Sam Smith Thinks Gordon Signs Short Term Deal

??? ??????

Liked Posts:
I believe that is likely the Bulls principal thinking regarding the future of Gordon. Because he can leave as a free agent without them having a chance to match salaries, they have to operate as if he won’t be around considering he rejected deals for two years. He did change his mind late last fall after the Bulls pulled the deal. Relations between the Bulls and Gordon’s camp are not great. I did hear Gordon on the radio here the other day say he’s not going to Europe. I think what he’ll likely end up doing is signing a short term deal somewhere with an opt out or maybe even a one year deal to get back in free agency next summer when there are more teams with cap space. The Bulls went into the offseason talking to their players about a priority of defense for next season. They’ve talked a long time about having bigger guards. Salmons may be best at small forward, but I think he can play shooting guard with no problem and should be able to fit with Deng. Now you have 6-3, 6-6 and 6-9 at the perimeter, which is a goal the Bulls have talked about for years. It would be a start toward a defensive mindset, which is another reason the odds seem less that Gordon will return.

http://www.nba.com/bulls/news/asksam_090612.html

That'll be disgusting if we sit here and watch Ben Gordon hoisting up the championship trophy with Lebron James next year.

I think a one year deal to Cleveland would be a good career move. He probably would win a championship next year while being heralded as Lebron's Pippen. Cavs have capspace next year, so they can reward Gordon with a big contract next offseason.

chi_hawks_23

Liked Posts:
How the hell are we going to "focus on defense" with Vinny at the helm? He comes from a Phoenix system with zero defense, and a year into being a head coach, it seems as though he could care less about the defensive side of things. That Bulls team last year was almost the exact same team that Skiles had (add Derrick Rose, subtract Ben Wallace) and they were arguably the best defensive team in the league in 06 and 07.

pinkizdead

Liked Posts:
chi_hawks_23 wrote:
How the hell are we going to "focus on defense" with Vinny at the helm? He comes from a Phoenix system with zero defense, and a year into being a head coach, it seems as though he could care less about the defensive side of things. That Bulls team last year was almost the exact same team that Skiles had (add Derrick Rose, subtract Ben Wallace) and they were arguably the best defensive team in the league in 06 and 07.

well that's why we're trading defensive liabilities like kirk and thabo. we dont need those kind of guys around. we need real defensive juggernautslike derick and tyrus.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
That'll be disgusting if we sit here and watch Ben Gordon hoisting up the championship trophy with Lebron James next year.

I think a one year deal to Cleveland would be a good career move. He probably would win a championship next year while being heralded as Lebron's Pippen. Cavs have capspace next year, so they can reward Gordon with a big contract next offseason.

The Cavs need more than BG to win a championship

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
Salmons may be best at small forward, but I think he can play shooting guard with no problem and should be able to fit with Deng. Now you have 6-3, 6-6 and 6-9 at the perimeter, which is a goal the Bulls have talked about for years. It would be a start toward a defensive mindset, which is another reason the odds seem less that Gordon will return.

Finally! Someone agrees with me concerning Salmons, no reason why he can't play the SG.

pinkizdead

Liked Posts:
houheffna wrote:

The Cavs need more than BG to win a championship

i agree

they need to get past the magic. they cant do that with small guards. they need someone who can generate their own shot as well as someone who can get easy shots. they have alot of perimeter players, they ought to pursue a post player.

pinkizdead

Liked Posts:
houheffna wrote:
Salmons may be best at small forward, but I think he can play shooting guard with no problem and should be able to fit with Deng. Now you have 6-3, 6-6 and 6-9 at the perimeter, which is a goal the Bulls have talked about for years. It would be a start toward a defensive mindset, which is another reason the odds seem less that Gordon will return.

Finally! Someone agrees with me concerning Salmons, no reason why he can't play the SG.

no one said he cant play the sg. i just believe that he's more effective at sf. the same is true about andre igg.

jsain360

Liked Posts:
I'm not one of Bens biggest supporters, but he should look for a 3yr deal, wether its w/ the Bulls or another team, the economy might be in better shape in 3yers

jsain360

Liked Posts:
??? ?????? wrote:
I believe that is likely the Bulls principal thinking regarding the future of Gordon. Because he can leave as a free agent without them having a chance to match salaries, they have to operate as if he won’t be around considering he rejected deals for two years. He did change his mind late last fall after the Bulls pulled the deal. Relations between the Bulls and Gordon’s camp are not great. I did hear Gordon on the radio here the other day say he’s not going to Europe. I think what he’ll likely end up doing is signing a short term deal somewhere with an opt out or maybe even a one year deal to get back in free agency next summer when there are more teams with cap space. The Bulls went into the offseason talking to their players about a priority of defense for next season. They’ve talked a long time about having bigger guards. Salmons may be best at small forward, but I think he can play shooting guard with no problem and should be able to fit with Deng. Now you have 6-3, 6-6 and 6-9 at the perimeter, which is a goal the Bulls have talked about for years. It would be a start toward a defensive mindset, which is another reason the odds seem less that Gordon will return.

http://www.nba.com/bulls/news/asksam_090612.html

They have a whole lot of undersized guards, they have to bigger in the back court to contend w/ Boston(w/a healthy KG) and Orlando, they need to get younger and more athletic in the front court, they also play too slow of a style w/ the players they have, Gordon would help a little but he wouldn't solve all their problems

dougthonus

Liked Posts:
I don't know how much Ben Gordon improves the Cavs. They have a lot of small guards who can shoot. They just aren't really lacking what gordon provides that much.

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
no one said he cant play the sg. i just believe that he's more effective at sf. the same is true about andre igg.

You would be surprised at the "Salmons played mostly SF" stuff I had to read the last few weeks. It just didn't make sense that people can see Gordon playing the position but not Salmons.

Fred

Liked Posts:
dougthonus wrote:
I don't know how much Ben Gordon improves the Cavs. They have a lot of small guards who can shoot. They just aren't really lacking what gordon provides that much.

True, they do have a lot of small guards who can shoot....just not too well when it matters most, as they proved so pathetically in the playoffs. (Despite being handed open jumper after open jumper by LeBron). Ben wouldn't have missed all those open jumpers that Delonte West and the great Mo Williams were missing. Ben's great at hitting open J's...he just hasn't seen many of them on the Bulls.

I think Ben would be scary paired with a decent post player. He's really never had that, with the exception of a few months with Curry in his rookie year.

AirP

Liked Posts:
Hate to butt into this thread... but what if Lebron were to shift to PF so Cleveland could have another talented scorer(a SF) on the court with him. Having a SF instead of PF out there with Lebron should help spread the floor even more and could create an even bigger mismatch for Lebron. Cleveland could go with a 3 guard offense with Lebron playing PF and with that... a guy like Gordon would help them greatly.

Diddy1122

I ain't your pal dickface
Liked Posts:
Fred wrote:
dougthonus wrote:

True, they do have a lot of small guards who can shoot....just not too well when it matters most, as they proved so pathetically in the playoffs. (Despite being handed open jumper after open jumper by LeBron). Ben wouldn't have missed all those open jumpers that Delonte West and the great Mo Williams were missing. Ben's great at hitting open J's...he just hasn't seen many of them on the Bulls.

I think Ben would be scary paired with a decent post player. He's really never had that, with the exception of a few months with Curry in his rookie year.

So say Ben does sign a short deal with the Cavs, does he start? And if he does, then who comes out of the starting lineup? The obvious choice would be West, but in doing so you're taking their best perimeter defender off the floor. Personally, I would turn Mo into the 6th man, because LeBron handles the ball 90% of the time anyway, so theres no real need for a PG out there & West can handle it when LeBron doesn't. Needless to say if BG went to the Cavs, they will win a ring.

But I'm hoping against hope that Gar Paxdorf makes the right decision & resigns BG & gets us the star low post player we desperately need.

SouL EateR

Liked Posts:
pinkizdead wrote:
chi_hawks_23 wrote:

well that's why we're trading defensive liabilities like kirk and thabo. we dont need those kind of guys around. we need real defensive juggernautslike derick and tyrus.
Your really off on your judgment of Tys defense,there are plenty of others on our team you could have mentioned before him.Its actually one of the things he does better imo ,hes not the greatest on man but his weak side defense is top 5 in the league ..He deserves more credit than you give him..151 blcks and 91 steals count for defense any way you look at it..

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
If anyone thinks Bens first priority is winning a ring over getting a big contract well thats absurd. He is all money, dont be fooled.

SouL EateR

Liked Posts:
Newskoolbulls wrote:
If anyone thinks Bens first priority is winning a ring over getting a big contract well thats absurd. He is all money, dont be fooled.
i agree thats why im thinking he may really be gone...

Newskoolbulls

Liked Posts:
SouL EateR wrote:
Newskoolbulls wrote:
i agree thats why im thinking he may really be gone...

Say Cavs offer him a full MLE for 5 yrs and Thunder offer him 60 mil for 5-6 years, what deal would he take? Give be a break. He is all money, all young players are. When players get older and have tons of money than they start looking to win a title and give up money.

SouL EateR

Liked Posts:
In my mind im already thinking of guys who we can get to take his place on the roster...

houheffna

Ignoring Idiots
Liked Posts:
Your really off on your judgment of Tys defense,there are plenty of others on our team you could have mentioned before him.Its actually one of the things he does better imo ,hes not the greatest on man but his weak side defense is top 5 in the league ..He deserves more credit than you give him..151 blcks and 91 steals count for defense any way you look at it..

He would be a top 5 help defender if he actually played smart. He doesn't know personnel well enough to know when to stay at home and when to go help, he gets burned to much to be top 5 in any area except playing dumb defensively.