Say Whaa!? Toews Smythe Bonus & the Cap

E Runs

Liked Posts:
TSN's James Duthie is reporting Toews earned a $1.3M bonus for winning the Conn Smythe and it will count against the Hawks Cap number next year.

Chief Walking Stick

Heeeh heeeeh he said POLES
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="E Runs"]TSN's James Duthie is reporting Toews earned a $1.3M bonus for winning the Conn Smythe and it will count against the Hawks Cap number next year.[/quote]

:think: :think: :think: :think: :think:

Uhhhhhh srsly?

Chief Walking Stick

Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="the canadian dream"]Duthies drunk.[/quote]

Isn't part of his rookie contract which he is in the last year of?

roshinaya

fnord
Donator
Liked Posts:
indeed, the bonus will count for next years cap. so there goes the extra 2mil. i don't care, they won the fucking cup.

also in other news, it's likely that both torch and haviland will be getting head coaching gigs next year. mike kitchen is said to be joining the coaching staff next season, he was an assistant to Q in his blues days.

Razzberry

Liked Posts:
Likely, but bonuses against the cap are just a terrible concept to begin with. Teams shouldn't be penalized for having phenomenal young players. Reward the player with extra cash, sure, but don't penalize the team.

phranchk

Liked Posts:
I always thought they had to account for all possible bonuses in this years cap.

gettinthere

Liked Posts:
[quote name="phranchk"]I always thought they had to account for all possible bonuses in this years cap.[/quote]

Trophy bonuses are normally taken out of current year cap, but if there isn't room it goes against the next season.

PatrickSharpRules

Liked Posts:
[quote name="gettinthere"]

Trophy bonuses are normally taken out of current year cap, but if there isn't room it goes against the next season.[/quote]

I really can't believe were gonna get penalized for doing well, thats such bullshit. God I hate the NHL, if it were for the best people playing, best sport and multiple other factors I wouldn't even think about supporting a league run so moronically.

gettinthere

Liked Posts:
[quote name="PatrickSharpRules"]

I really can't believe were gonna get penalized for doing well, thats such bullshit. God I hate the NHL, if it were for the best people playing, best sport and multiple other factors I wouldn't even think about supporting a league run so moronically.[/quote]

Bullshit or not, it's gonna happen.

E Runs

Liked Posts:
[quote name="gettinthere"]

Trophy bonuses are normally taken out of current year cap, but if there isn't room it goes against the next season.[/quote]

Yup, there's the rub. It's because the Hawks were against the Cap this season.

Larmer83

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="phranchk"]I always thought they had to account for all possible bonuses in this years cap.[/quote]

Yes they must account for bonus money but are allowed to exceed the cap by that bonus. The Hawks did so this year with Kane and Toews entry level contracts. By how much I'm not sure. Cap Geek does not have salary #'s posted for 2009-10.

FlaHawkFan

Liked Posts:
[quote name="E Runs"]

Yup, there's the rub. It's because the Hawks were against the Cap this season.[/quote]

I just saw this posted on another board and it looks to me as though a bonus for winning the Conn Smythe doesn't hit the cap, but what the hell do I know? Look in particular at the introductory paragraph, which says that bonuses paid under the provision are outside the cap.

http://www.nhlfa.com/CBA/cba_agreement36.asp

Chief Walking Stick

Donator
Liked Posts:
[quote name="pmxc12873"]And here is where we see how good Stanley Bowman is....[/quote]

Yep... at least we know papa bowmen is a 4 leaf clover no matter where he ends up. He wins EVERYWHERE... this will be his how many time on the Cup?

bierboy

Liked Posts:
[quote name="Stu Grimson"]

Yep... at least we know papa bowmen is a 4 leaf clover no matter where he ends up. He wins EVERYWHERE... this will be his how many time on the Cup?[/quote]

I thought I heard him says last night 12 before this one, but I could have been hallucinating by then...