Rose's Big Challenge

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Look. I like Derrick Rose. He resurrected the immediate future for the Bulls a few years ago. Big time star in Chicago. Great year in college. Everything was great. Nice story, right?

Now then........... Look Derrick. Realistically you haven't done shit for the Bulls the last two years. You have an ass-hole brother who pisses a lot of us off. You've watched a bunch of your teammates absolutely bust their asses to try and win something. All the while you sat, and sat, and sat. Now, the publicity wagon for the Bulls has all been out in spades talking about how hard you have worked, and how they need to play safe for your career.

I've listened and heard. Now, I am just tired of it all. I love Thibs like I loved Jerry Sloan. I love Gibson. I love Noah. I love Butler. I do not know about you. what I am saying Derrick that, as I see it, that you have pretty much became a guy worth probably over $100,000,000. easily. I do not begrudge you your money. Far from it. But............ IT IS TIME FOR YOU TO STEP UP!!

This team is at a crossroads, Derrick. It is a young yet veteran team that can add an impact star next year along with 3 excellent young players. But what this team NEEDS FROM YOU is something more than a physical update from the Bulls. The Bulls need you to say something like this:

" This is Derrick Rose. I am busting my ass to get myself on the court next year. I promise that the Bulls can expect me to do all that I can to win a championship next year." I will not stop until once again the championship banners wave in Chicago."

I just do not want another year like the last two. Frankly I want Rose to keep his ass on the basketball court next year. I want him to LEAD even if he is hurt. Noah certainly did it. Others have done it. Time for him to step up. He doesn't need to be a superstar. I WANT HIM TO PLAY!

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
Do you think Derrick decided he was going to suffer serious knee injuries? Impatience doesn't heal an injury faster, nor does it make sense for a player to come back at the end of a season when everyone is fully aligned with their team, and you're just figuring everything out again. Like Jordan coming back from his baseball career. He needed to start with the team in training camp, square one to consistently be effective as Mike again. That's just how it works, and playing it safe is better than losing Derrick for a 3rd straight year to re-injury.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Yeah, because Derrick wanted to tear his ACL and meniscus as well as miss two entire seasons of basketball. You make it sound like he had a choice.

Rackshaq

Liked Posts:
To the four posters immediately above me, THANK GOD for intelligent rational fans. You guys get it. Some of these fans act like he said hey knee why don't you give out on me so I can sit on the bench and watch everyone else run up and down the court playing the game that I have played my whole life, and love like no other. I swear I don't even argue with some of the idiots out there that truly no NOTHING of the game and are just brain dead. I told some of my co workers that I would not want them as my fans if I was going through what Rose has endured from his spoiled stupid fan base. Crying because he's not here to entertain ya'll because he is going through one of the most difficult injuries of his sport. people act like he twisted his ankle or something. And if one more person gives a story how he hurt his knee and is able to come back and play ball at the YMCA with his loser friends I'm going to snap. You are not playing 82 games against the competition he battles night in and night out. 200 to 300 pound 7ft players bumping and hacking you night after night. " The Hawk" is a idiot and should be banned for being stuck on stupid. Just dumb.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Do you think Derrick decided he was going to suffer serious knee injuries? Impatience doesn't heal an injury faster, nor does it make sense for a player to come back at the end of a season when everyone is fully aligned with their team, and you're just figuring everything out again. Like Jordan coming back from his baseball career. He needed to start with the team in training camp, square one to consistently be effective as Mike again. That's just how it works, and playing it safe is better than losing Derrick for a 3rd straight year to re-injury.

I just think that it is time that Rose lays things out there. He was medically cleared two years ago to play and didn't. Then there was the bullshit from his camp. Then he got hurt again this year and once again he didn't play the rest of the year. Somehow I see other great athletes come back from the same or similar injuries earlier than Derrick. Why?

What I am saying is that I do not want any more damn excuses from his camp. I want the guy to work has ass off to play. In other sports you see some of the players of a team(see Marshall working with the Bears receivers and RBS) owrking out with each other on their own. I want to see Rose earn his damn money. After the Bulls draft, let Derrick take the responsibilities of a leader and bring the new players in along with some of the vets and work out with them.

I think that the Bulls need Rose to succeed. I want them to demand it of him. No more excuses.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
you expect him to come back and play on a healing knee? for what? so he can shoot bad and turn it over? possibly re-injure his knee by coming back too soon?

i told yall this season was a waste of time back in January

no need to blame Derrick now

Tell that to Gibson. Tell that to Noah. tell that to Butler. Tell that to Thibs. They worked their asses off. Did Derrick? I don't know. The club is saying all of the politically correct things but what do they really think? I don't know.

I'm a bit of old school. I played hurt. Everyone did. It was expected. And I do not know what the truth is regarding Rose. But when team doctors tell the team and a player that he is clear to play, then he should play should he not? That didn't happen two years ago, did it?

All that I know is that when a guy misses two years in a row of action in a particular sport, he has to be climbing the wall to get in the game. IF he is going to miss, he should not be missing on the side of caution. IF there is, for example, a less than 20% chance of re-injuring himself, then HE SHOULD PLAY. IF he doesn't think so, then he should just quit and in the process give his money back(yeah like that'd happen:)

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
Tell that to Gibson. Tell that to Noah. tell that to Butler. Tell that to Thibs. They worked their asses off. Did Derrick? I don't know. The club is saying all of the politically correct things but what do they really think? I don't know.

I'm a bit of old school. I played hurt. Everyone did. It was expected. And I do not know what the truth is regarding Rose. But when team doctors tell the team and a player that he is clear to play, then he should play should he not? That didn't happen two years ago, did it?

All that I know is that when a guy misses two years in a row of action in a particular sport, he has to be climbing the wall to get in the game. IF he is going to miss, he should not be missing on the side of caution. IF there is, for example, a less than 20% chance of re-injuring himself, then HE SHOULD PLAY. IF he doesn't think so, then he should just quit and in the process give his money back(yeah like that'd happen:)

Derrick wasn't cleared to play this year....he was ruled out for the season the day after he got hurt and examined

he had a torn meniscus its not a injury you play on before its fully healed

you're acting as if this is some little nagging injury he chose to sit out the year with

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
I just think that it is time that Rose lays things out there. He was medically cleared two years ago to play and didn't. Then there was the bullshit from his camp. Then he got hurt again this year and once again he didn't play the rest of the year. Somehow I see other great athletes come back from the same or similar injuries earlier than Derrick. Why?

What I am saying is that I do not want any more damn excuses from his camp. I want the guy to work has ass off to play. In other sports you see some of the players of a team(see Marshall working with the Bears receivers and RBS) owrking out with each other on their own. I want to see Rose earn his damn money. After the Bulls draft, let Derrick take the responsibilities of a leader and bring the new players in along with some of the vets and work out with them.

I think that the Bulls need Rose to succeed. I want them to demand it of him. No more excuses.

Once again, ridiculous post. Being medically cleared is great but if Rose doesn't feel comfortable on it, he shouldn't play. I study physical therapy and the mental aspect of returning from such an injury is normally the hardest part and if the patient doesn't feel like he/she should play on it, they definitely shouldn't because it's their body and they understand it better than anyone. It wasn't like he was sitting on his ass at this point, he was still working out tirelessly and rehabbing the shit out of that knee to be ready and comfortable on it, it just took longer for him than most expect. What was the outcome? D Rose came back and looked like his old explosive self physically which was an extremely positive sign.

Then he suffered a freak injury and torn his menisicus which required surgery and a probably a period of immobilization which in itself, takes time to rehab from. So Rose would have had to let the wound heal, let the knee itself heal which involved little to no activity and walking with crutches for 6-8 weeks. It wasn't until late January that he was off his crutches and walking. In that time with his crutches, his knee was healing but the musculature in his entire lower body would have diminished with little activity and weight bearing. So he would have had to strengthen his entire lower body (lower back, glutes, quads, hammies and calves) back to an elite level, improve his range motion in his knee to pre-injury level, get back to being able run, jump and make those vicious cuts he makes, he would have needed to increase his proprioception (awareness of the orientation of body in space, doing a lot of this now) and then you have to get into basketball shape and doing full absketball activites. That will all take 6-8 months to get back to an elite level which puts his return to basketball around July/August.

Normally, it's not the fear of re-injury of the same structure during rehabilitation but rather returning to soon with a different weakness in your body because the athlete returned to soon leading to a different type and sometimes more severe injury.

Playing hurt and playing injured are two different things.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
To the four posters immediately above me, THANK GOD for intelligent rational fans. You guys get it. Some of these fans act like he said hey knee why don't you give out on me so I can sit on the bench and watch everyone else run up and down the court playing the game that I have played my whole life, and love like no other. I swear I don't even argue with some of the idiots out there that truly no NOTHING of the game and are just brain dead. I told some of my co workers that I would not want them as my fans if I was going through what Rose has endured from his spoiled stupid fan base. Crying because he's not here to entertain ya'll because he is going through one of the most difficult injuries of his sport. people act like he twisted his ankle or something. And if one more person gives a story how he hurt his knee and is able to come back and play ball at the YMCA with his loser friends I'm going to snap. You are not playing 82 games against the competition he battles night in and night out. 200 to 300 pound 7ft players bumping and hacking you night after night. " The Hawk" is a idiot and should be banned for being stuck on stupid. Just dumb.

Ban me? Hilarious. Why for saying that Rose need to work his ass off and to prove himself once more. Nothing less is acceptable. He is a multi-millionaire. He is set for life. He was medically cleared to play two years ago. Right or wrong? Why didn't he play? Why did he let that asshole of a brother of his speak for him and say that he shouldn't come back because the Bulls didn't give him any help?

So then, what would you say if Rose decides next year after a few games that he doesn't like how his knee feels and is going to sit again. Do you accept it once again even if the doctor clears him? How far do you go with it. That is what I am saying. He needs to prove himself once again. If he works his ass off and then fails, then fine. But show me something. That is all that I ask.

Until he does, I will admire guys like Gibson, Noah, and Butler. But that is just me. So......."RACKSHAQ" feel free to ignore my comments but I have been a big time Bulls fan a long, long, time and feel sorry for guys like you who cannot disagree with anyone without calling them Stupid. Grow up.

Guess, what. Ever hear of Adrian Peterson? what injury did he suffer? Just saying. Last that I heard, he runs against bigger, tougher, faster, and meaner SOBS that exist in the NBA. That is what leaders do, do they not? You say that Rose did the right thing. How do you know? And I am not saying that Rose ducked or anything. what I am saying is NO MORE EXCUSES. I want the guy to man up and lead this team. NO MORE EXCUSES.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks

I think that the correct question to ask of any player is can you help my team win. If he can't, then don't play him. If he can, he should play. I do not want to beat this to death because I know that what I asked isn't popular but......... can anyone remember in any sport when a team doctor clears a guy to play that he doesn't play? I can't. Now, if a player doesn't believe the team doctor, he is entirely correct to ask for a 2nd or even a 3rd opinion. Did he get one? I don't know, do you?

I must also say that I really do not have anything against Rose. No one knows what went down with his injuries and re-hab. But I think that the Bulls need an answer for what they have got in Rose and he HAS to produce both physically and mentally. He also is going to have to prove himself to Thibs and his team-mates. That is what he has to do.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
I think that the correct question to ask of any player is can you help my team win. If he can't, then don't play him. If he can, he should play. I do not want to beat this to death because I know that what I asked isn't popular but......... can anyone remember in any sport when a team doctor clears a guy to play that he doesn't play? I can't. Now, if a player doesn't believe the team doctor, he is entirely correct to ask for a 2nd or even a 3rd opinion. Did he get one? I don't know, do you?

I must also say that I really do not have anything against Rose. No one knows what went down with his injuries and re-hab. But I think that the Bulls need an answer for what they have got in Rose and he HAS to produce both physically and mentally. He also is going to have to prove himself to Thibs and his team-mates. That is what he has to do.

Mods, just delete this thread. This dude has no idea what he is talking about.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Derrick wasn't cleared to play this year....he was ruled out for the season the day after he got hurt and examined

he had a torn meniscus its not a injury you play on before its fully healed

you're acting as if this is some little nagging injury he chose to sit out the year with

I am not talking about treating this as a nagging little injury. It is a serious yet common injury to an athlete. two years ago, I had surgery for the same injury. I had it when I was 66 years old. Truth is that I was walking without a crutch or cane in three weeks, Running in two months and completely healed in less than a year. He had the best surgeons, best trainers, best facilities, you name it. He had his team doctors way that he was cleared to play some weeks before the play-offs started. He chose not to. After that, everyone gave him a pass. Stuff like.... derrick is a good kid. He knows his body. He knows when his body is healed. It is good that he didn't play and risk another injury. So he misses a complete season and an off-season. And then he gets hurt again on the other leg. Had not a thing to do with his other injury, though. That was bad luck

Rose sitting out this year was fine with me. Last year was not. Perhaps(just perhaps) he could have benefited from actual NBA games and actually helped his team in the play-offs. Perhaps he need full speed action back then. Perhaps he wouldn't have gotten injured this year if he had. We will never know.

Next year, the Bulls have a chance to win it all and all throughout the organization they have to go for it., including Rose. No excuses. Play your asses off, top to bottom.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
The funny part about Rose being cleared to play last season, was a decision that the front office and Rose made. The front office wanted to be conservative, because ACL tears are very difficult to recover from for a pro athlete, namely a player that has conditioned their body to play on hardwood.

Just give up. Rehashing something from last season is useless. Everyone acknowledges that Rose and the front office sent the media mixed signals which started a shit storm. I do a lot of engineering work, and when you have projects, some of them simply don't have deadlines. They are done when they are done. Despite this fact, people still ask for estimated dates, deadlines, etc, when all of that is not possible to give out. Yet, a few developers and engineers will make a calculated guess at when something will be complete, tell the audience that project-XYZ is on track to be done by date-ABC, and the audience, applying their selective hearing, ignores the facts and treats an estimate as a hard date. It's a difficult concept to grasp, not just in development, but also biologically speaking.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Oh, man. I know that coming back from an injury is tough. And there is doubt. But I do have a problem with someone who puts himself before his teammates. I had a problem with someone to take a position that they say it doesn't "feel right" and decides to put himself on the bench when he can help his teammates. That a pretty damn weak position I think.

For starters, do you think that it just MIGHT have given his team-mates a lift to see him on the court? The best player on the team comes back to help them? Would that not have helped THEIR CONFIDENCE and raise their level of play? As for the concept of proprioception, that was indeed interesting. Remember Willis Reed? Remember Larry Bird? Again I am not talking about this season. They were in the season and I could see him taking the season off.

You may not be disappointed in a player who could play but decides not to(Rose two years ago) but I am. It isn't that I think that he is a dog or something. I don't. I just think that he could have handled things a lot better. As the Bulls could have.

Crystallas

Three if by air
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bulls
His teammates were doing drills and practicing with him. They backed Rose up 100% because they saw firsthand that he was still building his strength and adjusting his game. Rose relies on athleticism, not fundamentals to perform. The history of the NBA shows that players like Rose have rushed back from ACLs(meaning a few doctors cleared them to play) and the history was on Rose's and the front office's side of the decision. It was a smart move, not an impatient move. You can cry about it, but momma ain't buying you that damn candy bar.

Axl Rose

and I knew the silence of the world
Liked Posts:
you had it when you were 66 years old? now i know why all your post have big text....you cant see :rofl:

no need to harp on what happened last year....we had plenty discussions about it already

dont worry Rose will be ready to go next year "#TheReturn Part 2: Lets Try This Again"

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Mods, just delete this thread. This dude has no idea what he is talking about.

Wow. What in the hell is wrong with you? Can't handle a simple discussion? Don't get your panties in a twist, honey. Its just opinion.

The Hawk

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
The funny part about Rose being cleared to play last season, was a decision that the front office and Rose made. The front office wanted to be conservative, because ACL tears are very difficult to recover from for a pro athlete, namely a player that has conditioned their body to play on hardwood.

Just give up. Rehashing something from last season is useless. Everyone acknowledges that Rose and the front office sent the media mixed signals which started a shit storm. I do a lot of engineering work, and when you have projects, some of them simply don't have deadlines. They are done when they are done. Despite this fact, people still ask for estimated dates, deadlines, etc, when all of that is not possible to give out. Yet, a few developers and engineers will make a calculated guess at when something will be complete, tell the audience that project-XYZ is on track to be done by date-ABC, and the audience, applying their selective hearing, ignores the facts and treats an estimate as a hard date. It's a difficult concept to grasp, not just in development, but also biologically speaking.

You're right. I'll let it die a natural death.