Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
LOL. I'm sure Leaf would have been so copasetic with sitting his rookie year.

If Justin Fields isn't hurt? Team was 500 with Badgent. Team had a losing overall record.

'IT' didn't happen to Leaf. HE happened to himself.

Last edited:

ChicagoBearsSinceBirth

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Milwaukee Brewers
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Illinois Fighting Illini
Behind Bagent or Tannehill?
In the interview he doesn't say who he should sit behind but he doesn't think that his game completely translates to the NFL because he was always skipping out of the pocket or something weird that's his opinion he thinks he's going to be good but he thinks he should sit here let's not forget even Patrick Mahomes Saturday but I'm not saying I agree with him I'm just saying it was interesting this came out because it was surprising to hear

gallagher

Nothing left to do but smile, smile, smile
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
I dont agree with the idea that he must. All rookies should be competing for playing time or they wont grow.

sevvy

Get rich, or try dying
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
In the interview he doesn't say who he should sit behind but he doesn't think that his game completely translates to the NFL because he was always skipping out of the pocket or something weird that's his opinion he thinks he's going to be good but he thinks he should sit here let's not forget even Patrick Mahomes Saturday but I'm not saying I agree with him I'm just saying it was interesting this came out because it was surprising to hear
Most of Williams "skipping out of the pocket" was due to his oline being 5 folding chairs lined up in front of him. There were times where he danced a bit, but most of it was out of necessity. I don't agree that his game won't translate to the NFL right away.

There will be an adjustment period, because the NFL is full of faster, stronger, smarter defenders. But the pocket awareness and agility, arm talent, ability to create, accuracy, feel for the game, etc. All of those things are going to translate to the NFL. He needs NFL reps. And the Bears don't have the luxury of sitting him for a year. I'm sure that's nice for some teams, but most teams can't do that with a #1 pick.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Holy run on sentence Batman!

Thanks for the cliff notes

Butkus34

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
During last season when we were hoping that Fields would makes major strides and ultimately didn't, fans started to look seriously at the upcoming draft and some of the qb prospects. I, like many others, started with the highlight videos. Caleb was wow, but also reminded us a lot of Fields with getting out of the pocket so people kept looking. Maye was wow the year before and then some concern but the highlights were very good, hey we could trade and get the haul and draft Maye. J Daniels splashed on the scene and his highlights were unbelievable.

Then the absolute reality set in that Fields just is not the guy. Everyone started taking deeper looks at the qb class and not just the highlights.

J Daniels reads half the field and scrambles when it is not necessary and when he does scramble, he runs the majority of the time.

Maye had amazing highlights, but showed major concerns with decisions and accuracy that was not talked about before.

Caleb has the amazing highlights, but then deeper looks at actual game film show a qb that is comfortable in the pocket, keeps his eyes down field, manipulates the pocket or scrambles to create better throw percentages and seldom runs the ball.
Caleb showed mastery of understanding his own offense as well as what the defense was trying to do pre and post snap.

All these assclowns that are talking shit on CW game not translating as well to the NFL are at the first stages that Bears fans were at and haven't progressed to actual multiple game film studies.

Canth

Liked Posts:
Leaf also showed with his one comment that he just doesn't believe in the Bears organization and I think that is also a part of what is driving his viewpoint that Williams should not play.

All these other media people, analysts, bloggers, etc talking how Williams is walking into probably the best situation of any #1 QB pick. And Leaf is just stuck in neutral bringing out tired old arguments about chicago based on previous regimes.

Canth

Liked Posts:
I also laugh at his 'analysis' that says 75% of what Caleb Williams does cannot translate to the NFL. Then other media people take that shit as gospel. All this while Leaf has shown zero examples on tape to back up any aspect of his statement.

nc0gnet0

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Will the Bears add a vet QB to their roster?
How much will/should CW play in the pre-season?

Much more interesting questions.

DefNextYear

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
How many top 5 picks have sat out the gate in the past 20 years? How many No. 1 overall picks? I think Eli did, right? I know Lance is an example of a top 5 guy. Feels like a very high percentage of QBs taken that high are thrown in the fire.

The point is kind of moot regardless cause there's no team that could take him and have a good enough QB ahead of him to hold him off. The world would be kicking down the door at HH to get Caleb out there. And honestly, I don't think Caleb even needs to be protected like that. He'll do fine learning from his mistakes.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
Sitting a year wouldn't' have helped Leaf. Staying another year in college may have. That's not even getting into his post career crap that may have been compounded by being the biggest flop in NFL history. He had issues beyond football just like Jamarcus Russell had issues.
BTW he DNP his second year and didn't come back any better.

Sitting a year behind Favre or Smith, maybe. Sitting a year just to take a fuck off year won't make personal issues better. In fact sitting a year with a million dollars and those personal issues will probably make them worse.

Now whether or not the Bears = Chargers in how they treated a QB is TBD. That is why I say if the Bears pass over an offensive BPA to take defense Williams should pull a Manning and demand a trade or not play in the NFL.
But that's not sitting a year with nobody to learn from, that's refusing to go to a team that won't do everything in their power to keep their #1 pick from busting. The Bears also have issues and may need that rock bottom hit to realize it.

Canth

Liked Posts:
I would also add that if you are going to talk to a QB from the 1998 draft and their viewpoint on whether to sit or play a talented rookie, talk to Manning. The actual successful QB from that draft. Manning has been very consistent over the years in saying you learn the most and the best from actually playing, not sitting on the bench.