Russell's wife opens up about his alleged abuse

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
So if I'm following this correctly. Last year it was not Russell ex-wife, but a friend that made the accusation and that opened up a look in 2017 by the MLB. Now that Russell ex-wife posted a blog, MLB is looking into the claim again.

FirstTimer

v. 2.0: Fully Modded
Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Yeah the argument related to Maddon is odd(in terms of the narrative on sports radio this morning). Mully and Haugh are acting as though because Maddon didn't read the blog post that he's not aware of what Addison Russell is accused of. You really think he's not aware of that? His starting SS was just put on administrative leave by the team. I'm sure he's against anything Russell is accused of but he also is trying to manage a team and 40 personalities. He could be a bit less diplomatic and say something to the effect: "I didn't read the blog, but I am aware of the physical abuse accusations. I'm also aware Addison has denied them. They are obviously very serious and Addison has been suspended until the end of an investigation at which point hopefully it clarifies what occurred." I don't know. Something along those lines.

Last edited:

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
So if I'm following this correctly. Last year it was not Russell ex-wife, but a friend that made the accusation and that opened up a look in 2017 by the MLB. Now that Russell ex-wife posted a blog, MLB is looking into the claim again.

I thought it was Russell's wife both times?

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
I thought it was Russell's wife both times?

That iswhat I thought, but i could have sworn I read something about a friend going on one of the social media outlets putting it out there about Russell.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
That iswhat I thought, but i could have sworn I read something about a friend going on one of the social media outlets putting it out there about Russell.

Was it a friend/relative of Russell's wife that did it to stand up for her?

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
Blind squirrel, and such...

She made cheating accusations in an Instagram post last year and I think a friend of hers posted something in the comments about physical abuse.

Looking it up now.

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:
https://deadspin.com/blog-linked-from-addison-russell-s-ex-wife-s-instagram-1829217179

"In June 2017, the same Instagram account that posted yesterday’s blog published—and later deleted—a photo with a caption saying the author had been “cheated on, lied to, and disrespected.” On the same post, a person Reidy-Russell had identified as a close friend added a comment saying that Addison Russell had physically and emotionally abused Melisa."

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
From what I remember it was his ex-wife that made the initial allegation on IG. The babysitter/best friend followed it up with posts.

zack54attack

Bears
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. North Carolina Tar Heels
Not that the timing matters but I believe why Melissa posted this article now was because the divorce has officially been finalized.

chibears55

Liked Posts:
Last year it was a friend of the wife who mentioned it but MLB couldn't really do anything because the claim came from a 3rd party...

This year the wife made a blog stating what happened so now MLB can investigate..

I also saw this morning that now if im not mistaken someone from the team or part of the organization has stepped forward for the ex wife..
I couldn't read it all because it was from the Athletic and im not subscribed to it.

Edit: i just saw this

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sport...addison-russell-abuse-mlb-20180926-story.html

Bigfoot

CCS Enforcer
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '21
Liked Posts:
Last year it was a friend of the wife who mentioned it but MLB couldn't really do anything because the claim came from a 3rd party...

This year the wife made a blog stating what happened so now MLB can investigate..

I also saw this morning that now if im not mistaken someone from the team or part of the organization has stepped forward for the ex wife..
I couldn't read it all because it was from the Athletic and im not subscribed to it.

Thanks chi. Because 2017 was done by 3rd party MLB didnt look into the allegations? I just want to make sure I understand the situation. Thanks again chi

FirstTimer

Staff member
Donator
Liked Posts:

I couldn't read it all because it was from the Athletic and im not subscribed to it

Per Ken Rosenthal @ The Athletic:
https://theathletic.com/549159/2018...abuse-allegations-has-spoken-to-melisa-reidy/
Major​ League​ Baseball​ did​ not​ place​ Cubs shortstop Addison​ Russell on paid​ administrative​ leave​ solely because​ of a blog​​ post written by his former wife, Melisa Reidy.

The post alone would not have been enough for baseball to force Russell off the field under its joint domestic violence policy with the players’ union. The league had additional credible information, according to sources familiar with its investigation.

The league’s investigation includes interviews with Reidy and numerous other witnesses, and with officials gathering additional information since Russell went on leave, sources said."