Rusney Castillo linked to Cubs, White Sox, others

Shawon0Meter

PLAYOFFS?!?
Donator
Liked Posts:
http://js.mlblogs.com/2014/07/19/rusney-castillo-linked-to-cubs-white-sox-others/

Cuban outfield prospect Rusney Castillo has been compared to Brett Gardner.

Others see him as a player similar to Jacoby Ellsbury. One scout compared him to Kenny Lofton.

What’s certain is the 27-year-old prospect is training in Florida, he’s ready to sign and will likely join a Major League team soon after his showcase on July 26 at the University of Miami. Castillo, who left Cuba six months ago, established residency in Haiti and was cleared by the U.S. Government to sign with a team last week. The 5-ft-9, 185 pound outfielder has also been declared a free agent by Major League Baseball.

The Cubs, White Sox, Braves, Red Sox, and Giants are among the team to have expressed interest in Castillo, according to industry sources, but scouts and front office executives from every team are expected at his workout next weekend.

Here’s what we know: Castillo is a right-handed hitter with power, has plus-plus speed and is viewed by some as a line-drive hitter. Scouts also like his athleticism. He’ll have to start the season in the Minor Leagues, but there’s a belief that he could be in the big leagues by the end of the season. He’s expected to compete for a starting job in Spring Training.

Castillo is represented by Roc Nation Sports, a joint venture between Roc Nation and CAA Sports.

Liked Posts:
The Cubs could greatly use a guy like this.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Rather they focus on pitching IMO.

Liked Posts:
I just you tubed this guy. Very dynamic. He's short and has a thick build. I was surprised by his arm though. He hits to all fields too.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
I just you tubed this guy. Very dynamic. He's short and has a thick build. I was surprised by his arm though. He hits to all fields too.
Kinda built like kirby puckett, about same height too

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Why is it mutually exclusive?

Focus on pitching IE resource.

Arrieta right now is the only starter that you can sit back and feel decent about. They need more than just him.

Wood has lost his command. Jackson has not been good for 2 years now. Wada and Hendricks are?

Lester just tossed a shut out. I would offer him 20-22 mil per year to move to Wrig. Add to that I would eat Jackson's deal and sign a 2nd arm.

Sure stock piling bats is fine if you are looking for trade assets but that is resource taken up that could be used towards a legit pitching staff now.

This team is going to get good fast with Bryant and Baez in AAA. They should be looking to build around them.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Focus on pitching IE resource.

Arrieta right now is the only starter that you can sit back and feel decent about. They need more than just him.

Wood has lost his command. Jackson has not been good for 2 years now. Wada and Hendricks are?

Lester just tossed a shut out. I would offer him 20-22 mil per year to move to Wrig. Add to that I would eat Jackson's deal and sign a 2nd arm.

Sure stock piling bats is fine if you are looking for trade assets but that is resource taken up that could be used towards a legit pitching staff now.

This team is going to get good fast with Bryant and Baez in AAA. They should be looking to build around them.
I get what your saying but if this kid is legit and slots into CF next year then they could use Almora and maybe even Alcantara to net pitching

Liked Posts:
So, why is it mutually exclusive where Rusney Castillo is concerned? I understand your point and largely agree with it, especially where Castro and Rizzo are concerned. But that wouldn't preclude them from going after someone like Castillo. In fact, if they're going to give up assets for pitching, wouldn't it then make more sense to replenish the pipeline.

Boobaby1

Liked Posts:
So, why is it mutually exclusive where Rusney Castillo is concerned? I understand your point and largely agree with it, especially where Castro and Rizzo are concerned. But that wouldn't preclude them from going after someone like Castillo. In fact, if they're going to give up assets for pitching, wouldn't it then make more sense to replenish the pipeline.

Yes, it does make sense. Want to emulate the Cardinals? Then get the most talent available in the organization from anywhere, and everywhere.

There are no sure things, and the Cubs need trade bait and/or waves of talent that keep pushing players. Look what Oakland just gave up for a rental pitcher and a year and a half of Shark? Being able to trade without depleting the system makes a world of difference, and takes the sting out of losing a heralded prospect.

CSF77

Liked Posts:
Yes, it does make sense. Want to emulate the Cardinals? Then get the most talent available in the organization from anywhere, and everywhere.

There are no sure things, and the Cubs need trade bait and/or waves of talent that keep pushing players. Look what Oakland just gave up for a rental pitcher and a year and a half of Shark? Being able to trade without depleting the system makes a world of difference, and takes the sting out of losing a heralded prospect.

What they need to do is invest into proven pitching. Say they dump 30 mil into Castillo. That is 30 mil taken away from signing Lester.

What we do know is the Ricketts do run off of a strict budget. If they are going to use resource I feel better if it is used on play off proven TOR.

To be honest Shark wanted that kind of cash and he was never play off tested. Lester is and has a connection with Theo.

What they have been doing is buying filler to trade then signing projects. It is time to make a contender vs more projects.

Phase 1 is acquire talent. Phase 2 is putting a team together with acquiring talent as a back burner project.
They should be entering phase 2 not sitting on phase 1

Liked Posts:
What they need to do is invest into proven pitching. Say they dump 30 mil into Castillo. That is 30 mil taken away from signing Lester.

What we do know is the Ricketts do run off of a strict budget. If they are going to use resource I feel better if it is used on play off proven TOR.

To be honest Shark wanted that kind of cash and he was never play off tested. Lester is and has a connection with Theo.

What they have been doing is buying filler to trade then signing projects. It is time to make a contender vs more projects.

Phase 1 is acquire talent. Phase 2 is putting a team together with acquiring talent as a back burner project.

While I agree the Ricketts are duds as owners. And that's probably being nice. Think about what you're saying. If they're really as cheap as you're saying, they'll probably never pay long term for what they have coming through the pipeline. And if that's the case, what's the point of signing someone like Lester on the free agent market?

Personally I don't have a problem with them signing Lester but not if it means they wouldn't be able to sign a Baez and Bryant long term. I realize starting pitching is super expensive but I don't see Lester as a guy whose salary has a 2 in front of it. It really seems you have a hard on fir the guy and a shut out against an offensively challenged team, for some reason, sent you into orgasm.

JZsportsfan

Liked Posts:
Lester is probably going to get $125 M + and I'm not sure I see the Cubs paying that. This is the best year of his career and he is in his 30's .I think now is the time we have to see a large increase in payroll. Cubs need to sign some legit vets to be there when all these prospects come up. They are going to need leaders in the clubhouse. Sure there are guys like Rizzo already but I'm talking guys who have been on winning teams and bringing that over to the Cubs.

Castillo would be a good player to go after and the notion that it would keep them from getting pitching shouldn't be a problem or this rebuild is just going to fail anyways. The Cubs slashed payroll for years, now they have the pipeline and the Wrigley renovations in place, it's time for them to step it up like a top 5 market again

Bear Pride

Bears Gonna Shock the World!
Liked Posts:
Rather they focus on pitching IMO.

Pitching is the last thing the Cubs focus on. When they are ready to compete, they will sign two big FA pitchers at least.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:

And they said that would take 4 years. We're halfway into the 3rd year. It's pretty fuckin obvious to me the budget is part of the rebuild. Talk to the City and the roof top owners for slowing the renovation down. When it's time, the Cubs will spend big on Pitching, imo. And they'll trade some assets for others.

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
Lester is probably going to get $125 M + and I'm not sure I see the Cubs paying that. This is the best year of his career and he is in his 30's .I think now is the time we have to see a large increase in payroll. Cubs need to sign some legit vets to be there when all these prospects come up. They are going to need leaders in the clubhouse. Sure there are guys like Rizzo already but I'm talking guys who have been on winning teams and bringing that over to the Cubs.

Castillo would be a good player to go after and the notion that it would keep them from getting pitching shouldn't be a problem or this rebuild is just going to fail anyways. The Cubs slashed payroll for years, now they have the pipeline and the Wrigley renovations in place, it's time for them to step it up like a top 5 market again

Don't know why it's hard for people to understand this, myself. So far, the Cubs are doing EXACTLY what they said they were going to do. They are doing with a ton of people trying to make it difficult for them. And they still appear to be ahead of schedule.

Liked Posts:
Don't know why it's hard for people to understand this, myself. So far, the Cubs are doing EXACTLY what they said they were going to do. They are doing with a ton of people trying to make it difficult for them. And they still appear to be ahead of schedule.

Not true. The day Theo was hired, he said the goal was to win at the bug league level while developing the minor league system. Three years later it's, "wait until Baez/Bryant gets here".

Bear Pride

Liked Posts:
If you think that's true then I can't help you. You just can't read between the lines. Everything the Cubs have done is not about trying to win. Why do you think he trades away his best players every year before the trade deadline?