Salary Cap Hits

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
If this is true, which I am guessing it is coming from Jahns, I don't understand why they structured Jay's deal this way.

they will have much more play next year because the cap hit will be much less.

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
There's not a lot of money after mediocre Cutler's massive contract? You don't say...

ss_101854843.jpg

120116-john-hurt-pres-release-16209.jpg

AHSIllini32

Liked Posts:
It really is not a lot simply because of the number of positions we need to fill.

I am expecting 2 things,

1. A lot of 1 year deals like we had last season (Williams, Anderson, Slauson etc)

2. Trade down in the draft to get 2-3 more picks and spending them on defense. Emery has talked about t every year, but now the need seems to be there for as many top 100 defensive talents as we can get.

Agree with what you're saying here. Also, remember some of those spots could be filled by guys like Onobun, CJ Wilson, Hurst, etc.

I don't know that we will have as many 1 year deals as last year but there will be a fair amount no doubt with the longer term deals going to, as modo said, "impact DL". I also think the hope is that, should we trade down like you expect and I agree with, some of those players drafted can take the place of those 1 year deal guys after their rookie years.

I will say that this has a bit anxious that we may see a team next year like we had this year where the offense is near the top of the league but that the defense still gives us some headaches and could prevent a playoff appearance or that injuries could really derail the season with enough quality backups.

EDIT: A few minutes after I posted this, someone created a thread with an article by Biggs about Cutler's contract giving the Bears flexibility and here's how:

According to multiple sources that have reviewed the contract, the Bears included an "automatic conversion" clause that allows the club to create salary-cap space as needed moving forward.

Cutler signed a $126.7 million, seven-year contract that includes $54 million guaranteed. His base salary for 2014 is $22.5 million, meaning his salary-cap number is identical. But the team can convert a portion of that base salary to a signing bonus at any time, money that would be prorated over the life of the contract, thus lowering his cap hit for this season.

That certainly helps ease my mind a bit going forward.

WindyCity

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Pompei

RT@DempseyDerrick Chances of bears signing a big name UFA on D? Or will they exclusively use draft?... My take:

I think the Bears will have one big bullet for free agency, and they will use it on a defensive playmaker. It's early to say that for sure because there are so many moving parts here--especially uncertainty about defensive scheme and coordinator, Julius Peppers' situation and Henry Melton's status. But my feeling is Phil Emery will want to bring in a proven playmaker for this defense, and he will find a way to do that. Doing that will enable him more flexibility in the draft, and it then will enable the coaching staff to be more patient with the development of some of the youngsters.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
Extending Brandon Marshall's $9-million dollar base salary would be a helpful way to clean up some more cap space.

R_Mac_1

Liked Posts:
Extending Brandon Marshall's $9-million dollar base salary would be a helpful way to clean up some more cap space.

I made this exact prediction earlier today on my super awesome blog. If you want proof that I was right you can find it here.

Just kidding.

Sent from my Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

PeppersSweater

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
How much money is Peppers guaranteed this year?

bears26

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. New York Mets
  1. Houston Rockets
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Oklahoma Sooners
Don't know that I see that many defensive playmakers worth a big contract imo.

Maybe Ward or Byrd. But they are only Safeties...

I don't either except for at the safety position like you mentioned. I would not give Bennett big time money. He plays on a Seahawks line that helps his stats.

BearsFan51

Liked Posts:
I don't either except for at the safety position like you mentioned. I would not give Bennett big time money. He plays on a Seahawks line that helps his stats.

Yeah I mean who wants a 26-year-old Greg Hardy with 15 sacks this year and 11 sacks last year on the roster? I mean he's only one of the best young pass rushers in the NFL in terms of total sacks, disruptions and hits on the QB. I don't see any reason the Bears would want to sign him.