Roster cuts (including cuts across the league)

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If I'm Miami, I move him for whatever you can get. Not sure the point in keeping him unless the cap hit from the trade is worse than just cutting him

I'm sure @remydat can clarify for us

They save 1m by cutting so not an issue.

dennehy

Liked Posts:
They save 1m by cutting so not an issue.
It's actually almost a wash because he leaves $275k in dead money and the next guy to come up to the 53 is $895k, but the basic idea that it's not an issue is right.

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
Phins cut Sony Michel. They're loaded at RB.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
It's actually almost a wash because he leaves $275k in dead money and the next guy to come up to the 53 is $895k, but the basic idea that it's not an issue is right.

Just meant on his specific contract but yes nets against guy that replaces him in top 51.

J2hotnspicyy

Liked Posts:
Considering the amount of times Poles had a clear opening to sign a veteran, established wide receiver and didn't, I think it's got to be a part of his strategy at this point to try these young guys out. I don't think he wants to develop any one on their way out. And guys like Slayton, Preston, Laviska are all pretty good young prospects in a certain context, but not immensely separating themselves from the group of wide receivers the Bears currently have. Why Poles went and got N'Keal Harry over one of those other guys? Not sure. But think he wants to hold on to his picks and money and keep the WR core as is.

I've been eyeballing all offseason what stable presence they might bring to the WR roster, but think we're pretty much set and going to find out what this crew of guys are made of

Last edited:

dabears70

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. New York Knicks
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. New York Rangers
  1. Syracuse Orange
49ers cut Dohnovan West. This is a guy many on here had us taking with a mid-late round pick in mocks but went undrafted anyway.

Bronek

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Atlanta United FC
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Georgia Bulldogs
Considering the amount of times Poles had a clear opening to sign a veteran, established wide receiver and didn't, I think it's got to be a part of his strategy at this point to try these young guys out. I don't think he wants to develop any one on their way out. And guys like Slayton, Preston, Laviska are all pretty good young prospects in a certain context, but not immensely separating themselves from the group of wide receivers the Bears currently have. Why Poles went and got N'Keal Harry over one of those other guys? Not sure. But think he wants to hold on to his picks and money and keep the WR core as is. I've been eyeballing all offseason what stable presence they might bring to the WR roster, but think we're pretty much set and going to find out what this crew of guys are made of
We don't need wide receivers, we need both OL and DL help.

JoJoBoxer

Liked Posts:
Considering the amount of times Poles had a clear opening to sign a veteran, established wide receiver and didn't, I think it's got to be a part of his strategy at this point to try these young guys out. I don't think he wants to develop any one on their way out. And guys like Slayton, Preston, Laviska are all pretty good young prospects in a certain context, but not immensely separating themselves from the group of wide receivers the Bears currently have. Why Poles went and got N'Keal Harry over one of those other guys? Not sure. But think he wants to hold on to his picks and money and keep the WR core as is.

I've been eyeballing all offseason what stable presence they might bring to the WR roster, but think we're pretty much set and going to find out what this crew of guys are made of
My guess is that he wants to establish the run and, with that, the play action. A WR like Harry is one of the best blockers at WR, adding good blocking if and when he is on the field.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
Honestly I think you roll the dice with who the Bears have at wide receiver, at least at the top of the depth chart.

With everyone being hurt, you really haven't gotten a chance to see what everyone can do. And this offense seems very friendly to the quarterback and the wide receiver, so who knows what the guys they brought in can be in this offense?

I think they want to see more from Pringle and St Brown in the regular season. The third preseason game showed they have enough to move the ball down the field, so why not see where some of the younger guys can grow to - not unless some ridiculous player is made available via trade and I just wouldn't put slayton as that type of ridiculous player.
I completely agree. We ain’t winning the Súper bowl this year anyway. So why trade for anyone. Goal this year is to just get better and better each game. There will be hiccups. But pick up again and get better.

greg23

Liked Posts:
I completely agree. We ain’t winning the Súper bowl this year anyway. So why trade for anyone. Goal this year is to just get better and better each game. There will be hiccups. But pick up again and get better.

I think they're rolling with

Mooney
Pringle
Jones
ESB
Pettis
Harry (moved to IR)

Once they move Harry to IR; they're signing back Coulter/Sharpe or a FA cut by another team until Harry returns in Oct ish

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't see how my man Dieter makes the cut. Probably back on our PS but he looked good this pre. I could see a team that really needs depth at center taking a flyer on him for peanuts. Fortunately, they're all already trying to keep their own 53 so much more likely he's back.

dentfan

No gods! No Masters!
Liked Posts:
I think he picked N’keal Harry because of his blocking ability. It seems the only factor that differentiates him from the herd.

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Crazy to see teams move off and trade/cut 2nd and 3rd round picks from just a year or so ago....

Many on here were interested in Shenault, Mims (who is being tossed around as a trade option) and Lynn Bowden. I didnt want to draft him, but I think Bowden is certainly worth a waiver claim. Though I want to wait and see who else becomes available first.