Ryan leaf: caleb should sit a year

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
Will the Bears add a vet QB to their roster?
How much will/should CW play in the pre-season?

Much more interesting questions.
I think it would be beneficial to bring in a veteran QB. At least just for training camp and preseason.

He should play a lot in the preseason.

Myk

85in25
Liked Posts:
I think it would be beneficial to bring in a veteran QB. At least just for training camp and preseason.

We've seen how that plays out many times.
Bears get an overpriced washed up or never been vet. Vet gets all the reps in the offseason. Plays 3-5 games. Rookie goes in with a week of reps.

The only way that works is if the Bears start planning ahead and have a qualified about to retire QB in place who doesn't need all the reps and is able to play a season without being an incompetent boob.
And then the QB hater fans will need to stop trying to create a QB controversy because the media is pulling their puppet strings.

In this situation with this team history the best thing is to set the rookie up with a lot of vets around him on offense and give the rookie all the starter reps to train them to be an NFL starter all offseason.
Fans/media don't get anyone they hope will be better to call for with every mistake the rookie makes.

So far Poles seems to be doing right.

Canth

Liked Posts:

I have come to realize that the veteran QB idea is often overrated, especially in this situation.

The Bears have several coaches now in this new offensive coaching staff that are going to work with Williams - you have Shane Waldron (OC), Thomas Brown (Passing Game Coordinator), Kerry Joseph (QB coach), and Ryan Griffin (Asst. QB&WR) all carrying titles from OC to Assistant QB coach that have varying levels of NFL playing and coaching experience to give Williams all the coaching he may need.

I do not see how adding a likely journeyman QB to the mix adds much value of anything. That journeyman QB is also going to have to learn the offense and just takes away reps from Williams and/or Bagent. And worst case, it adds a voice to the mix that doesn't really help and just adds unneeded thoughts to your young QBs that you are trying to develop. I remember Fields commenting last year that there were too many voices and it made him robotic.

I go back to you have 4 coaches on this staff now that will have some hand in developing the QB position. If that is not enough or they don't know how to coach and develop a QB, then the bigger issue is you hired the wrong damn coaches and signing a journeyman qb doesn't fix that.

It would be different if Williams was joining an established offense with an established veteran that had been operating in that offense. In that scenario, there would more likely be something that Williams could learn and maybe you could consider slow playing it a little bit. But, that just isn't the case here. So imo, it's a waste of time and reps to not just acknowledge Williams will be the day 1 starter and give him all the reps with the 1's and maybe even some with the 2's.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
We've seen how that plays out many times.
Bears get an overpriced washed up or never been vet. Vet gets all the reps in the offseason. Plays 3-5 games. Rookie goes in with a week of reps.

The only way that works is if the Bears start planning ahead and have a qualified about to retire QB in place who doesn't need all the reps and is able to play a season without being an incompetent boob.
And then the QB hater fans will need to stop trying to create a QB controversy because the media is pulling their puppet strings.

In this situation with this team history the best thing is to set the rookie up with a lot of vets around him on offense and give the rookie all the starter reps to train them to be an NFL starter all offseason.
Fans/media don't get anyone they hope will be better to call for with every mistake the rookie makes.

So far Poles seems to be doing right.
I agree on everything. Get Kurt Warner over there! Haha.

Poles has done good as well. GMs don’t always get it right. There will be hits and misses. As long as the intention was right and those hits and misses are kept at a minimal.

IBleedBearsBlood

Liked Posts:
I have come to realize that the veteran QB idea is often overrated, especially in this situation.

The Bears have several coaches now in this new offensive coaching staff that are going to work with Williams - you have Shane Waldron (OC), Thomas Brown (Passing Game Coordinator), Kerry Joseph (QB coach), and Ryan Griffin (Asst. QB&WR) all carrying titles from OC to Assistant QB coach that have varying levels of NFL playing and coaching experience to give Williams all the coaching he may need.

I do not see how adding a likely journeyman QB to the mix adds much value of anything. That journeyman QB is also going to have to learn the offense and just takes away reps from Williams and/or Bagent. And worst case, it adds a voice to the mix that doesn't really help and just adds unneeded thoughts to your young QBs that you are trying to develop. I remember Fields commenting last year that there were too many voices and it made him robotic.

I go back to you have 4 coaches on this staff now that will have some hand in developing the QB position. If that is not enough or they don't know how to coach and develop a QB, then the bigger issue is you hired the wrong damn coaches and signing a journeyman qb doesn't fix that.

It would be different if Williams was joining an established offense with an established veteran that had been operating in that offense. In that scenario, there would more likely be something that Williams could learn and maybe you could consider slow playing it a little bit. But, that just isn't the case here. So imo, it's a waste of time and reps to not just acknowledge Williams will be the day 1 starter and give him all the reps with the 1's and maybe even some with the 2's.
I can see that as well. That’s valid. I honestly more meant it with the vet QB knowing he was just there to help in any way possible. So no reps for him. But might as well just bring him in as a a consultant. But if that was the case, I would want a successful vet to come. And a recently retired vet, not someone who played in the 8os. But yes, the coaches get paid to coach. And I’m trusting that Eberflus and Ryan hired good ones that can coach. After that, it’s all on the player.