SB Nation: Kyler Gordon the Superhero?

msadows

Liked Posts:
Oh he's "versatile" because they use him on the blitz and he made a couple of sacks in the preseason and has .5 a sack this year and zero interceptions.

Gee it wouldn't be the first time you overreacted to a mediocre player making plays in the preseason and making him your hero for the next three years and it being the hill you'll die on.

You get the minions all riled up in your defense cite his PFF coverage grade and away we go.

I'll say it again, Gordon is a wasted second round draft pick that is completely replaceable by a 4th round level pick or an average free agency signing. His impact is insignificant to the overall success of the defense.

He's AVERAGE on a good day.

Like that day D J. Moore picked off Tony Romo twice in one game.

Arent you the guy who said Jmarcus Webb would be the starting Right tackle for the bears in 2013?

Why should anyone read a single thing you type?

msadows

Liked Posts:
Hyperbolic af smh

This is like saying the bears moved from urlacher, to roquan, to edmunds so clearly middle linebackers are easy to find

Actually I think daniel has said that before.

He's a fucking idiot. Bears have had a wealth of talent at multiple positions the last 20-30 years on defense. That does not mean those positions are easy to find.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
The

The one where everyone lamented the loss of Bryce Callahan in free agency because of what he contributed to Vic Fangio's defense.

The one where D.J. Moore was the key nickel back in the Lovie Smith defense.

The one where the nickel back makes like 3 big plays a year and a couple tackles in run support and the Bears community showers praise on him for his greatness. Only he's replaced by the next DC that comes in and brings in his type of guy and we start the cycle all over again.
People lamented the loss of Bryce Callahan because he was an undrafted FA who worked his way up to a starter on the best defense in the league. Hard to imagine people would hate losing a guy like that.

You don't always have to be a contrarian.

msadows

Liked Posts:
People lamented the loss of Bryce Callahan because he was an undrafted FA who worked his way up to a starter on the best defense in the league. Hard to imagine people would hate losing a guy like that.

You don't always have to be a contrarian.

He also(when healthy) was one of the best slot corners in the NFL after leaving the bears. He had a 47.8 passer rating against in 2020.

Gustavus Adolphus

?‍♂️?
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '20
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Nebraska Cornhuskers
  2. Villanova Wildcats
He also(when healthy) was one of the best slot corners in the NFL after leaving the bears. He had a 47.8 passer rating against in 2020.
But he never felt like a great slot corner, and that's all that matters.

iueyedoc

Variant Also Negotiates
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Indiana Hoosiers
Every year we're talking about how irreplaceable the nickelback is in Chicago. And every year they find a new hero at the position.

The nickel on the Bears defense in on par with the training camp white hope wide receiver. DJ Moore Bryce Callahan I know I'm missing a few more off the top of my head.
Gordon has literally been the starting NB the last three seasons, you fucking moron.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
Imagine thinking that a slot corner is interchangeable in 2024.

Might be one of the dumbest takes daniel has had, and he's had a fuckton of stupid ones.
I’ll try to find the article that Belichik discussed how important a nickel corner is. Maybe it was Parcells?

gallagher

Ave Atque Vale
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
  1. Michigan Wolverines
  2. Ohio Bobcats
Gordon is such a weapon on defense and is possibly my favorite player on that side of the ball. The comments from Parcells really support the truth here - NB is a demanding position, which has to be able to cover a variety of assignments without the benefit from the sideline.

Considering that is targeted three to four times a game, I am not surprised about the lack of interceptions. It isn't like he is flooded with opportunities, so there aren't really a lot of floaters his way to pick off. If he gets the QB to hold onto the ball a second longer because he is in a good spot, all the better for the pass rush.

It really is all coming together on that side of the ball, and IMO only missing another stud pass rusher from being incredible.

DanielCCSBears

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
Hyperbolic af smh

"Kyler Gordon the Superhero?"

The Bears have the best CB in the NFL in Jaylon Johnson. Johnson has allowed one touchdown in his last 861 coverage snaps and we're talking about Gordon as a super hero. Fuck outta here.

bamainatlanta

You wake him up, you keep him up
Staff member
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '22
Liked Posts:
"Kyler Gordon the Superhero?"

The Bears have the best CB in the NFL in Jaylon Johnson. Johnson has allowed one touchdown in his last 861 coverage snaps and we're talking about Gordon as a super hero. Fuck outta here.
You do understand that the title is a joke right? Why does every thing have to be explained to you?

Spitta Andretti

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago White Sox
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Oh he's "versatile" because they use him on the blitz and he made a couple of sacks in the preseason and has .5 a sack this year and zero interceptions.

Gee it wouldn't be the first time you overreacted to a mediocre player making plays in the preseason and making him your hero for the next three years and it being the hill you'll die on.

You get the minions all riled up in your defense cite his PFF coverage grade and away we go.

I'll say it again, Gordon is a wasted second round draft pick that is completely replaceable by a 4th round level pick or an average free agency signing. His impact is insignificant to the overall success of the defense.

He's AVERAGE on a good day.

Like that day D J. Moore picked off Tony Romo twice in one game.

surprise surprise

in here making a fool of yourself some more

DanielCCSBears

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
You do understand that the title is a joke right? Why does every thing have to be explained to you?

That's nice. Dude wrote an article about Gordon having a good game. You picked this fight and now you're mad at me when I respond with examples of the nickelback getting love and adoration on this board over the last 15 years.

Again the best CB in the NFL is on the roster and he's playing at all time great level that is he sustains it will put him in Canton and we're talking about the guy who makes a couple of plays on the blitz and is aggressive in the run game.

Yeah I get it he makes a few plays that draw immense praise from fans and analysts. But his coverage grade is average. Therefore he's average which is precisely what I've been saying from the get go. He is AVERAGE and won't be retained in free agency if there's turnover on the coaching staff like you yourself have said you'd like to see.

So how exactly on the one hand can you laud Kyler Gordon while hoping that Eberflus fails enough to be fired because Gordon is probably the first guy to not be retained due to his lack of value and his overall cost to retain as a free agent in the next year.

Lastly as a second round pick that is providing the same value as a fourth round pick or a bargain defensive system free agent nickel it's yet another example of missing on a guy that probably could have helped to solidify the offensive line.

But yeah bro..... I'm the bad guy full of hyperbole. Yawn this is just silly.

DanielCCSBears

Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Bears
By your standards in this thread he's not even in the top 10

View attachment 41217
By my standards? You're just making up standards for me?

Johnson has allowed one touchdown in his last 861 coverage snaps. He's completely taken away the one side of the field.

Keenan Allen didn't have a catch against Johnson over the entirety of training camp as highlighted on Hard Knocks.

The dude is a fucking coverage God right now.