Status
Not open for further replies.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
ESPN Chat from a non-Chicago baseball writer:
Bill (Dallas)

I'm having trouble understanding the market for Dempster -- is pitching really so tight that he is worth an A or A+ level prospect?

David Schoenfield
(1:44 PM)

Historically, no. So unless teams think they're trading for a No. 1 due to his recent performance, I think you're looking at a couple of B/B+ guys.
http://espn.go.com/sportsnation/chat/_/id/44576/sweetspot-schoenfield
The same chat suggests the Cubs could do better than Ryan Kalish from the Red Sox or Tyler Flowers, Eduardo Escobar and some minor league arms from the White Sox. Same chat suggested Turner could be in play for Dempster. The chat also suggested that the Cubs are holding out for one A guy like the Mets got last year with Beltran.

Last edited:

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
well with the marlins now dangling johnson the cubs better get him dealt quick as they will have to compete with a lot of available pitchers when it comes to garza

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I dont think the sox are looking at dempster. why? I dunno.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Tigers do get one of the competitive balance picks. The sixth pick in the second group which is after the second round. The Indians got the second pick in the second round.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
Group A picks goes Royals, Pirates, Diamondbacks, Orioles, Reds, and Marlins. These could definitely come into play with many of those teams looking to add this deadline.

Jntg4

Fire Forum Moderator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  2. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Fire
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Chicago State Cougars
  2. DePaul Blue Demons
  3. Illinois-Chicago Flames
  4. Loyola Ramblers
  5. Northern Illinois Huskies
  6. Northwestern Wildcats
That draft is fucking Special person, small market teams get extra picks, but some of those teams are actually good, they need financial help, not extra draft picks. The worst 10 teams by record should be the ones getting it if they insist on an extra draft pick system. Competitive balance my ass.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
That draft is fucking Special person, small market teams get extra picks, but some of those teams are actually good, they need financial help, not extra draft picks. The worst 10 teams by record should be the ones getting it if they insist on an extra draft pick system. Competitive balance my ass.

You could argue that the large market teams could just buy their way out of the cellar too. It's not a perfect system by any means.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
You could argue that the large market teams could just buy their way out of the cellar too. It's not a perfect system by any means.

And yet the Cardinals and Tigers were BOTH eligible for these extra picks. The Cardinals haven't been below the top 10 in spending but twice in the past 20 years... and currently rank 9th this year... and are looking to add more to it at the deadline! The Tigers are 5th this year, and also have not been below the top 10 since 2005-2006. Yeah, they're so financially desperate that they need extra picks...

It's another joke in terms of "evening the financial playing field". If a team is not supported by its fans enough to pay for high talent, then it doesn't deserve high talent... period. If a team can not muster up enough support to be competitive, then maybe that team needs to be moved or disbanded. If a team is owned by a person or group simply to gain profit... and has no intention of ever spending on payroll to the extent of being competitive... then that ownership should be forced to sell the team.

The last thing the MLB needs is to become as stale and boring as the NFL due to payroll constraints. You no longer have those Goliath teams in the NFL that everyone loved to love... or loved to hate. You don't have those out-of-nowhere teams that suddenly shock the world that everyone loves to follow for that year of success. Now, every NFL team looks the same, has the same level of talent... only the names and the ages/experience levels change. Any season, the previous year's worst team could turn into the most dominant team ever... and vice versa. Sorry, but the notion of equivalence in a non-competitive fashion only makes for a boring past time.

Rice Cube

World Series Dreaming
Donator
Liked Posts:
They need to set up a better audit system then to prevent teams from just siphoning revenue sharing money etc. Otherwise certain teams simply have no incentive to spend.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Im thinking he makes his next start. I think the amount of pitchers being available is making teams a little bit more picky.

2SeamHeat

I Know Nuffing!!!!!
Liked Posts:
They need to set up a better audit system then to prevent teams from just siphoning revenue sharing money etc. Otherwise certain teams simply have no incentive to spend.

I also think that if you're going to put in any kind of a system that rewards teams that supposedly have little income and refuse to pay out anything... yet punish the teams that actually support the league... then there needs to be a minimum amount a team has to spend on payroll. If they don't meet that, they lose 1st round draft picks.

Already, these teams typically end up being the worst around... and thus end up with top 5-8 picks almost every year. They've been giving up their top FAs whenever they reach that plateau, and getting draft pick compensation. They can still get draft pick compensation all for making a qualifying offer that they know most other teams would beat. So now, you're going to reward them AGAIN for failing to compete from a business aspect?

Anno Catuli

World Series Dreaming
Liked Posts:
I'd disagree Dew, he is still a top target that teams are looking at. He is pitching well and efficiently. He has proven that he is healthy, and I expect Friday he will be traded. Just a guess though.

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am starting to come more and more around to the notion that Dempster will pitch Friday because even if a deal is struck in the next 24 hours a lot has to happen. Dempster has to approve the deal and the Cubs might be sending a ton of cash in the deal which means Selig has to okay it.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
I am starting to come more and more around to the notion that Dempster will pitch Friday because even if a deal is struck in the next 24 hours a lot has to happen. Dempster has to approve the deal and the Cubs might be sending a ton of cash in the deal which means Selig has to okay it.

they can skip his start if something is being worked on.

Sent from my Fischs grocery store using Tapatalk

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
If a deal is agreed upon in the next 24 hours it is possible the Cubs would skip his turn, though it would be tough on the roster to get a spot starter up without another move.

DewsSox79

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
If a deal is agreed upon in the next 24 hours it is possible the Cubs would skip his turn, though it would be tough on the roster to get a spot starter up without another move.

short rest?

Sent from my Fischs grocery store using Tapatalk

dabynsky

Fringe Average Mod
Donator
Liked Posts:
BleacherNation is reporting that a Dempster trade is very close with two offers on the table. If you piece this together with the Offman rumors from earlier in the week than it would be LA and Detroit.

Status
Not open for further replies.