach in nfl history and one of the worst OC ever in bears history too. I don’t give a shit about fields. Probably should just move on if you get the number 1 pick. But bears really hold a masterclass in ruining quarterbacks.

Enasic

Who are the brain police?
Liked Posts:
Yes you can but you have the worst head coach in nfl history and one of the worst OC ever in bears history too. I don’t give a shit about fields. Probably should just move on if you get the number 1 pick. But bears really hold a masterclass in ruining quarterbacks.

Flus is not the worst HC in NFL history nor is Getsy the worst OC in Bears history. Neither is good, but no need to be overly dramatic.

94c4lt1

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Flus is not the worst HC in NFL history nor is Getsy the worst OC in Bears history. Neither is good, but no need to be overly dramatic.
Flus isn't the worst, but he's a close second. Abe Gibron had a winning percentage of 26.8% and Flus is at 31.8%. Not to mention Flus has some historically bad records he holds for blown games too.

Is that what we're going for here? Just be slightly better than the worst in history? lmfao

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Flus isn't the worst, but he's a close second. Abe Gibron had a winning percentage of 26.8% and Flus is at 31.8%. Not to mention Flus has some historically bad records he holds for blown games too.

Is that what we're going for here? Just be slightly better than the worst in history? lmfao

Pretty obvious last year was a complete tear down/tank year. Everyone’s winning percentage would be bad with that roster let’s be honest.

Again, he’s not good…but worst or among the worst in history? Not sure about that

94c4lt1

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Pretty obvious last year was a complete tear down/tank year. Everyone’s winning percentage would be bad with that roster let’s be honest.

Again, he’s not good…but worst or among the worst in history? Not sure about that
Two, count 'em, two assistants that he selected on his staff were fired for ahem "HR concerns" in one half of a season (they only lasted a season and a half). Has that happened before in the NFL?

What criteria do you associate with being 'among the worst in history' if it isn't win rate and historically poor judgment in staff selection?

Bust

Liked Posts:

since you grading win/loss pct. Zac Taylor of the Bengals was worse his first 2 years. I wager there were many a bengals fan calling for his firing.

WONDER WHAT CHANGED TO MAKE HIM LOOK LIKE A GENIUS?

HMMMMMMM

94c4lt1

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
since you grading win/loss pct. Zac Taylor of the Bengals was worse his first 2 years. I wager there were many a bengals fan calling for his firing.

WONDER WHAT CHANGED TO MAKE HIM LOOK LIKE A GENIUS?

HMMMMMMM

Doesn't seem like a genius to me:

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Two, count 'em, two assistants that he selected on his staff were fired for ahem "HR concerns" in one half of a season (they only lasted a season and a half). Has that happened before in the NFL?

What criteria do you associate with being 'among the worst in history' if it isn't win rate and historically poor judgment in staff selection?

Now we’re talking about assistant coaches? Who cares honestly?

94c4lt1

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Now we’re talking about assistant coaches? Who cares honestly?
Doesn't every team care about the assistant coaches? DCs, OCs, and on down are responsible for player development, scheme, playcalling, and a plethora of other invaluable activities. A head coach selects his assistants personally and who they select has a big impact on the team performance, player development, and culture created. It speaks to one's discernment if they can't get that right.

Enasic

Liked Posts:
Doesn't every team care about the assistant coaches? DCs, OCs, and on down are responsible for player development, scheme, playcalling, and a plethora of other invaluable activities. A head coach selects his assistants personally and who they select has a big impact on the team performance, player development, and culture created. It speaks to one's discernment if they can't get that right.

On the flip side you could say he deserves credit for firing them…a lot of coaches allow their assistants to be dicks

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
On the flip side you could say he deserves credit for firing them…a lot of coaches allow their assistants to be dicks
(Ahem) urban Meyer