• Nagy - I am a Nagy stan so will ride or die with him until the end

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
He has been a coordinator for three games, after being a position coach for two years, and he should be focusing on that job. What in those three games shows you he is ready to be a HC?

He's already one of the least experienced coordinators in the league. Let him do it for at least a year before we crown him a HC candidate. He's kind of taken a similar pro career path as Nagy so far. Right now, It's more valuable to evaluate him as a DC.

Think you are looking at this the wrong way. The question is who is the better potential candidate for HC ie Lazor, Pettine, DeFillipo or Desai. If you don't have any of the other 3 as future HC then there is little value in making one of them interim HC.

My argument is simple. The O is a shit show so Lazor and DeFillipo need to focus on that which rules them out. Pettine is not HC material for me so that rules him out. So who is left or do you prefer one of those guys?

Last edited:

thenewguy

Liked Posts:
Think you are looking at this the wrong way. The question is who is the better potential candidate for HC ie Lazor, Pettine, DeFillipo or Desai. If you don't even any of the other 3 as future HC then there is little value in making one of them interim HC.

Or are you saying you prefer to stick with Nagy? Like who is the alternative you are putting forth and why is he better than Desai?
And I think you are looking at it the wrong way. Desai was barely qualified to be a DC. Nagy saw something in him and it is looking promising, that's a positive development so far. But it's been three games, and as I said in my earlier post, let's evaluate how he looks when the league and division get a chance to adjust to him. That is more valuable for the Bears future. Desai is not now, nor next year will be a serious candidate to be the Bears HC, but he could continue to be their DC.

If Nagy is fired, nobody on this staff is a serious candidate to be the next head coach, so let Desai audition for the only role he will actually be considered for, which is DC.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
And I think you are looking at it the wrong way. Desai was barely qualified to be a DC. Nagy saw something in him and it is looking promising, that's a positive development so far. But it's been three games, and as I said in my earlier post, let's evaluate how he looks when the league and division get a chance to adjust to him. That is more valuable for the Bears future. Desai is not now, nor next year will be a serious candidate to be the Bears HC, but he could continue to be their DC.

If Nagy is fired, nobody on this staff is a serious candidate to be the next head coach, so let Desai audition for the only role he will actually be considered for, which is DC.
That doesn't answer the question. If Nagy is fired, who are you replacing him with and why? Can we just get a simple answer? You haven't voted for any of the options so who are you going with?

modo

Based
Donator
Liked Posts:
I want to hear two sentences from Pace....

week 3...We have every confidence in Matt Nagy.

week 4...We thank Matt Nagy for his 3 plus years here.

bearsfan1977

Liked Posts:
There is one big hurdle for an early firing, Ryan Pace. He is tied to Nagy, once he fires Nagy, he knows he is firing himself.
Don’t think I agree with you there. Pace has been better at his job than Nagy, who is fast becoming the laughingstock of the league.

Plus, I feel ownership personally holds Pace in higher esteem than Nagy.

thenewguy

Liked Posts:
That doesn't answer the question. If Nagy is fired, who are you replacing him with and why? Can we just get a simple answer? You haven't voted for any of the options so who are you going with
Remy, take a beat and read.

I have answered your question and it was in a direct response to you

Pettine is perfect, because Desai and Lazor can focus on being coordinators. Desai needs to focus on that job. He is showing promise, but let's see what he looks like after playing division teams twice and they adjust to him.

To further my point, if Nagy is fired this season is an absolute loss and it doesn't really matter who is the HC. Lazor can focus on developing Fields, and the other young offensive players and we can see if Desai is a legit DC.

And a lot goes into being a HC. Game day roster management, additional press and engagement responsibilities, ultimate oversight of all three units, scheduling and practice coordination, player personnel decisions, injury management, and on and on. Pettine has done it and can manage these things. Putting all of that on Desai on top of being an underexperienced, first time coordinator, is bordering on negligent.

Now, since you love to pin someone down to answer a specific questions(one I had already answered), I'll ask you one again, what has Desai shown you that he can be successful doing all of that and being the DC? Can we just get a simple answer?

botfly10

CCS Donator
Donator
Liked Posts:
Funny how after the Rams people were dancing on his grave and blaming him for the players being stupid.

It seems clear now that the guy can coach. The Browns are the No 1 pass blocking OL and No 1 run blocking OL and for a decent part of the game, the Bears mauled them in the passing game.

If the D continues to play well, we may be looking at a Bradon Staley situation where a young from Bears D assistant takes ocer the reins of team with a 2nd year QB.

Still too early but one thing is for sure. Desai is already better than Pagano. Sorry @msadows.

Honestly I would fire Nagy and make Desai interim HC and Lazor OC. Let this be a season long audition for Desai for the permanent job.

I would prefer an HC that can run an offense. Good DC's seem way easier to come by. Any OC that even flashes seems to get an HC position.

DC

Minister of Archaic Titillations
Donator
Liked Posts:
I'd like to see
The issue with Lazor is dont think he is a long term solution as if the NFL thought he had HC potential he would already be one. So you would just waste this season trying out a guy that isnt really HC material. With Desai or DeFillipo I think you are talking a guy that was already a HC and one that is well regarded by multiple NFL coaches.

The bigger issue is I would want him solely focused on being the OC. Not convinced he would not be a disaster too trying to be head coach and OC. I think there are few guys that can juggle being HC and calling plays as just too much to do. I have less concern on the D side and with Desai since he isnt that far removed from doing all the detailed work that would be necessary to juggle a DC and HC dual role.
I believe that if Nagy were to get canned all of these guys would simply be placeholders. I bet we'll get a great candidate.

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Think you are looking at this the wrong way. The question is who is the better potential candidate for HC ie Lazor, Pettine, DeFillipo or Desai. If you don't have any of the other 3 as future HC then there is little value in making one of them interim HC.

My argument is simple. The O is a shit show so Lazor and DeFillipo need to focus on that which rules them out. Pettine is not HC material for me so that rules him out. So who is left or do you prefer one of those guys?
Dave Toub. Great ST coaches tend to make good HCs because they know both sides of the ball in a proactive manner.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Remy, take a beat and read.

I have answered your question and it was in a direct response to you

Pettine is perfect, because Desai and Lazor can focus on being coordinators. Desai needs to focus on that job. He is showing promise, but let's see what he looks like after playing division teams twice and they adjust to him.

To further my point, if Nagy is fired this season is an absolute loss and it doesn't really matter who is the HC. Lazor can focus on developing Fields, and the other young offensive players and we can see if Desai is a legit DC.

And a lot goes into being a HC. Game day roster management, additional press and engagement responsibilities, ultimate oversight of all three units, scheduling and practice coordination, player personnel decisions, injury management, and on and on. Pettine has done it and can manage these things. Putting all of that on Desai on top of being an underexperienced, first time coordinator, is bordering on negligent.

Now, since you love to pin someone down to answer a specific questions(one I had already answered), I'll ask you one again, what has Desai shown you that he can be successful doing all of that and being the DC? Can we just get a simple answer?

Pettine is not perfect because he has no future. If this season is a lost season then I would rather use it to evaluate Desai as a HC and DC. Pettine would be like playing Dalton over Fields the whole year. One is a known vet going nowhere and the other is a young well regarded guy who may or may not be ready. It is no more negligent than playing Fields so that bridge has been crossed already.

What has Desai shown me. He has shown that he can command the respect of players all of whom like him. He has shown that 4 separate Head Coaches believed in him. Quinn has already matched his sack total from last year and Desai has done it by doing something Pagano rarely did. Lining up Mack and Quinn on the same side of the field. He also has the attention to detail and organization that comes from being a QCA as that is long hourd and grueling unglamorous work.

All of that combined with the fact none of others have his upside makes Desai the caoching equivalent to Justin Fields and the rest Andy Dalton or Nick Foles.

Last edited:

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Dave Toub. Great ST coaches tend to make good HCs because they know both sides of the ball in a proactive manner.

Did I miss something as thought Toub was not on the Bears. I am talkig internal candidates for interim HC.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
I would prefer an HC that can run an offense. Good DC's seem way easier to come by. Any OC that even flashes seems to get an HC position.

I do as well but no HC candidate is on the roster right now that is an OC. So might as well evaluate the one guy who has that potential. You would still interview external candidates at the end of the year no matter what.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
He isnt allowing anything. Bears plays are just dumb.

Also the Bears jumped to 30+ because the teams were bad. Not that hard. Lazor took over during the soft part of the schedule.

He has been an average OC his entire career and quite frankly needs to focus on being OC as there is nore work he has to do with the O than Desai has to do on D. Making Lazor HC and OC is a recipe for him failing as too much to do.

Trying to shoulder bump a ball carrier instead of tackling him is not a play, Remy.

Dasai IS ALLOWING Jackson (and other DBs on the team) to do this.

I know this because they are doing it and are still on the field. Believe it or not I have personally seen NFL coaches take players off the field for not doing the fundamentals, and being benched for poor attitudes just like this. Dasai is making this choice, and it's not a good coaching trait.

Last edited:

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
How many years does Eddie Jackson need to be playing football for Nick Saban or the NFL before it is fair to blame him for his own blunders? Would ten be enough? Twelve?
If Desai disciplines Jackson for not tackling -- which is what I'm saying he should do -- then Jackson is being held accountable for Jackson's behavior, yes?

Who besides Desai is the proper person to hold Jackson accountable (blame Jackson)? It's rather bizarre logic for you to suggest I'm absolving Jackson of blame. Blame alone doesn't correct issues.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Trying to shoulder bump a ball carrier instead of tackling him is not a play, Remy.

Dasai IS ALLOWING Jackson, and other DBs on the team do this.

I know this because they are doing it and are still on the field. Believe it or not I have personally seen NFL coaches take players off the field for not doing the fundamentals, and being benched for poor attitudes just like this. Dasai is making this choice, and it's not a good coaching trait.

That should be players not play. Bears players are just dumb. Jackson has been playing like this since college. Yet he still started under Saban, Fangio and Pagano before Desai. Or did you see where one of those guys benched Eddie. And if so why hasnt he learned?

And dont be silly. You are not going to replace your 15m a year safety with a lesser player. Desai didnt give Jackson all that money.

I have personally seen good coaches not bench guys for stupid plays so that anecdote means nothing. The coaches that do that generally have depth to do so.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
That should be players not play. Bears players are just dumb. Jackson has been playing like this since college. Yet he still started under Saban, Fangio and Pagano before Desai. Or did you see where one of those guys benched Eddie. And if so why hasnt he learned?

And dont be silly. You are not going to replace your 15m a year safety with a lesser player. Desai didnt give Jackson all that money.

I have personally seen good coaches not bench guys for stupid plays so that anecdote means nothing. The coaches that do that generally have depth to do so.
Well, I'm using 'taking a player out' as the ultimate proof that Desai is allowing this behavior. But I hope you know I don't mean that would be the first thing he should do. It's obviously the last resort.

Isn't it pretty obvious that Desai would first have a private meeting with the DBs and say, "Hey, I see some of you guys trying to shoulder bump ball carriers instead of tackling them. THAT STOPS NOW. Not only is this costing the team games, you're going to hurt yourself. I'm setting up a tackling clinic for all of you and your attendance is required. If you don't tackle properly, you don't play."

If this doesn't produce results then Desai could call Jackson out, in front of the whole team, during practice, for doing the bump and not tackling. And if Jackson does this during a game, Desai can yank him off the field and ream him out on the sideline on national television. I mean, I know Desai is now in the booth... but whichever coach is in-charge on the sideline can be told to do it.

Are you suggesting it's likely Desai has done all this and we don't know about it? No, this is correctly identified as Desai's responsibility to address.

remydat

CCS Hall of Fame
Donator
CCS Hall of Fame '19
Liked Posts:
Well, I'm using 'taking a player out' as the ultimate proof that Desai is allowing this behavior. But I hope you know I don't mean that would be the first thing he should do. It's obviously the last resort.

Isn't it pretty obvious that Desai would first have a private meeting with the DBs and say, "Hey, I see some of you guys trying to shoulder bump ball carriers instead of tackling them. THAT STOPS NOW. Not only is this costing the team games, you're going to hurt yourself. I'm setting up a tackling clinic for all of you and your attendance is required. If you don't tackle properly, you don't play."

If this doesn't produce results then Desai could call Jackson out, in front of the whole team, during practice, for doing the bump and not tackling. And if Jackson does this during a game, Desai can yank him off the field and ream him out on the sideline on national television. I mean, I know Desai is now in the booth... but whichever coach is in-charge on the sideline can be told to do it.

Are you suggesting it's likely Desai has done all this and we don't know about it? No, this is correctly identified as Desai's responsibility to address.

No I am saying it isnt as simplistic as you are making it out to be. The Bears are hardly the only team that has players that do this. Are you saying all those coaches are not qualified now. It is an absurd suggestion.

The team played like shit against the Rams but then the Bears played well against the Bengals and Browns. Most of what you are complaining about was largely towards the end where the D was worn down after being on the field forever because of shitting offense.

Sculpt

Liked Posts:
No I am saying it isnt as simplistic as you are making it out to be. The Bears are hardly the only team that has players that do this. Are you saying all those coaches are not qualified now. It is an absurd suggestion.

The team played like shit against the Rams but then the Bears played well against the Bengals and Browns. Most of what you are complaining about was largely towards the end where the D was worn down after being on the field forever because of shitting offense.
You're making a case for Desai to be HC over other candidates; and I'm saying this issue keeps Desai off the top of the list for me.

Rem, I've been seeing the Bears DBs doing this all year... And in the first series multiple times, so don't say it's only because Jackson was tired. Jackson is not the only one, but he does it the most.

I watched the entire game of Bucs Vs Cowboys and I don't recall seeing any DB's doing a bunch of shoulder bumping instead of tackling. With the Bears DBs is regular and ridiculous.

And this isn't the first year the DBs have been doing it. Desai was the Safeties coach the last two years. And this year it's specifically Desai's responsibility to fix .

Bearly

Dissed membered
Donator
Liked Posts:
My favorite teams
  1. Chicago Cubs
  1. Chicago Bulls
  1. Chicago Bears
  1. Chicago Blackhawks
Did I miss something as thought Toub was not on the Bears. I am talkig internal candidates for interim HC.
I sure don’t want Tabor, lol. DeSai is doing great but it’s early for him.