Team Ignore Member #2
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Detroit Pistons
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Are you suggesting Wilson makes the defense somewhere up to 9 spots better? I don't know how to respond to that.
And overpaying a QB because there are no equivalent or better available, is sort of a Bears/Cutler thing.

Not really cause Wilson is WAAAAAY better than Cutler. Bad comparison.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Without Wilson, the Seahawks may have missed the playoffs 2 out of the last three years thanks to that tough division.

This...

I think most people tend forget how good the Ds are in that division. 2 other teams in the division were in the top 10.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Not really cause Wilson is WAAAAAY better than Cutler. Bad comparison.
I'm not comparing Wilson to Cutler, I'm saying overpaying above average at elite level is fools gold. I have said before I don't think there is a better comparison to Wilson than Jim McMahon. Both had/have a knack for making clutch plays at any given time. Both were/are mediocre statistically. McMahon went 36-5 and 1 SB ring as a starter with the Bears from 1984 -1988, when the had a top 5 D in Pts and yards each year and a top 5 rush game in all but 1987. RW is 36-12 and 1 SB ring with similar support. No one, rightfully, ever thought of paying McMahon like Marino, Young, or Kelly.

No one is going to change anyones opinion on this matter so, I will leave it here, but the next couple years should likely will tell the tale.

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
I'm not comparing Wilson to Cutler, I'm saying overpaying above average at elite level is fools gold. I have said before I don't think there is a better comparison to Wilson than Jim McMahon. Both had/have a knack for making clutch plays at any given time. Both were/are mediocre statistically. McMahon went 36-5 and 1 SB ring as a starter with the Bears from 1984 -1988, when the had a top 5 D in Pts and yards each year and a top 5 rush game in all but 1987. RW is 36-12 and 1 SB ring with similar support. No one, rightfully, ever thought of paying McMahon like Marino, Young, or Kelly.

No one is going to change anyones opinion on this matter so, I will leave it here, but the next couple years should likely will tell the tale.

I said it in another thread and I'll reiterate. That is a bad comparison. The Bears D was still #1 without McMahon

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't think anyone is suggesting paying him Tomczak money.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Not a question for me. I think he should take the money and run to the bank. I think they settle at 22 or 23. Leverage is relative to how your team evaluates your importance. In the last post you said he's an idiot for not signing and now you're claiming he gains leverage by not doing so. As far as cap space is concerned, that's fluid. They can accelerate other bonuses to restructure that space as needed. James Carpenter and Kevin Williams are also going to need extensions so it's not just Wilson in vacuum either.

And as odd as it seems, both is true. I did not flip flop. My point is Wilson does have leverage to force a deal, but for him to turn down what has been offered is foolish. Anything in the 20 mil a year range in which he starts getting paid "this" year is still going to be more money overall should he sit out and try to force a deal next year. However, I was addressing others that suggest the team simply franchise him next year when I was talking about his leverage to force a deal THIS year.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Long story short, this deal will get done as it benefits both sides. Wilson will never hit FA, and will never get franchise tagged. I look for him to sign soon, with a huge signing bonus, his base salary this year will be around 5-6 mill, a signing bonus of 20-25 mil (this still puts 25 -31 mil in his pocket this year, as opposed to 1.5 mil) then the Seahawks will get creative with how they spread that signing bonus out over the books for the length of the contract, and his base will escalate substantially from year one to year two, and again in year three. The Seahawks only have a little less than 10 mill cap space, so unless they cut a player of significant cap savings, they can't do it any other way.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I don't think you get it. What is most likely is that he wants more per year because it will be an extension and he wants the contract to reflect him getting paid an average of low 20s starting now. It would take a contract significantly higher than what's offered to achieve that. Seattle can just wait him out instead of paying him that. The deal will get done when one side or the other compromises but Seattle is in the driver's seat here, not Wilson and depending on what you think the correct value is and how you feel about a hold out. There's room for either perspective but no one can force Seattle's hand here and Wilson has little in the way of leverage other than Seattle's desire for him to play. They can get him for the next 3 years at an average of around 16m per without him agreeing to anything. They have that long to iron something out. We can speculate about how Wilson will react or what the outcome will be but it's just that, speculation. I agree some deal will get done before the contract expires because, as you said, it does benefit both sides but it may take a while.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
I said it in another thread and I'll reiterate. That is a bad comparison. The Bears D was still #1 without McMahon
Oh, I forgot, you think RW raises the Seattle defense from borderline top 10 to #1 three years running. NVM

onebud34

Packer Fan
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Minnesota Twins
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Minnesota Wild
Oh, I forgot, you think RW raises the Seattle defense from borderline top 10 to #1 three years running. NVM

That is correct.

Unless Wilson has missed considerable time due to injury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I don't think you get it. What is most likely is that he wants more per year because it will be an extension and he wants the contract to reflect him getting paid an average of low 20s starting now. It would take a contract significantly higher than what's offered to achieve that.

I "get it" just fine. Paying him a starting salary of 20 mill a year starting "now' is not an option. Seattle has a little under 10 mill in cap space. The absolute best they could do is to pay him 11.5 mil this year, and that leaves them at exactly zero, which no team will do at this point of the season. If that what Wilson wants (and I don't think it is) he might as well start packing his bags for an extended vacation to the Bahamas' now. Unless of course Seattle wants to trade Richard Sherman for a 2016 draft pick. The only thing that matters ultimately is the guaranteed money and the signing bonus, everything else is just smoke and mirrors.

It would take a contract significantly higher than what's offered to achieve that.

And it will take an even more significant contract to make up for the revenue lost by not agreeing to a smaller raise but to start getting paid THIS year as opposed to next.

Seattle can just wait him out instead of paying him that.

Only at the risk of throwing away this year and have Wilson it out for 2015, only to have to face the same problem next year, and risk having to pay him 22-25 mill under the exclusive franchise tag. They can't force Wilson to play this year. So who has more to lose, a Wilson-less Seattle built for the superbowl now, or Wilson who would lose 1.5 mil this year by sitting out?
The deal will get done when one side or the other compromises but Seattle is in the driver's seat here, not Wilson and depending on what you think the correct value is and how you feel about a hold out

No, Seattle is not in the drivers seat. This not an Adrian Peterson situation where AP could lose tens of millions by not playing.
They can get him for the next 3 years at an average of around 16m per without him agreeing to anything.

I strongly suggest that you study up more on the franchise tag(s) how they work and such. Your figures are off, way off.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
If Jay Cutler can get 18 mil per year, Wilson can get 36 cause he's at least 100% better than Cutler.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
If Jay Cutler can get 18 mil per year, Wilson can get 36 cause he's at least 100% better than Cutler.

Then he would be equally overpaid.

And he isn't 100% better. He's smarter with the ball and less mistake-prone, with a bit less natural talent. I'd take him over Jay if the Bears had another great defense. But if we need to use these offensive weapons to win on that side of the ball I want someone more dynamic. Or at least someone who has shown he can win without the best defense in football to carry him.

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Then he would be equally overpaid.

And he isn't 100% better. He's smarter with the ball and less mistake-prone, with a bit less natural talent. I'd take him over Jay if the Bears had another great defense. But if we need to use these offensive weapons to win on that side of the ball I want someone more dynamic. Or at least someone who has shown he can win without the best defense in football to carry him.
maybe he's not 100% better. Probably more. You can overpay for a cancer like Cutler or you can overpay for a proven winner. Cutler's been given some of the best weapons only to prove he sucks regardless. Wilson hasn't had such good weapons but has surely made the very best of the crap he's been given.

I side with onebud too, a smart QB who can keep that offensive moving while also protecting the ball, will make any defense better. Most defenses crumble when your offense consistently turns the ball over and affords opponents advantageous field position.

bearmick

Captain Objectivity
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
maybe he's not 100% better. Probably more. You can overpay for a cancer like Cutler or you can overpay for a proven winner. Cutler's been given some of the best weapons only to prove he sucks regardless. Wilson hasn't had such good weapons but has surely made the very best of the crap he's been given.

I side with onebud too, a smart QB who can keep that offensive moving while also protecting the ball, will make any defense better. Most defenses crumble when your offense consistently turns the ball over and affords opponents advantageous field position.

Yeah but you can draft a game manager, you don't need to pay 21 million bucks for one.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
The franchise tag is not based on the average of the base salary's of the top five Qb's as some people seem to think. Under Article 10, Section 2 of the CBA, the number is based on the five-year average cap percentage for the tag at each position. This takes into account Signing bonus's and the ever increasing cap number.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/writer...e-tags-position-by-position-projected-numbers

and for 2016........read this:

https://www.reddit.com/r/nfl/comments/3737fz/why_is_the_qb_franchise_tag_price_projected_to_be/

Warrior Spirit

The Truth
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah but you can draft a game manager, you don't need to pay 21 million bucks for one.
Game managers don't win with shit weapons. Game managers don't turn an entire team around the second they suit up for that team. Game managers aren't offered 21 mil per year.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
I doubt most thought it had to do with base salary as it generally represents about 1/2 of earnings.