Safety's in the draft?

Scooter27

Liked Posts:
In my opinion, if we need to improve one Possision the most, it's saftey.

Look at the way we've been trashed in the backfield the last two years, I'm talking BIG plays.... I Can't even name how many. But weekness at saftey even cost us a trip to the playoffs in 2013 (final game vs GB)

We need a stud young saftey, I'm sure he's not in free agency this year, Or in first two rounds of the draft.

But who is someone any of you guys have seen in college that might be a good choice, even a possible sleeper? I don't watch much college so I genneraly have no idea.

SouthSida773

Liked Posts:
Spell check failed here...

But I think Shaq Thompson is a sleeper pick.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Demarious Randall the best safety no one has heard about.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
lord...are we doing the Safety Dance again.....we need to stabilize this damn position.

Kekua Zombie

Liked Posts:
I hope we draft one in the third. It's always worked out in the past.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
This draft class is an epic fail at safety.

Developmental 4th round pick is about all we are going to get.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Wtf did I fail on!?

You didn't fail on anything his reference is to the lack of safety talent beyond Landon Collins. When the truth of the matter is the best safeties played in the Pac-12 last year but no one watches Pac-12 football so no one knows who these players are.

Wild_x_Card

Liked Posts:
Demarious Randall the best safety no one has heard about.

Is he better than Derron Smith who nobody else is talking about? From what I've seen he's the best true FS in this class but I hold no allegiance to ASU or Fresno ST. I will say both are similar in ways.

PolarBear

Liked Posts:
Been talking about Derron Smith for a while. Would be a solid 3rd round choice. True ball hawk.

RiDLer80

First time, long time.
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Miami Hurricanes
  2. Northern Illinois Huskies
Spell check failed here...

But I think Shaq Thompson is a sleeper pick.

He had to be moved to LB in college. Why would he be a viable option at safety in the NFL, because Mayock thinks so?

vabearsfan15

Liked Posts:
Good safties seem to be harder and harder to come by in the league. We are going to have to settle for a 3-5th round one to try and develop once again.

IMO, I think Anthony Harris from UVA is a very underrated Safety that is entering the draft. He seems to have good instincts and would be a good pick-up.

SouthSida773

Liked Posts:
He had to be moved to LB in college. Why would he be a viable option at safety in the NFL, because Mayock thinks so?

Nah not at all. I just think Shaq Thompson is worth a mid round pick. I know its his size people are concerned about and his true position too... But the man can play LB,S, RB just fine. Wherever he goes someone will get a steal if it happens after the 1st round.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Is he better than Derron Smith who nobody else is talking about? From what I've seen he's the best true FS in this class but I hold no allegiance to ASU or Fresno ST. I will say both are similar in ways.

Read up on what Matt Bowen had to say about him.

RisWell

Liked Posts:
Shaq hurt his stock big time. He should fall past the 2nd

Bear Nation

Liked Posts:
I've been saying for months that the best safety in this draft is Derron Smith. I think there is a 50/50 chance he is there with our early 3rd round pick but if we really see FS as a major need I wouldn't be opposed to grabbing him in the 2nd. He is a true ballhawk that can play the centerfield position. He is also a sure tackler who some analysts have compared to an Earl Thomas type.

rawdawg

Liked Posts:
Not a lot of FS talent in this draft at all. Damarious Randall and Derron Smith look like the only pure FS in this draft, but I have concerns about both of them. I think this is a good year to find a college CB to convert to FS.

Eric Rowe is the first name that comes to mind. He played FS at Utah, but moved to CB this year. He can cover, but seems a step slow to stay at CB in my opinion. Plus, he's very smart, rangy, and has good ball skills. He's also one of the best tacklers you'll ever seen in the defensive back 4. Missed 2 tackles this season. And he had 59 from the CB spot, which is a strong number. He doesn't put up big INT numbers, but broke up 13 passes.

Quinten Rollins, Jalen Collins, Ladarius Gunter, and maybe even Ifo Ekpre Olomu could be converted to FS. IEO would be a smaller one in the Earl Thomas mold, but he'd be tremendous with the ball in the air.

TL1961

Liked Posts:
In my opinion, if we need to improve one Possision the most, it's saftey.

Look at the way we've been trashed in the backfield the last two years, I'm talking BIG plays.... I Can't even name how many. But weekness at saftey even cost us a trip to the playoffs in 2013 (final game vs GB)

We need a stud young saftey, I'm sure he's not in free agency this year, Or in first two rounds of the draft.

But who is someone any of you guys have seen in college that might be a good choice, even a possible sleeper? I don't watch much college so I genneraly have no idea.

#StayInSchool

Pegger

President Stoopid
Liked Posts:
Safety is one of the toughest positions to judge because offences are so much more complicated that you have no idea if their instincts will be able to translate to the next level.

Add in that it's a position of need for so many teams that players naturally get pushed up draft boards.